Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Surf board question

Pages: 1 9 replies

I want to learn how to surf now that the beach is so close. So I guess my question is what is a good surf board for beginners and how much would that cost? Any advice would be helpful. Mahalo!

Hey Finky D,
Get yourself a longboard about 9' long and 2 inches thick and you will be up and wave slidin' in no time. A longboard will help get your paddlin' muscles built up and will be more fun just to cruise around on than boppin around on a shortboard. Also much easier to catch your first waves with. Also practice your pop ups. Push up right to your feet No knees! Another good cross trainer is the Indo Board These things get your balance dialed in and help you to practice the "Athletic stance" and they are a lot of fun if you dont send the board through your sliding glass window. Most of all get out there and have fun! Dip your head, throw seaweed bulbs at your friends and amaze at the critters that pass both below and above you as you soak up the sun. Dang I should go surfin today!

Do you guys get Bic boards out there?
Yes the guys that make pens and cigarette lighters are also the biggest surfboad manufacturer in the world.
The 7'9" Natural surf
http://www.bicsportsurfboards.com/surfboards/index.php?rangeid=161&bssid=im0usu4n76b9r4kki1o8s0id56
is a fantastic begginers board, depending on your size, they are easy to learn and progress on and almost unbreakable in normal surf.
Get out there and have fun if the beach is close, i have a 5 hour drive or a plane ride to any decent surf and it's driving me mad!

[ Edited by: cheekytiki 2007-03-22 09:03 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 22, 2007 7:38 PM

Its gonna be tikified right man? :D

I expect a lesson when I visit!

The coolest tiki art is not bought on ebay, it comes personally from my fellow artists on TC

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-03-22 19:38 ]

Chongolio and Cheekytiki are right- get a board around 8' - 9'.. You'll have more fun & learn alot quicker! Lots of decent breaks in your area..

Here's a great link for ya-
http://www.surfxtc.com/

Front page- Jupiter inlet cam- should give you a decent idea..

Click on Surf report on the left- lots of webcams along the coast so you can see what's going on.. On the same surf report page- See the map at the top in the center of the 3- click it and you'll be able to see wind direction (arrows) and wave heights (colors).. Long arrows pointed from the sea to the coast is best- combined with color of water on the coast teal to green means Surfs UP!

Wait until you see the waves right after your first hurricane down there.. You'll be hooked if you're into it!

B

Yeah, when I go surfing there are Lots of breaks, like Arms, Legs, fingers, you get the picture!?

Wow, thank you everyone for the great tips! I found a Bic Board distributer in Jensen Beach, so I'll stop by there sometime and ask about pricing. That surf condition website will be very helpful. I'll definately try and get a tikified board, but first I need to learn how to use it! I've never had a broken bone, I guess it's time I get one.

On 2007-03-30 06:12, Benzart wrote:
Yeah, when I go surfing there are Lots of breaks, like Arms, Legs, fingers, you get the picture!?

We need you in one piece around here! No surfing for Benzart unless it's the internet!! :)

Popular East Coast beginner boards are the NSP and South Point Longboards. They are used for rentals a lot and some guys here have them. Pretty forgiving and durable. If you haven't surfed I would suggest a lesson or two. The key to surfing is being a strong swimmer. Many places rent boards, you may want to find a small day and rent something to try surfing. The ocean can give you a thrashing so by taking a lesson they will give you lowdown on water safety. Rips, undertows, reefs, lineups... all good stuff to know.

For a 9'2" South Point longboard your looking at an East Coast price of $789 new. Start scouting the used board sections of shops or check out yard sales... always a lot of boards in Florida.

Like carving, its going to take a while to get it wired. :wink:

Thanks Lake, that is all good advice. And you're right, it shouldn't be too hard to find a second-hand board. I'll let you all know when I finally get one.

Pages: 1 9 replies