Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Jack Lord's wedding rings

Pages: 1 13 replies

I

Looking for some good karma, to share between yourself and your loved one?

How about splurging for this item - the wedding rings worn by Jack Lord (Hawaii 5-0) and his wife Marie.

They were married on January 13, 1948, and their marriage lasted over 50 years, when he died in 1998. Marie died in 2005, at the age of 100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jack-Marie-Lord-Marriage-Certificate-and-Gold-Rings_W0QQitemZ120099453903QQcategoryZ92866QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Vern

Gheeez, wonder who is selling that....they must not be very cherished abd need the money. High bid is pretty awesome so far. I am not a user of eBay and wonder how you folks find these bizzare items....that is just crazy. :D

That seller has a slew of interesting Jack Lord memorabilia. Wish there were some tiki mugs up for grabs...

Aaaaw, I was hoping I would get to see more of his paintings... :)
I'd love to have an original Jack Lord (late period) on my wall!

me too!

U

Anyone want to start a poll of how much the ring set will go for? I say $5,000.

Good idea.....I say $4,050.00

I'm creeped by the whole thing.

I gotta agree with you there pappy...it is pretty creepy. Somebody needs money more than memories. I don't have kids and sometimes I think....what will happen to all the collections I have....I really need to write a will some day. I know someone will want my bamboo bar!!!

I don't think it's as sad as it might initially seem. Jack Lord & his wife left a TON of money to a bunch of Hawaiian charities. They didn't have kids and the collection of stuff now being auctioned is part of what they donated. I remember hearing when she died that there would be a big auction/sale at some point, so this is it. I'm sure wedding rings are probably something that'd usually be kept in the family, but I think there just may not be family left for them to go to (and I believe they were both cremated, rather than buried wearing them) (OK, now I'm getting a little creeped out.)

Here's an article from last year that I found about the estate/endowment:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Jan/22/ln/FP601220358.html

I'll pass on the rings myself, but I did score one of his signed serigraphs!

I

Jack and Marie Lord did not have any children together. Jack apparantly did have a child through his first very short-lived marriage, but Jack never saw this child, who died in the late 50's when the boy was only 12 years old.

From most of what I read, Jack and Marie stayed pretty much to themselves, and did not have a wide circle of friends - Jack rarely socialized with their neighbors or the other actors and workers from Hawaii 5-0. When they did venture out, it was often to make an appearance for some charity dinner or event. Their estate was valued at over $40 million when they died, which was to be split among a dozen or so Hawaiian charities.

With this in mind, it makes sense that this auction would eventually take place. Why not raise even more money for their chosen charities? The auction was probably timed to correspond with the release of the first season of Hawaii-5-0 on DVD, for maximum exposure.

There were perhaps 10 Jack Lord original oil paintings that were offered for sale in this auction. Several were not bid on at all - perhaps of the starting prices ($7000 and $4500 were the two prices), so it may be still possible to own a Jack Lord orginal, if you contact the estate now.

The highest sold painting went for $3060. I kind of liked his primitive version of Diamondhead - this painting sold for $866.
http://cgi.ebay.com/OIL-PAINTING-BY-JACK-LORD-Beach-Scene-With-Palms_W0QQitemZ120097903251QQcategoryZ20131QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Vern

U

On 2007-03-22 19:37, VampiressRN wrote:
Good idea.....I say $4,050.00

Ok Vampiress, you cheated.

Wow, yeah, that painting is rather...primitive. :)

Cool that the Lords donated to the Bishop Museum, too. Damn', if we only would have had that Waikiki Tiki Museum set up in time...

Those were great articles....certainly makes me even more enamoured and respectful of Jack Lord. Nice to see that the money goes to some really great causes.

Gheeeeez, I only picked a number out of the air and can't believe that is what it sold for...LOL

Pages: 1 13 replies