Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New Shag prints

Pages: 1 14 replies

Hey guys, what do you think of these prints? I'm just going to get one of them but can't seem to decide which one...leaning towards the green

http://www.shagmart.com/

JT

I used to own the original "Yawner" so I'm partial to that one. It helps that it has a tiki mask also.

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Mar 3, 2007 8:04 AM

The original yawner would have have to go up in value just from the other day. Any regrets about selling it. What would you say that you replaced it with, from the money that you got.

Dang!!! Business card case out of stock. :(

JT

On 2007-03-03 08:04, teaKEY wrote:
The original yawner would have have to go up in value just from the other day. Any regrets about selling it. What would you say that you replaced it with, from the money that you got.

I actually bought several of the A-Z originals at the same time:

D-Devil
V-Venus
Y-Yawner

Some of the other originals I bought afterwards were:
-Waking Jose
-One Enchanted Evening
-The Hitcher

There were one or two more but I can't remeber at this point as it has been several years. The market for Shag originals peaked about 2 years ago so an original bought today from Shag would have a hard time getting the same price in the aftermarket (ebay). Oversaturation dropped the prices people were willing to pay. I still dig his style though, but they were investments at the time. I still have a few serigraphs that I like.

I actually bought several of the A-Z originals at the same time:

D-Devil
V-Venus
Y-Yawner

Some of the other originals I bought afterwards were:
-Waking Jose
-One Enchanted Evening
-The Hitcher

So who are you collecting now Jax? you seem to havea good eye for appreciating artwork!

JT

I'm actually collecting a lot of "Southern Folk Art" lately which has had a nice rise the last year in auction values. Most of the black artists do very well and many can still be had relatively cheap. Bill Traylor is an artist for example who has skyrocket in value. I travel to Switzerland 6-7 times a year for work and you'd be surprised the number of listed artists whose works are hanging in hotel lobbies or hallways. I recently bought an original ink drawing by Steinlen (chat noir) from a hotel that had it hanging in a hallway. It cost $200 but is worth $5000-6000 at auction. I love the thrill of the hunt.

Jax,

Wow very cool. If you don't mind me asking. how did you get up to speed on art? do you do this for a living? any recommended blogs or sites i can start to research?

I'm an art student up at the NH Institute of Art in Manchester, NH. I've been following Shag's work for almost 2 years now. His stuff inspires me and is awesome to look at. Almost everyone of his paintings/prints have a story to them. It's great. Long live Shag!

Here's my new shag. She's 40" x 40"

On 2007-03-23 13:32, TikiTrevor wrote:

Wow! Look at that pair of... turntables!!

Very nice.

LOL....yes, it looks awesome right above the two......turntables. :)

I have been watching Shag's work for a while, though I mostly collect another artist. I agree that his work has now over-saturated the market. They were smart to release prints as only signed and numbered with an average run of 200 at this point, but there is so much sameness to his work that a little can go a long way. Even as I say that, I can think of maybe a dozen or so works I REALLY REALLY want and that would be enough.

LA MODERN (NIGHT) and THE EXTRAORDINARY EVENING are two great works coming out now or in the near future. Nice! :)

Some think the Disney stuff has killed some of his appeal, as it might make him look like a sell-out, but I say that is, in part, what his style has been about. He mentions that his work "celebrates consumerism," and no one is more hip to that then the folks at the house of the mouse.

One could suggest that the large nudes are a reaction against Shag "selling out," and decidedly "anti-Disney," though I find it curious that they were done as Giclee prints, which is a print medium Shag has been openly critical of in the past. Still, for a print run of 5 of each print, it was cost effective and better pigment quality that a litho.

While I am eagerly buying Shag's serigraphs because I enjoy them, I will be curious to see what happens to the value of his work in the next ten years and,
if there is a decrease in the demand for the work, what impact that has on their publication schedule, which recently has been very aggressive, with at least one new limited serigraph print a month. I watched Pat Nagel's work soar high and then crash in value, and none of it impacted my appreciation of his work, but I am happy it is no longer "everywhere."

Gromit_Fan

On 2007-03-03 14:08, Jax Tiki wrote:

The market for Shag originals peaked about 2 years ago so an original bought today from Shag would have a hard time getting the same price in the aftermarket (ebay). Over-saturation dropped the prices people were willing to pay. I still dig his style though, but they were investments at the time. I still have a few serigraphs that I like.

[ Edited by: Gromit_Fan 2007-04-09 22:28 ]

[ Edited by: Gromit_Fan 2007-04-09 23:07 ]

I don't know that you can "sell out" as an illustrator turned gallery artist. Illustration is what used tah be called Commercial Art. As long as you aren't doing something against your moral code... It'ssnobby NY artsy types that worry about sell outs an' such. Total BS because the market dictates what you produce as a concept/hoity toity artist (if you wanna make a living) just as much as it does an illustration/lo brow's gallery work. Let's not forget that Michelangelo, etc did most of their work as commisions for the church. These guys weren't necessarily the most religous men either.

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-10 05:14 ]

Sneakytiki,

I am not worried about Shag "selling out," again, he has said his work "celebrates consummerism," but some folks and galleries have said the Disney stuff has impacted his appeal. Personally, I want the complete Disneyland lands series, so ya know where I stand on that one. (I would say the theaterical production "Shag with a Twist" has been the only what-were-they-thinking misfire.) We also agree on commerical illustrators and the potential to "sell out," but I am talking about perception from the some collectors and, well, being too closely associated with Disney is generally not a good thing for an artist, even one selling "lowbrow" fine art serigraphs. Lastly, Michelangelo was EXTREMELY religious, but you're right about DaVinci....it is also one of the reasons why these two giants of the art world hated each other...or at least why Michelangelo did not like DaVinci. But you're right, Michelangelo had zero interest in doing the frescos that make up the Sistine Chappel and resented being forced to do it by the Pope, making it some of the best "sell out" work ever done. :)

On 2007-04-10 05:03, Sneakytiki wrote:
I don't know that you can "sell out" as an illustrator turned gallery artist. Illustration is what used tah be called Commercial Art. As long as you aren't doing something against your moral code... It'ssnobby NY artsy types that worry about sell outs an' such. Total BS because the market dictates what you produce as a concept/hoity toity artist (if you wanna make a living) just as much as it does an illustration/lo brow's gallery work. Let's not forget that DaVinci, Michelangelo, etc did most of their work as commisions for the church. These guys weren't necessarily the most religous men either.

[ Edited by: Gromit_Fan 2007-04-10 05:26 ]

[ Edited by: Gromit_Fan 2007-04-10 05:27 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies