Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Mooney's velvet finished- paintings by pat vassar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies

here's the last two paintings finished for hukilau. i wanted one more velvet, but the gods of time will not permit.

i would have more details, but my camera's battery died dead( i got the shot of the velvet after it died once), and i can't find the rechargeable. maybe at work?
aloha all and mahalo for taking a peek!! see you hukilau ohana soon!
HUKILAU WILL BE GONE-LONG LIVE THE HUK!!!!

Sweet painting pat!Can't wait to see you and all your Art in person,Aloha your friend Jimmy Mooney

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Jun 10, 2008 9:57 AM

On 2008-06-09 21:42, greentikipat wrote:
here's the last two paintings finished for hukilau. i wanted one more velvet, but the gods of time will not permit.

Any chance this will make it as a print?!?!?! Man I love that painting! Great job as always.

Have an awesome time at Hukilau, not that you will need to be encouraged right.

Awesome work Pat!
gonna be oggling these in just 3 days!
YIPPEE!

so here we are- definatly my last post before hukilau! got the second finished frame from my good friend Albert tonight. the other was finished only a few nights ago.
thought i would share some pics for those who cannot make it to ft. lauderdale. they kind of suck; i didn't make the effort to light them better. but here goes!! mahalo for looking!

this next one is the piece we just mounted a bit ago. i couldn't begin to capture the depth he put into it.

well hope you can enjoy some of this- we'll be raising mugs to all ohana who aren't with us this weekend -EVERY NIGHT!!! mahalo for looking!!!!!cheers!!!!!!

The frames are almost as good as the Paintings. Can't wait to see these up close and personal!

Aloha Pat!!! To all those that cruz this thread? If you love the ART images that pat posts here, You should see them in person!!! They are so amazing in real life i was just lucky enough to see them at the Hukilau this weekend and his friend JD has some sweet Art as well. Great meeting you both and your Art is gonna Blow up Big time,Aloha your friend Mooney

Cool stuff pat!

aloha station~ hey tom! as you saw, the frames ARE as cool as the paintings! great weekend, man!! hope to see you soon. Lexine loves her tiki pendant!!!! mahalos to you dude. love my piece too!! talk with you soon about retail!!!!!

Mooney the Man-!!!!aloha my friend! you are one of the most (self) understated tiki carvers/surf painters i have ever met- i could never thank you enough for the cool pieceswork's under way to come back at you!!you rock me like a hurricane!!(maybe a tropical storm?)talk with you soon also man.

damn, Sam G!!! -thought i was off easy! man, your stuff up close and personal at the hukilau art show was UTMOST!!! seeing it in person was totally amazing!!!! made me REALLY appreciate the fine skills you have in your arsonal!! thanks so much for you cool words!!!! dig it!!

Pat's work in person was awesome too. His velvets looked too well-developed to be early work, the airbrushed stuff was very slick, the Green Tiki Poster had brushwork that seriously reminded me of the Old Masters paintings I like to stare at at museums. He also had excellent and unique frames a buddy of his did.

Pat, you should redo the fuzzy shot of the chasing natives on the page before this one so people can appreciate your brushwork, especially for such a tiny area (3x4 inches?).

Pat-you are a swaggering genius...
it blows me away how you can crossover from medium to medium...
Glad we got to finally meet-the East Coast Artist/Carvers are pretty awesome!
Bummed that i missed you on Sunday
PM me about our trade!
NOW!
:lol:

B

duuuuuuuude,

hey pat, this is my first time eyeballing your art. i am in love with your art...i want to marry it!

look forward to getting a better gander at Oasis numero ocho.

alohas, bT

you guys are too cool!!

Robb H-your kind words are an inspiration by themselves; coming from an artist who's work is so inspiring, i'm overwhelmed! i had a great time hangin with you, wish we were closer to do it often.
LLT-aaahhh-hah!!Ken, it was a blast meeting/hangin out with you. your words are too kind! mahalo way nui!! yea, there's a lot of kick-ass artists over here,(considering that's all i know)-i'll get out there eventually. trade? ok!!
Big toe- right on, bt! i'll walk it down the isle for you-what's that traditional payment from groom to father called?!! sadly i will not be at Oasis again this year; shooting for next one, though. aloha and mahalo!!

Bump

Pat,

Your fine detail on "Night of the Green Tiki" is absolutely amazing! It really was wonderful to see this painting up close and personal. And the movement you capture in your velvets is tremendous - I really was mesmerized by the S curve of the wahine.

Now, you just need to contact the "Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" director and make "Green Tiki" into a movie!!

• Lorie Hamel

Hey Pat, I was wondering what work you've sent to show in Tiki Freakout?

Yeah!
What Robb said!
Give up the goods!

T
Tabu posted on Thu, Jul 17, 2008 4:55 PM

The Green Tiki is slick. The Happy Cannibals is a whole other vibe and great as well. I love the Green Tiki.

Cool looking paintings here. Great work.

Aloha Pat!!! I'm back in town, but what you got cookin with art and do you need any help on the shop? let me know, lookin forward to seeing moer of your SWEET art, Aloha your friend, Mooney, ps tell JD I said Hi!

Wow Pat, love the vintage horror-esque movie poster look. You do have a great sense of style ... love your work.

RH

Hey Pat, are you working on anything? We'd love to see some pics!

well hello good ohana!

i've been too busy for too long- working on my tattoo/art studio ELECTRIC TIKI. tough timing and low budgets have made for a long winter and spring, but things are coming around. i'll create a thread for the shop so anyone interested can check it out- the website's hardly up, but keep an eye on it for updates. http://www.electrictiki.net it's also at http://www.myspace.com/electrictikiart which also is in need of updates.

well, i haven't done much in the way of tiki art over the past year- these four paintings i did at the end of the winter. i have 2 more sketched and need to start painting them now if they're ro be ready for hukilau- if i can still get a space/booth. i'v put everything off for too long and am waiting to see what the situation is for that. just sent BK an email yesterday, if he's still running the vendor show. i'm such a procrastinator- very busy yes, but still about 10% lazy. or is it wiped out? maybe i should go with that.

well, here's some pics to start things off- see if i can't get back on this beast and ride a bit before falling off again.

these four are each 5x7 acrylic inks and paints.

those are in cronological order, the first with my intentions of producing some one-day pieces. each progressed in technique and time. oh well. so much for quickies. here's the few pre-shots i took.

here's the two new ones-need to get them started quick! it's the hardest part for me. just a matter of cleaning off the drawing table here at work and setting up -then just throw some paint down; the rest just falls into place. i'm so lazy.

mahalo all for looking! now for the carving thread.

Aloha Pat!!!Wow what a Bunch of SMOKIN Paintings you got goin there my friend!!Hope all is well on your end!!! Thinkin bout bringin the wife over and myself 2 give you some Tat business.Take care ,Aloha for now , your friend Mooney

MAN!!!And to think I thought you just carved awesome tikis,love the black
velvet wahine,Hell! I love all of it.Be kool to see some tiki inspired
tattoo pic's.Cheers Watango

I dig the way you paint hula girls, Pat!

Badass stuff, Pat, excellent technique and color. It's great to have you and your talent back.

I think some of your tattoo style shows up in these new pieces. And I really dig the naughtiness of that last sketch....

http://www.robbhamel.com

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2009-05-12 05:55 ]

Oh yeah: I noticed you start with a layer of blue like Maxfield Parrish... any connection?

aloha all!
Mooney my man! thanks a lot, you guys come on over anytime! remember that painting i told you i finally started? the cat pissed on it! just kidding- the dog ate it? actually it's almost done. it's a black velvet and i've been itching to post shots. but you should receive it first, right? isn't that how these things work?
Watangooooo!! (Deadbolt) thanks a lot man, i try to stay busy. it doesn't always work. i do have a tattoo thread up, for all to post on. i try to keep it updated now and then.
Sam G~ always feels good when a headliner such as yourself stops in for a comp. mahalos much, man-i likes em too...they all my girlfriends.
Robb--thanks muchas bud and right-on. cool to have some un-noticed continuity ....noticed! wink wink on that last one-every now and then i have to paint something bad. this one i tried making just subtle enough to be printed/shown somewhere besides an erotic show. the blue starts are just the first slap for the farthest background. i only use 3 blues,2 greens, one yellow, one fusha and red, and 3 browns here at the shop. and a tattoo white. i think one of the paintings started with green.

so here's a few in-progs of this one. thought i had one at the beginning, sorry.

this is canvas board 8x10" acrylic

mahalo for looking!

Stellar painting Pat!
and those ones on the last page-killer!

i think i read every UFO/Erich von Däniken/Strange Mysteries book
and just Loooove the notion of advanced cultures meeting primitive ones!
Lovin the Moai's eyes
and the reflection on the ship...
and how lush and juicy your pieces are...
Man! This painting would've rocked the party
at the 2nd Annual Tiki magazine show
hosted at the planet Rooth gallery
it had an interstellar robots meets tiki theme to it..
Simply a pleasure to view!

now finish it!

aloha all-
hey LLT~ thanks much, my friend. yes, those books and others like them have provided me with many years of fun reading. someone loaned me 'Gold of the Gods' long ago and that just opened a huge can of missing link mutatious goodness!!
so here's progress -almost done. maybe today?

getting there-
hopefully i'll have time tonight to finish Mooney's velvet!

Just finished eye-ballin your thread. Killer work!
Love the different styles ya got going on.
Great details!

Velvets, tattoos, carvings, etc...
Hey, leave somethin' for the rest of us! :)
Keep it up!

aloha all!

hey thanks, J! i have to have different styles going on; feels like i have a broader scope of the world-and to keep things fresh. that's what i noticed first pg of your thread- damn! from cartoon to realistic- i love it! i'll try not to pig out on the mediums!

well, this guy's finished. i could keep tweaking details, highlights and shadows for ever. but onwards instead. can't settle on a title, so any help would be appreciated. i always suck at titles.

so hard to shoot the canvas texture. this was the best out of 8 or so. this and the previous set of 4 wahines will be avail as prints for hukilau. maybe the next one, too.
mahalos for any help w/ the title! and as always, thanks for lookin.

Very cool painting Pat!!!Lookin forward 2 seein our painting,so go ahead and post it my friend!!!Talk 2 ya soon, Aloha , Mooney

Rockin on OUT Pat!
outta this world!
Let's see those 2 you've been hiding!
:)

alright, well here's Jimmy Mooney's velvet piece for his family. hope i didn't really screw up, like forget one of the kids or something! it wasn't dry enough to clean, so forgive the cat hair and lint. very fun trying to show an action scene on velvet. learned quite a bit on this piece, so can't wait to do the next still life.

'Mooneys over Waikiki' ? or 'Don't Make Me Pull This Thing Over!!'

there's actually quite a bit of symbolism there- Jimmy guiding his family home, ahead of the storm and through the darkness. balancing it all, and maintaining control. and having a blast while doing it!

LLT- thanks, man~the other one is just getting started!

Holy S__T Pat!!~!!!What a Ultra KOOL Painting!!!!You NAILED It perfectly!!!That's pretty much us havin a bit of FUN!!!,Mahalo Pat!!Talk 2 ya soon!!! Aloha your friend, Jimm Mooney

Pat just call it "Moons over whykeekee"Aweasome Art my friend!!!!, Aloha, Jimmy Mooney

T

I likey! Very cool.

Thanks for sharing. G

Fantastic stuff Pat!

This is some very cool stuff! Lots of character to your paintings, greentikipat!

M
mp posted on Wed, May 27, 2009 11:09 PM

Beautiful Velvet Pat! Looks really vintage. I just went
through your thread, its all great. MP

Great job on the Moai/UFO piece Pat!
Would make a great book cover too.
Sorry I suck at titles too. And the
velvet has great energy and atmosphere.

aloha all-
i was going to make the pic size of the velvet a bit bigger, but it's already blurred. maybe i'll pull out the tripod tonight and do it right!

Mooneyman- glad you like it! how bout the rest of the gang? any crinkled faces? sorry it took so long for me to get to it-(a year). i'll check through my garage, i might have a frame that'll fit. fix it up w/some bamboo or something. lookin forward to seein you next month!

hey Tiki G-mahalo and thanks for looking!

Watango! right on man,thanks a lot!

Mr. Gambino- mahalos much, Sam! your compliments are always thoughtful and inspiring.

mp- vintage is really good, glad you see that in it! thanks for taking the time to go through my thread-great having you!

Iokona Ki'i -mahalo nui, man! i was definately inspired by a couple of book covers on this one. one was a Choose Your Own A.- UFO # so and so. it had moais as the aliens. i can't remember the title or author(s) of the other- and i own it! it showed a landing capsule touching down (or lifting off) with a hairy pre-human type watching from the foreground. good stuff. glad you like the velvet; the feeling's mutual! the next one will return to the more traditional Leeteg style like you're kicking ass on.

the new canvas board's starting today -i'll post a pic later.

oh, thought i'd include this today- a sketch for a backpiece on a friend. not a tattoo yet, so figured i'd post it here. enjoy!
oops! i guess i should show it!

just the rough initial- still has quite a bit of shaping up to go through.
[ Edited by: greentikipat 2009-05-28 11:59 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2009-05-28 12:13 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2009-05-28 12:16 ]

TK

i will be showing off a brand new tattoo just finished by greentiki pat at the hukilau.

Bump!

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jul 26, 2010 10:09 PM

OOOOOOLE!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies