Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki Restaurant & Bar

Pages: 1 30 replies

NT

The Semi-World Famous Tiki Lau restaurant in Westford, MA, was sold on March 1, 2007 and is now "New Tiki".

I'm in the process of ordering new shirts for the Staff and I'd like to come up with a new Logo to use. The former Tiki Lau used a simple Palm Tree, but I'd like something more appropriate.

It has to be clear and understandable when embroidered onto a shirt. If we find the right idea, we'll use the logo more extensively, at the restaurant.

I'm more than happy to search our storage areas and backrooms, looking for an appropriate Tiki Souvenir, for anyone who comes up with the right logo for us.

If you have any ideas, please feel free to email me directly, at "[email protected]".

Thanks!

[ Edited by: New Tiki 2007-03-07 04:36 ]

J

Congratulations on the new change - glad to see you are going forth with the Tiki theme!
Just sent you a pm

S

I take it that New Tiki is open for business now?

I work right down the street in Boxborough. I'll do my best to stop in for lunch next week.

Or after work tonight. I've got a hankering for a Mai Tai and some good food, and patience is not one of my virtues. :)

T

Great news! We stopped into the Tiki Lau a couple years ago on our way back from New Hampshire, and enjoyed discovering a place that was deemed at the time to be non-operational. (Review in Locating Tiki forum)

Will you be giving the moai over the entrance a facelift? Any plans on getting some tiki mugs for serving drinks in? We'll plan on stopping by again during our vacation trip this July!

A

Hmmmm.... New Tiki.... Was trying to think of something that would reflect "new" -- How about a tiki coming out of a cracked egg?

That, is the best news I've gotten in a long time!!!!!

I'm close!

Woo hoo!

You supply the tiki--we'll supply the business (to some degree anyway...)

I was just in the lounge a few weeks ago.

It was Karaoke night, and although I'm not big on that (being a pro musician) I have to say the vibe in the very packed room was a very positive one, with a lot of nice people there.

The bamboo around the stage area is pretty darn cool too.

Also, welcome to Tiki Central New Tiki!

I hope you'll get very sparked by the info here and make the old Tiki Lau more tiki than ever!

I'll be there more than ever now, knowing you've come here to talk with us!

T

Welcome!!

I also live near by but have yet to make the big 10 mile drive over there. Glad to hear that the place has been purchased by someone who wants to keep the tiki spirit and improve upon it...

I don't know how much time you have spent searching the Tiki Central site so far but there are artists, mug manufacturers, musicians etc. that are "available" for consultation.

It's a real thrill to have a "new" Local Tiki place and if you get ambitious even a new Logo mug! I for one would love a special mug & perhaps a night of music with one or two of our local Musical groups?

Tikisgrl

ST

It looks like time for another contest? What will the winner get?

NT

On 2007-03-07 04:49, jpmartdog wrote:
Congratulations on the new change - glad to see you are going forth with the Tiki theme!

Thanks all, for the kind words!

We're kind of the "Accidental Tiki Owners". We're not really in the restaurant business, we're in the real estate business. That said, I'm learning the restaurant & lounge business, pretty damn quick! Every day is more interesting news ... this being the 5th day & all :)

Today we found out there's a "silent alarm" switch, which brings the local Police, in a panic. My manager thought that switch turned on the sign! Later tonight, I found out from an old customer, that a huge fiberglass "display" over the bar, actually has a close pump system which runs a waterfall. My manager is currently trying to figure out how to turn it on. I'm not actually sure what the display is, the previous owner referred to it as, "The Virgin Budda".

By Friday, the entire loung should be re-painted, with new Tiki lights installed over the mirrors.

Someone mentioned the ornament over the doorway [I'm sorry, I don't remember what it's called]? I hope to have those "red eyes" lit, by Friday.

Right now, we're simply trying to get the place cleaned up, improve the food quality & service, and keep the bar hummin'. As someone mentioned, the Karaoke draws a great crowd on Thursday, Friday & Saturday nights. I'm thinking of adding a comedy night, as well as live entertainment, on Saturday nights.

There are hardly any original "Tiki" products in use, at the restaurant. I have dug into some of the boxes in the attic & found some old mugs and glasses. Once I get the organizational & functional parts of the place going, I'm going to spend some time looking around for the old Tiki stuff and probably order some new stuff. My first step was to inform the bartenders, that we're going to back to serving "umbrella drinks", the way they should be served ... with umbrellas & fresh fruit. I order a case of Pineapples today and I think they'll be the first fresh pineapples the place has seen, in 15 years.

It's going to be a long process, that's revenue driven, but it's going to fun.

Once again, thanks for all the kind comments ... stop in & say hello .... & don't be too disappointed, when I add some "American" classics to the bar menu. Unfortunately, I need some lunch time bar business & not everyone wants to eat General Gau Chicken for lunch, every single day.

Brian

T

Bump...

So are the eye's lit up? I was going to drive by today to see but, was too lazy!

Anyone been in yet?

Tikisgrl

S

I actually stopped in tonight. They do karaoke Thu, Fri, and Sat nights and my wife loves karaoke, so I got to have a couple Mai Tais while she sang.

All in all, it was typical of Chinese restaurants, and decent. The Mai Tais were good - not too sweet, not too sour - though in that typical Chinese Restaurant way. That is, they weren't "proper" Mai Tais though I would have been amazed if they were. No mint, no umbrella, and no "cherry and pineapple" flag so it was a very boring presentation. The Pu Pu platter was good, though the jumbo fried shrimp were not so great.

The decor is aging, and has some tiki but not a lot. Some tikis and bamboo, a large Budhhist-looking statue behind the bar, a waterfall in the fron entrance.

The crowd in the bar was a very good crowd. It was loud because of the karaoke, but the patrons were all a friendly bunch. Everyone kept the waitresses and bartenders going at a decent pace, but even by midnight nobody was overtly drunk, let alone hammered.

I'm sure we'll be going back. It's tough to get my wife into a Chinese restaurant, so if she'll feels like singing I'm sure I could be convinced to have a couple Mai Tais.

PS: The eyes were not lit up yet. :(

[ Edited by: Scottes 2007-03-10 22:09 ]

T

Thought that I would do a drive by & take some pictures... No one seemed to mind me walking around and taking pictures in fact they were really nice & friendly!

Here's some shots!

New Tiki Sign

Old sign is half gone

To early for bright eyes but the Moai is waiting for a little fixer upper I think

A couple of masks on the wall

Waterfall

Waterfall has 5 turtles & a big fish...

& last but not least a really neat older Tiki!

No Tiki mugs yet but it's looking great with a fresh coat of paint!

T

Thanks for the update, tikisgrl. Doesn't look like much has changed since we were up there a couple years ago (especially the turtle pond.) But Rome wasn't built in a day, so the fresh paint is a good start!

Best of luck on the new business. Keep updating the tiki and the people will come. I swear by The Grog Log Mai Tais......yummy but pack a powerful punch. Love the Maoi over the front door....he is a cutie!!! :)

excuse me, did you say you found some old mugs in the attic?
Could you illuminate us on what they look like?
There are a number of us collectors who take some interest in the subject.

Also, perhaps we can have another New England Ohana event there at the New Tiki?

We can show the owners that there are some of us core supporters who will travel to appreciate a good tiki place.

By the way, I would suggest marketing yourself in such a way that coming to your restaurant is an escape from the cold harsh world of New England. When we have cold snowy days, who would not want to be taken away to a tropical paradise?

..sbim

It's great that you are keeping it tiki. I agree with VampiressRN that updating and adding more tiki will keep customers coming, along with great food and service. The restaurant business can be pretty tough, so I wish you all the best!!

New Tiki, in case you hadn't noticed, we have a thread in the Tiki Events forum about coming to your restaurant on the 14th of April.

Consider yourself warned.

MWAH HAH HAAAHHHH!!!!

..sbim

NT

Thanks for all the replies!

No, I haven't been able to find the red light bulbs in stock anywhere, but they have been ordered.

All the lighting under the building soffit has been replaced. The Moai [is that right term?] will be taken down & refinished, as soon as the weather cooperates.

We re-painted the bar/lounge area. While we were painting, a couple of Tiki Masks walked out the door when we weren't looking.

Drink umbrellas arrived yesterday. New Bar Glasses arrived on Monday. New Scorpian Bowls today. Swizzle Sticks were ordered last night.

A state of the art, Internet capable Juke Box was installed last week.

All bartenders will undergo new training this week. NO drink will be served without proper decoration. As you probably know, we can't really use Gardenias or other real flowers in the drinks. In order to use them, they have to be considered a "food product", produced without pesticides or anything else like that. The cost is simply prohibitive.

New PuPu Platter bowls arrived last week & shrimp will come out of the PuPu Platters, to be replaced by chicken fingers and crab rangoons. New Menus are in the works.

On the subject of Mai Tais. The Tiki Lau has been known for many years, as the home of "Jimmy's Mai Tais". Jimmy Yee was one of the former owners. I'm in favor of going back to the traditional Mai Tai recipe, but I'll also have to keep "Jimmy's", in some form. Suggestions?

I haven't had time to get up into the archives to see what I can find, but I will. If someone reminds close to the day the group is coming, I'll make sure I have some to give away.

I will probably stop doing Karaoke every Thursday, Friday & Saturday night ... that's just too much lousy singing, for any person to endure.

Brian

S

As far as the Mai Tais, they were good, just boring without decoration. I wouldn't necessarily jump on replacing them, just presenting them better.

A "traditional" Mai Tai is probably prohibitive due to cost and time. Though if you wish to try I'm sure we'll be willing to sample. :)

New Tiki,

Congrats on the new biz and of keeping the tikitheme going. Also a big "Aloha" for joining the Tiki Central ohana. If you have any questions from bamboo to tiki's to mugs to cocktail recipie's TC is the place for answers.

Next time I am up that way I'll make it a point to stop in.

Matt

Also try and ensure your new juke box has a fine selection of Hawaiian and Exotica.

And Billy Joel, Matt?
heh heh.

..sbim

Dang. that big, beautiful tiki by the entrance to the bar didn't walk out, did he? That was the best one.

As far as Jimmy Mai Tai's go, I think you should keep it. If people liked it, it's a part of the place you'd wanna keep.

Really looking forward to next month! I hope this can be "our place".

T

Pappy check page one pictures? Is that the great big tiki? New mugs? New Swizzles? Yay!! As for the Mai Tais... this one will be my first!! So as long as it has alcohol and a pretty umbrella it should be great right?

Tikisgrl

Tikisgirl,

I like the way you think:

"So as long as it has alcohol and a pretty umbrella it should be great.."

New Tiki, I would also suggest in case you hadnt figured it out already, that if you want to make a special mug just for your restaurant, there are a number of manufacturers and designers on TC.

Tiki Farm, Munktiki, Bosko, Tiki Tony...

just food for thought.

..sbim

I stopped in tonight since I was in the neighborhood.

Red eyes on the A Frame Tiki were ablaze!

Keep up the great work!

I posted pics here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15840&forum=2&start=15&15

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2007-03-26 21:20 ]

Hi New Tiki,

Congratulations on getting up and running! It's so nice to see some more representation of the culture in this generally Tiki-starved part of the country. And it is evident that the culture is indeed important to you, which means you will have a loyal core of supporters in us here.

I could not help noticing the stage there. Will there be any live music there at some point?

T

On 2007-03-27 07:17, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
I could not help noticing the stage there. Will there be any live music there at some point?

Excellent question! I noticed it's probably the right size for Waitiki to play on. Maybe we need to make some subtle hints to New Tiki that this would be a great opening act for their music series!

Pages: 1 30 replies