Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

El Diablo

Pages: 1 4 replies

Can anyone tell me the references they have for an El Diablo?

I saw a reference to Trader Vic having made them in the 1940s, and I would love to know if it is in any books of that era. As the earliest I have is a reference from the 1950s.

Cheers!

George

My 1948 Bartender's Guide by Trader Vic, has a Diablo cocktail but no El Diablo.

The Diablo Cocktail

3/4 brandy
3/4 ounce French vermouth
3 dashes curacao
2 drops Angostura bitters

Stir with cracked ice; strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Serve with a maraschino cherry.

I checked my TV bartender's guide revised (1974?) and TV Pacific Island Cookbook (1968) and came up with the following:

El Diablo
In a 10 Ounce glass with cracked ice:
juice of 1/2 lime; drop shell in glass
1 ounce tequila
1/2 ounce creme de cassis
ginger ale

Squeeze lime and drop shell in glass. Add tequila and creme de cassis. Stir and fil glass with ginger ale. Server with a malt straw.

That's from the cookbook. The guide has an actual measure for the lime juice but other than that it's the same.

[ Edited by: sporkboyofjustice 2007-03-13 12:10 ]

M
mbanu posted on Wed, Mar 14, 2007 2:06 PM

1946 Trader Vic's Book of Food and Drink has it under "Mexican El Diablo" in the Odd Stuff chapter. :)

MEXICAN EL DIABLO [T/V palmtree]

I hate like hell to bring up unpleasant things at a time like this but go easy on this one because it's tough on your running board.

1/2 lime
1 ounce tequila
1/2 ounce crème de cassis
Ginger ale

Squeeze and drop shell of lime in a 10-ounce glass; add cracked ice, tequila, and crème de cassis; fill rest of glass with ginger ale.

Thanks.

Pages: 1 4 replies