Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Who was Frank Schirman?

Pages: 1 4 replies

I have been collecting his carved Black Coral pieces for several years now, but can't find out anyhting about the man, and the history of his work. Can anyone help out?

Thanks in advance.

I love to google...so here is what I found for you.

About 2/3 down on the webpage is a book about the artist. It is #17286. You can click on the book to see an example of the inside. These are recently sold items but the page has tons of interesting items on it.
http://www.hawaiiana-shop.com/hawaiiana_store/solditems1.html

I don't know anything about the dealer of that book, so can't vouch for service, but you could always contact them off the home page here.
http://hawaiiana-shop.com/index.html

I noticed lots of sculptures on eBay....have fun shopping. :tiki:

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

VampTiki

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-03-06 21:11 ]

K

What are those sculptures made of? They can't actually be black coral - they're far too large and inexpensive. I always assumed they were upscale Coco Joe's - sort of the Lexus to Coco Joe's Toyota.

I've never seen one in person - they certainly look terrific in photos.

I have a few frank schirman sculptures, and I don't think they're pure resin. They're much heavier than any Coco Joes I have.
They may, however, be resin that has been infused with black coral dust, which might give them more weight? I know the older Coco Joes did something similar with their 'lava' and olive coloured items, giving them more a ceramic composition.

I found this on a Frank Schirman brochure recently.

"By combining black coral, from Hawaii's ocean floors, with other fillers, binders, and pigments, it is possible to artistically recreate these beautiful designs by Frank Schirman."

Pages: 1 4 replies