Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Went to Bali Hai today

Pages: 1 11 replies

Still very tasty I must say.

HodadHank and I are sitting and chattin' it up and he noticed the "new" Bali tiki masks on most of the pillars in the middle of the dining area. Sadly, they look very new and not what a TCer might consider to be something that the Bali Hai would even consider buying.

An employee was kinda bummed when we asked when the BH's renovation would be finished. We said that we wanted it to be "like it was" when it was really great. He said that the "port commission" was not keen to any renovation. He said maybe next year.

Maybe someone should (who knows how to) get an email setup to get a great new old Bali Hai back together before next year. Kinda like the TV at the BH's Hilton.

Who can help get the Bali Hai up and running like it should be??
If people in Maine of Austrailia could send letters to someone important then just maybe it could get going before Oasis. Hmmmm? It would be better than the beige "Ilsands."

Dr. No.....sorry just had to call you that (you know...my Bond obsession). I love your idea about encouraging a revival of the Bali Hai....you can certainly count me in on that. I used to hang out on Shelter Island as a kid. I remember one time I entered a chalk drawing in a art contest at the Bali Hai and I won a first place ribbon. I have that drawing still somewhere in storage, that place brings back fond memories for me. Also, Point Loma High had our 10 year reunion at the Bali Hai back in 1981...it was a blast as we had the whole place to ourselves. I just love that place...and the grounds outside facing the city are so beautiful. Let me know what we can do to kick off the revival work, I am happy to help. :)

On 2007-03-13 21:33, VampiressRN wrote:
Also, Point Loma High had our 10 year reunion at the Bali Hai back in 1981

That is funny. My wife will be gradjimcated in May and she will be "Dr. No" I'll just be "hey Doc, did you lose you watch or what?"

Pictures of the reunion would be great!!! If anything, great for the TCers to see some 25 year old pics of the Bali Hai.

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-03-14 10:20 ]

I forgot to mention the brand new southwest color scheme they are starting to paint the interior with. :-? Lavender and a teal blue.

Or maybe it is kinda Disneyesque. Just can't tell yet.
I'll try to snap off some pics.

Signature? I ain't signin nothin!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-03-14 10:19 ]

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-03-14 10:19 ]

A

I'd be willing to help things along, but I'd want to see a full presentation of what Bali Hai is thinking first. I've read and heard various rumors, but I've never seen anything official.

I'm sure the folks at the Hanalei consider what they're doing to be a "renovation" as well, and I don't want to support something that ends up like that.

C

Update !
Ignore everything that happens at the Bali Hai until their true renovation, coming later this year. They are planning big stuff and there are a few Tiki contractors you all know involved! Do Not Panic!

One thing I can say is that Larry the owner has an attic full of every kind of Tiki antique you can imagine, way more stuff than is at the restaurant now. He's doing everything he can to get that stuff out and on display, it's a long process. He's got stuff you dream about after three too many Mai Tai's.

When it gets renovated and reopens, there'll be one BIG PARTY.

BUT -

Keep in mind that the "Port Authority" HATES both Bali Hai and Humphrey's! They rent the land to them. They'd love to up the rent and kick both out, then install a bunch of condos, or a mall, or a low-level ultra expensive hotel there instead. Larry will explain the situation to anybody who wants to listen.

It's probably the best real estate in San Diego. Run by a City Board. I'm sure developers are knocking on the Port A's door every day with architect drawings....

So just keep crossing your fingers and think positive!

[ Edited by: Cammo 2007-03-14 15:16 ]

T

Well that's certainly good news!

Thanks for the reassurance, Cammo! It does sound the changes could be exciting, rather than disappointing. My friends and I go to Bali Hai all the time (almost absurdy often), partially because we're amazed at what a bargain it is. With the amount & quality of food & drink you get, plus that view, it's hard to believe they haven't had to raise prices or even get pushed out. I love it now, but it would be great to see it returned to it's former spendor! (And I'm all for delicious new menu items if they can add without deleting what I already love!)

I'd seen here on TC that a big project might be happening earlier, so we asked one of our regular servers about it back around New Years and were told it probably wouldn't be until early 2008. I guess we'll have to go even more often, just in case they have to close for a bit this year to do the work.

Where are the pitures Cammo?

On 2007-03-14 10:27, Cammo wrote:
Update !
... there are a few Tiki contractors you all know involved! Do Not Panic!

What's with the cloak and dagger crapola, you obviously know some juicy details. Spill it, Cam. Don't make me break out my dental equipment.

...Is it safe?

I was there last November and was impressed with the "bones" of the place. Architecturally speaking the place is a gem...wouldn't be hard to resurrect the historical nuances. I took a massive amount of detail shots and will post them if there is interest. Hmmmmmm...Wonder if they'll need a preservation consultant?
Will work for food and drink. http://www.historical-integrity.com

Swamp

[ Edited by: Swamp Tiki 2007-03-30 21:53 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies