Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Mooney's velvet finished- paintings by pat vassar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies

Queen K- thanks a lot!
Benz-thanks very much.the darker brown base has a very wide range. from black to a light brown, it's just a matter of layers. the cannibals painting actually has not a drop of black in it anywhere, thanks to that brown. thanks again.

well, here's the finished happy cannibals. was done a couple of weeks ago, but only now got around to shooting it.

and here is my first oil on black velvet, finished today. sorry there were no in-progress pics. done at work, and didn't really think of it. i think it's about 11x14. a lot of fun; a lot to learn- so there will be many more.

how it really looks is in between these two.

and here's a few shots of the other in progress-

got the idea when reading peter pan to my daughter last week.
mermaid lagoon and cannibal cove. -what the place names on the signs will read.

it's original intent was/is for a show at a coffee house. but it will be going to hukilau with all the others.

it's title: 'So who was Joe?'

Deaamn! All looks great, Homes. That velvet turned out killa! I was waitin on it. Really dig the dark earie vibe it gives.. Talk witchu soon.

awesome stuff!!! let me know when you are ready to sell sumthin'!!....would love to add your work to the bamboo bunker gallery!!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jun 1, 2007 2:30 AM

Very nice work. The cannibal trio is a nice tiki style still life, the black velvet is a great traditional poly pop piece, and the new piece is shaping up to be awesome too :D

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Jun 3, 2007 1:31 AM

That velvet Marq is suh-weet! I wouldn't mind a piece of that action either. Add me to the "I'd like to get one of those when you have some available" list.....

hey Freddie, thanks much. sorry 'bout the phone tag- will try ya again tomorrow.
hewey- thank you. a little variety is always good. that last one is finished, but forgot to shoot it before delivering it for a show this evening. maybe i can get some pics posted before hukilau next weekend.
Tipsy and Paipo-great to hear! almost everything is available. please pm me about any interrests, and i'd be happy to provide more info. i was going to wait till after the hukilau to put some things up for sale, but anything can be reserved or bought at any time. commisioned work is always welcome of course, others' ideas are always rewarding. let me know!
thanks again, all!

YEah! THat black velvet piece is Kicking! Awesome work!

That black velvet really is cool - that's something I'd like to try soon...

hey Tiki Shark and Sam G- thanks a lot! there will definately be more black velvets. as you said, Sam- been wanting to try them for a while. a lot of fun, no doubt.

The velvet is intense! great mood too no matter what the surface!

thanks a lot, suburban! the dark backgound starts the mood for you,-before any paint is even applied.half the work done already!

M

Hey Pat! It's great seeing the progress pictures of 'So who was Joe?' after I saw the finished product at Hukilau. It really is incredible, as is all your work! It was great meeting you at Hukilau! Thanks again.

hey there meiko! thanks a lot! it was great meating you, too. love your pieces i got. idon't know if i even have pics of the finished painting to post. i'll make sure tommorrow. talk with you soon i hope!

wow! just realized i hadn't posted "so who was joe?" finished yet. i think i have it her somewhere.

i'm going to post some more older ones soon here. enjoy!

aloha all! here's one i finished yesterday. did it at work in my spare time. took longer than you might think, being it's only 2x2.75". yes, inches. much fun, though. i think it's called 'nude wahine #15'.

hope you like! Mahalo!!

I like how you wrapped it around on the side of the canvas and nice detail in such a little space. Very cool! You really can do it all!

Craig

wow...
greentikipat-you are a multi-talented tiki Renaissance man!
The "Joe" piece turned out GREAT! Besides the characters and the landscape,there's so many other interesting detailsin the shadows/waters/clouds.....Incredible!

Grr, I don't know what's going on with my connection--at first I couldn't log onto Tiki Central, and now that I can, it won't show images consistently (I saw Sam Gambino's new work, but no sigs or my own artwork in my thread are showing up).

Anyway, I'll drop back in to check out your work, maybe things will be working again at that time. I'm looking forward to it!

Take care,

I.

craig, thanks again, man. you help keep the mana building!
LLT- thanks much, Kenny; what a comp, that's awesome! live for the detail.
ivanchan- hope you can straighten out your problems. i've got someone coming over tomorrow night to de-bug my system and straighten me out. lots of cool stuff on your site.

T

Ear lobes like the Easter Is. Klans. Sweet

well aloha all!!
here's some pics of my new painting. i'm only doing it at work in spare time so far, but will take it home to cheat and use the airbrush soon! maybe not- i'm actually trying to get through this whole thing with out the air brush, but still not shure. we'll see.
this piece is actually not new, i 've been dabbing at it off and on for a long time now. these pics are actually a bit old, i'll get new ones up this week.
MAHALO for looking!!
the browse button for the image upload is not doing anything, and i am too tired to mess with it. i will post them tomorrow.

so now my 'image upload' is working again, and i don't know why. i'm not gonna complain!
this newer piece is pretty much self-titled. it's been very slow-going, sometimes weeks without anything done. i'm still debating on whether to use the airbrush at some point, but will try not to. we shall see. if i can't get a desired effect by hand-brushing, then on goes the compressor.

it's further along than these pics, and since things are working properly again, i'll post them very soon. mahalo for looking!

M
mieko posted on Sun, Mar 30, 2008 9:25 PM

Welcome Back Pat! Thanks for posting your new stuff! I've been hoping to see some updates from you, are you going to make it to Hukilau again?

B

WOW Pat, I'm Really drooling over this one. Looking forward to seeing you at the Chop soon, :lol:

RAD!
that Green Tiki is TOO COOL!
Lovin those flames in the mouth!
and those little Tikis are waaaaaaaaay scary/funny!
Great work so far!
Can't wait to see it finished!

aloha guys!
hey Mieko- thanks, it's been a while.-i will be at the huk. see you there?
Benz man, thanks a lot. looking much foreward to the chop.
LLT-mahalo man!! i'm about to get back on it now-got some free time here at work; of course, as soon as i start, we know what will happen. oh well, gotta make that $$.
mahalos all- more pics very soon.

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Apr 3, 2008 11:38 AM

WOW that new painting is sweet! Is that going to be a print we can get? Please consider it!

Howzit, Pat? Luv your paintings.. Colors and detail are always on point. Lookin'forward to seein' the wahine get done up. It looks like the GreenTiki is gonna put some teef marks on dat azz,,,,Marv Albert style.:lol: R U gonna be doin up anymore of those mini paintings? Those are pretty cool! Hows Lil' Vassar doin'? I should be sendin' U some pics soon. Take care. fB

On 2008-04-03 11:38, Kahu wrote:
WOW that new painting is sweet! Is that going to be a print we can get? Please consider it!

I'll second that.. How 'bout that "happy cannibals" piece. That would be one helluva print.

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2008-04-03 11:49 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2008-04-03 11:50 ]

Cool I love the in progress shots! New painting is looking good!

H
harro posted on Thu, Apr 3, 2008 2:40 PM

awesome paintings dude!!!
love the colours on the last one, specially the green - i guess you love green aswell being your name an all...

[ Edited by: harro 2008-04-03 14:41 ]

aloha all!!
hey kahu- thanks much, man. funny you should say something about prints- i just today locked in an insane photographer(finally!) as soon as this piece is finished, we'll be shooting it and a few others for some quality(but still affordable) prints.
freddie man- mahalo! yea -that azz gonna have a few scratch/teef marks already. little one's doin great- thanks for askin. the happy cannibals will be avail finally before hukilau. that one was designed to be a print, been a long wait.
Tiki Shark- aloha and mahalos, man! thanks for stoppin in.
harro- much mahalos; yea,i likes green...

so i didn't get to work on the painting yesterday, someone walked in as soon as i got up from the puter. if the one at home starts working again, i'll post the further pics i already have. take care all

well not much new work done, but here's all i have since the last. a bit more has been done to it since, but i'll wait for some more to shoot.

mahalo!!

that re-posting was pisssing me off i remember- bad keyboard at work! well no more!! back online at home now, and back at work on tiki paintings! here are a couple for hukilau- more of them to come.

unfortunately i only snapped one shot of this one today, so all we see is the washed-out, bright version. no flash, too. it was over-cast today outside and would have been good photo weather, but i was in a hurry to get grocery shopping done. ahh- the struggles of a houseman. shooting black velvet is no easy task. of course oil paint presents it's own difficulties as well.

here is my sweetheart dancing at midnight for me. oil on velvet is a lot of fun. i'll be doing a lot of these as time goes on. as with the first velvet piece, (these are two and three)i'm showing two pictures, one no flash and one with. the true image is between the two. yes, i will start shooting them outside;)

there we are for now, more to come soon!

on a side note, a business partner and myself will be opening a new tattoo shop called 'Electric Tiki'- the decor will be that of a tiki lounge. very cool stuff in the mix. we'll have a banner add and website up in the next month or so. i'll also be contacting a few folks out there for some decor/art for the spot. mahalo for stopping by!!

HK

Aloha Pat - Great looking work, man! Seeing your post reminds me that I need to stop in the shop to say hi to you and JD sometime. I'm right around the corner and drive by all the time. I'll be sure to drop by sometime soon.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to checking out your wares at Hukilau.

J

M

Ooo, I really like that full moon scene! really nice! Would look good with my print of your underwater tiki. :)
Can't wait to see you at Hukilau!

K
Kahu posted on Fri, May 23, 2008 11:09 AM

Pat, love your Wahine on velvet! Great stuff. Wish I was going to be at Hukilau to see your stuff in person!

Great stuff, the Drive-in poster actually surprised me.

Aloha Pat !!! WOW A guy goes away to have his sons tonsils removed and comes back to something really GOOD as in smokin creativity !!! Really diggin your Art my friend, your one Talented person, Mahalo for sharin, Aloha , Mooney

hey J- right on man- look foreward to seein you.i'm only at the shop mon, wed- fri noon till 5 or later. jd's working up at the clearwater shop these days, but we're both lookin foreward to seein/hearin you guys next month.
Meiko! what's up? cool- maybe we work something out, eh? can't wait to see your cool wares this year. Mahalo!
Kahu-man, thanks a lot. wish you could be there -you're always such a cool supporter. much mahalos!
mr Hamel- thanks again, i really appreciate your compliments, as well as your works. i really love your stuff.
Mooney my man-thanks a lot my friend! i kept thinking back to your waves while trying to paint the smaller one. take care -see you soon?

Bump, Amazing art here!

B

Awesome stuff Pat, I need to be 2 people so I can spend all day over here. Your Green Tiki would look Great on my wall.
See you at Hukilau!

K
KuKu posted on Sun, Jun 1, 2008 4:19 PM

Wow!!! Awesome art!! I want summmmm!
So yer gonna be @ Hukilau huh?!? Great, now I gotta stuff my pockets with even more $$$ before I go...

TK

holy moly its pat. this man is a great artist both tiki and tatoo. he did my tatoo and i have several of his prints and a carved palm tiki from him. he put me on to this site. flipping awesome to see you on here. i have got to get back to the shop and have my next tatoo done by this man.

Great new pieces Pat!
it's gonna be cool to be be able to see all that work
in one place and in-person at the hukilau!
JOY!

K
Kahu posted on Sun, Jun 1, 2008 8:33 PM

On 2008-05-25 09:39, greentikipat wrote:

Kahu-man, thanks a lot. wish you could be there -you're always such a cool supporter. much mahalos!

No problem man, I love looking at your stuff, I really wish I could support you more. I have my entire right arm that I would love to give to you for a tiki masterpiece! I wish you knew how much I want to put the money together to have you do me a version of the Moko Tiki you carved. I want a velvet wahine from you. It may take me some time, but I will find a way to support you more than just words. For now it is the best I can do. But I do plan on doing more than just words.

aloha all!

Mooney man- thanks so much! see you at da huk, yea?
mr.Benz~ looking foreward to it, -i think she'll end up with a nightgown, that okay?;)
Ku KU- mahalos,man! hell yea, bring more$$$$!! buy it all!! look foreward to meeting you.
talo ka- what's up man- how've you been? opening my own shop on madeira beach very soon- you're gonna love it! on gulf blvd; water view from my work station- wait for the grand opening to get tattooed! a month or so.
LLT~ right-on, man!! hukilau is gonna be off the hook this year!(i guess it has been all along, but getting to meet so many new folks this year is amazing) looking fore ward to seeing you!
Kahu- man, you rock. let me know when you're getting ready, i'll make it worth your while. much mahalos, bro!!

well-no new photos just yet, but stuff is underway. i'll try to post a bunch just before the big weekend. a week and a half away!! f@ckin deadlines!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies