Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Palm wood straight from the tree

Pages: 1 5 replies

G

Total Newbie here. I have been reading up on Tiki carving after I took on a Tiki Bar project. I was reading about the different types of wood that are best for carving.

I was driving the other day and I saw someone cutting down a palm tree. He gave me a few sections for carving and I wanted to know if the wood I picked up was worth carving. Also how long should it take to dry this out and is there anything I need to do to treat the wood before I start carving. Can anyone out there give me any info on the wood in this picture?

Any other info on getting started is alway welcome. Tools, techniques etc.

i just want to say welcome to TC here. a great place it is.
sorry i dont know too much bout the wood.
hope you get the help you need soon

Looks like Mex fan palm. Are you west coast, or Florida?

Did you get to see about how tall the tree was? I find, the taller and older the palm, the better the wood.

Most of the questions you have about carving can be answered by using the search feature, found in the upper right hand corner of the page, under "tiki central forums"
this will take you there too: http://www.tikicentral.com/search.php

The palm in question looks to me like a type of fan palm, possibly mexican fan. Where are you located?

YOu can husk it and carve it immediately, though it will be a little moist as you carve and suface mold will grow. If you want to stain it, you'll probably want to wait a few months for the water to dry out of it.

You can wait patiently for the palm to dry, but that can take up to a year. If you are going to wait, you'll want to store them on their sides, raised off teh ground (on wood scrap) and coat the ends with a clear varnish, or house paint and I usually "husk" them before I store them. I usually wait about 4 months or so before I begin carving, but you can start tomorrow if ya like.

Try searching for the answers, they are here with pictures and all. Have fun and be sure to post progress shots so the carvers can help you along, if you want it!

G

Thanks for your quick responses.

I haven't purchased any tools yet so I will let the wood sit for a while.
It is probably a Mexican Fan like you said since I am in South Pasadena CA.

There are some good posts on tools and I have my eye on a Rotozip.

Thanks again

Make sure you check out the Pasadena City College swap meet for tools. Watcha really need is some gouges- curved chisels and a mallet. So check out the spaces with old men selling old tools, you might get lucky.

Pages: 1 5 replies