Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Texas tikiphile gathering at Dallas Trader Vic's May 5th, 2007

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

D

Thanks to Kenike for getting this all together, and thanks to everybody for a big Texas Tiki Welcome!!

We had such a blast and enjoyed meeting everyone. A special little Mahalo from Castlehune. Thank you to Formikahini for getting the prizes together.

The trip to the storeroom was the froth on the Mai Tai. We returned to the bar after stashing our bamboo for one more round of drinks to end the night.

We'll be looking forward to the next Texas Tiki gathering!

A hui hou kakou

Dobrolic, Summer Susan and Castlehune

We had a great time, too. Just wanted to add our thanks to Kenike, for organizing the evening, and Formikahini for the delightful bonus of a drawing for tiki prizes.

Formikahini and Unkle John - add your own captions!

"Not only is it either half full or half empty, it's WATER!!"

Many many mohallos to Kenike for setting everything up and to everyone who attended our festivities. Julie and I had a blast! After dreaming of something like this for a few years it was great to see it all come together. We hope everyone enjoyed themselves and had a safe trip back home. And yes I do plan on a next Texas Tiki event! I have pics aswell I plan on sharing but it will be tonight when I get home from work when I'll have a chance to post them. Thank you everyone and we hope to see you all soon!

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-05-07 10:07 ]

Good caption, Unkle John! Explains that look of incredulous disgust and outrage.

Kenike and Formikahini:

K

Jeeze…I don’t even know where to begin..

First, BIG MAHALOZ to everyone who attended. I think this is the complete list of TC folks who made it (not including spouses, guests, cute kids, pets, etc.)

Uncle John
Rugbymatt
Formikahini
Kenike
Dobrolic
Benehune
Rumbuddy
Limbo Lizard
PremEx
Gretanicole
Tikibrand

My final count was 23 people. If you couldn’t make it this time, there will be LOTS more opportunities I’m sure…hopefully soon.

And speaking of opportunities, it was wonderful to finally meet a lot of the folks I’ve been chatting with on line for the last 2-3 years. I’m really, really hoping this is the start of a bigger tiki community in TX. For the last 4 or so years I’ve been whining on TC about how nothing happens in TX and if only we had a place we could meet up, etc. It’s also an added bonus that our gatherings can attract people from outside of TX (thanks again PremEx for making the trip, and not to mention Rugbymatt who just happened to be in town!). The rumor mill is buzzing about Trader Vic’s returning to Houston sometime in the future. Let’s keep our fingers crossed!

Anyway, I wish I had more pictures to share but as PremEx mentioned earlier, I at times was too focused on making sure everything was running smoothly. My apologies for getting seated much later than I expected. The big party before us stayed 90 minutes longer then they anticipated which was why we were seated in the main dining room instead of back in the Puka room. The staff were great and Rachel kept the drinks and appetizers coming at the bar.

And wow!! Formikahini shows up with door prizes! What a treat...I walked away with a Hukilau tie and a 4 record box set…not to mention my trades from Unkle John and and a bottle of Dave & Anna’s mai tai mix from Dobrolic & family. His little Castlehune is the best behaved 3 year old on the planet and stayed until the very end. My kids wouldn’t have lasted 30 minutes.

In closing, thanks again to EVERYONE for making this happen. Let’s do it again soon.

~K

[ Edited by: Kenike 2007-05-07 19:11 ]

Texas tikiphiles!

I am so sorry I missed this event. I had a last minute emergency (took my mom to the hospital) and couldn't attend. I look forward to meeting everyone in the near future for our next event. The summer is coming ... so it's a prime to to drink up in Trader Vics and out of the Texas heat!!

Blixa the cat

UJ

No worries Sean!
We'll catch ya next time.
And as promised.. more photos:

Kenike & Unkle John

Unkle John & his wahine, Aunt JuJu

JuJu kissing the keester of a menehune for goodluck.

me enjoying a Suffering Bastard in his new SB mug.

Castle-hune! She is so cute.

Calling Elvis, is there anybody home?

Cooking our meal.

Table #1

Table #2

Desert: A Polynesian Snowball & Tahitian Coffee Creme Brule'

Topping off the evening with a Black Stripe.

Anyone get any shots of the viewing of the TV tiki?

P
PremEx posted on Tue, May 8, 2007 7:38 AM

On 2007-05-07 20:06, Unkle John wrote:

Anyone get any shots of the viewing of the TV tiki?

You know...now that you mention it...I don't recall seeing anyone taking pictures in there. Perhaps they were afraid their flash would awaken that sleeping giant?

But more likely, everyone had their hands full with something else. :wink:

R

Kenike,

Mahalo brudah for organizing this butt kickin' shindig. We had a great time and I promise there are more photos to come. It was super to meet so many great folks as well as show the TV staff what the TC Ohana are all about. Our 3:30 a.m. Sunday wake up call was just wrong but you gotta do what you gotta do to get the cheap flights some time. Everything about the reborn Dallas Trader Vic's is top-shelf, food, drinks, mugs, decor, staff, et al. Mahalo to F for being the prize girl too. Hope to see some of you at Hukilau next month or Oasis in August.

Matt

You know...now that you mention it...I don't recall seeing anyone taking pictures in there. Perhaps they were afraid their flash would awaken that sleeping giant?

He didn't wake up, but I think the poor guy moaned a little.

He's in pretty precarious shape. I wonder if he could be impregnated with clear penetrating epoxy?

R

More photos from Saturday Night!

R

Tiki Puka Puka I STILL Love You!

Thanks for the pictures...looks like you all had a great time. Fabulous shirts guys!!!

On 2007-05-09 20:55, Rumbuddy wrote:
Tiki Puka Puka I STILL Love You!
RUMBUDDY!!!!

I mean, RUMnotyourBUDDY!!!!
Sorry you had to leave early; I so enjoyed getting to meet you, and I look forward to another tiki evening with you again.

And we won't share a tiki puka puka. We'll have a Coke. Maybe a ginger ale.

It was a fun evening, made better by getting to hang with you for a bit.
'Til next time!
Formikahini

Oh MAN that was so not fair, that NEVER happens - I was having a great time meeting everyone! Kenike, so glad you pulled that together. I'll post pics in about a week. Unkle John, I will have to get with you next time, I didn't get to talk to you. Benehune, I hope we can get together the next time we are in San Antonio, isn't that funny that you went to high school with Shawna?

I have been doing so well on Weight Watchers and didn't want to blow it so I drank a lot of water but barely ate all that day. We got there at 6 in time for one round in the bar for seating by 7. We had our Scorpion Bowl for four, and then my Tiki Puka Puka (which I also shared), and then we still weren't seated so I ordered the next Tiki Puka Puka and didn't even drink much of it. It didn't seem like I drank too much but with waiting too long to eat, WOW my fun was cut short. I truly felt bad that several ladies were spending any time coming to my assistance and not fully enjoying their own experience!

Formikahini you are a delight! Thanks!

Mahalo! It's all goooood.

On 2007-05-10 10:54, Rumbuddy wrote:
Unkle John, I will have to get with you next time, I didn't get to talk to you.

We met a few times that night :)
But all is cool in my book sweetheart, by 9 o'clock I was starting to fall sleep. It's how my body has gotten accustomed to working again, not because it was boring, which it was not! I felt like I was a zombie after nine. But yes, we will meet up again and catch up. Julie wanted to talk more too.. infact Saturday night really got her hooked with the tiki-bug. We should try to have a home bar tour. I know that there is enough people in DFW that we can do it. If anyone ever heads towards Lubbock give me a shout, you are welcome to stop by mi casa.

On 2007-05-10 10:54, Rumbuddy wrote:
We had our Scorpion Bowl for four, and then my Tiki Puka Puka (which I also shared), and then we still weren't seated so I ordered the next Tiki Puka Puka and didn't even drink much of it. It didn't seem like I drank too much...

Wow, sorry Rumbuddy, I didn't realize. I guess that all slipped under my radar. Even so, I came away from the evening with the same understanding: "Beware the Tiki Puka Puka!"
We came into the bar late, and Monica commented to me about those gardenias in your drinks, but ordered a Peachtree Punch, then a Potted Parrot. Later, I recall your husband standing behind you in the bar, wearing a tight smile of grim resignation, as you were putting your hands on on your face, and shouting, "My face feels weird. I can't feel my teeth!" All you ladies erupted in laughter, and, in response to that endorsement, Monica ordered a Tiki Puka Puka. She finished most of it, went to the restroom, and before she got back, they took us to our tables and bussed her drink. She complained that she hadn't finished it, and they gave her a fresh one. Then she ordered another. And another.
Now, Monica can drink me under the table (think Karen Allen, in Raiders). But she was definitely showing signs beyond what I'd expect after only 4 or 5 drinks. I heard her utter some funny non-sequiturs in the table conversations - she didn't seem to notice that about 20 minutes had passed since they were last discussing what she was commenting about.
Well, after seeing you gals getting so hammered on those Pukas, I looked it up. There's the equivalent of 4 ounces of rum in it, about like 3 typical bar drinks, these days. That's like 2 Mai Tais. Despite the gardenia, it's a pretty aggressive drink. Trying to collect a bouquet is asking for trouble.
So, in your defense, the T.P.P.'s definitely the kind of drink that tends to blind-side you, anyway. On an empty stomach,... you never had a chance.

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2007-08-22 16:00 ]

double post, my bad.

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-05-16 08:58 ]

Rumbuddy, no matter what is said about that night, remember that we love you.

You are ohana here on TC and here in TX.

R

More Pictures! They are a little bit redundant of what has already been posted, but the more the merrier

Thanks Dobrolic, I believe you took these for us.

Ahhhhhh the Scorpion Bowl

Tikiphiles at work

The "Kodak Moment" - She says, "I went to high school with you. I know your sisters, and I know your mother!" He says, "I don't remember...Were we bad?" She says, "Oh yes. Very bad!"

At Trader Vic's, even the water is more fun.

While you drink rum, you have more teeth but you feel them less

Watch out for sneaky puka sippers

Worshipping Tiki

Everybody loves Tiki Puka Puka!

B

Rumbuddy, we had a blast meeting you and can't wait until our next visit to Dallas so we can see you guys again. Meeting more TC people was great. My wife now knows why I enjoy tiki so much: it is a whole culture.
More pix to come, and maybe a story if I can remember one.

Pages: 1 2 69 replies