Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

THOR seeks help!! Anyone know of any pics of the old "Jolly Roger Restaurant" logos, Menus...etc?

Pages: 1 9 replies

T

Aloha!!!

Well..I am smack in the middle of several paintings soon to be released. One thing I just need help with is any info on where to find [pics of any vintage items..like swizzle sticks, glasses with Logos, menus, etc. from the old Jolly Roger Restaurants of the 60's and 70's. Most or all are gone in LA or changed to "updated", less Pirate look.

This is for a painting I am finishing. Some of you may recall the drawing for the painting I posted here a few months back. It's the Hawaiian Geckos playing pirate on a floating pineapple boat with cocktail nap sails shooting grapes with a plastic spoon cannon.

I always use "found objects" to create the little things the geckos use in the paintings...as though the geckos find these things to create their worlds. Well, I wanted to pretend the gecko pirates found an old swizzle stick from the Jolly Roger Restaurant and stuck it at the bow as a bow sprint/masthead thingy to add to their "Galleon" theming. I can invent the look if the actual swizzle sticks were not very interesting..but I at least need a few pics of the pirate logo or type used on their napkins and menus..etc. so people recall the reference to those restaurant chains.

Anyone that can provide this will be helping me TONS!!! I will post the final result later in the week!!

Mahalo!!!!!! THOR

T

WOW! ! Not a single picture response so far!! Poor "Jolly Roger" has never been documented??? lol!! I gotta press forward, so I will make this one up!! No worries...

Aloha!! THOR

Hey THOr!
Saw this a little too late ,but i googled it and about 3 pages in,figured that you had already hunted in that part of the woods...
Needless to say...no luck!!! Hope this BUMP will dig up somebody with some scoop! But you're probably finished with the piece already....it has been a couple of days.... :)
See you in about a month!

Got this in my e-mail-I think it's for you!
Hope it helps!

Aloha Thor:
Oceanic Arts carved the wood signs with the Boat and copper sails and supplied a lot of decor to JR for many years. Art Salisbury who was the original owner was a good friend. Not sure what you are looking for but we may have it
Bob & LeRoy.

I re-did a Jolly Roger in the LBC a few moons ago. It's now call Busters Beach House. You might want to contact John Paul of Tiki Mag cause he knows the owners. ( of the old J.R.'s.)I'm sure they have pics laying around in files somewhere.

T

There's one, oh now where is that....? It's in Oceanside, right on the harbor. You might just try contacting the restaurant directly. They might have something they can send or email to you. I can't imagine they'd frown upon some free publicity.
Here's their info:
Jolly Roger Oceanside
1900 North Harbor Drive
Oceanside, CA 92054
(760) 722-1831
and an email address:
[email protected]

I'd think you'd have better luck calling, but an email never hurts.

T

Thanks for the suggestions guys!! I had little luck finding anything in time, so I just went ahead and made up a little Pirate swizzle stick..nothing too fancy to get too much attention in the painting. I just posted the result... Have a great weekend!!

~~ Thor

Shuper Shweet!
I love seeing the sketches! Really inspirational! I'm grabbing me some toned paper and a white pencil! And, your geckos look so in love.... (sigh) makes me feel all warm a smushy inside. Brilliant work! Thanks so much fer sharing!

(HA! I posted this on the wrong Thor thread! What a dope I am! Anyways, if you're wondering what geckos I'm writing about go check Thor's other art thread!)

Tiki Shark

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2007-03-24 12:33 ]

P

I know I'm way too late (I've seen your finished art...looks great!)...but I pulled an old newspaper article from 1973 today, and on the back I found a Jolly Roger advertisement! Wouldn't have given it a second thought, but I remembered this thread asking for help, and while I know it's too late and might not even be what you were looking for...here it is, just for the heck of it:

:)

Open at 7:00AM Yikes! That's early, I'd never thought of the Jolly Roger as a Breakfast place.

Pages: 1 9 replies