Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki-Kate Tries to Carve

Pages: 1 2 66 replies

Keep up the good work kate! Your stuff's always fun & has alot of heart.

Hey weren't you spozed to send me a pic in your "Luky Weiner Aloha Shirt" from Holdens shindig?

You did that, Kate??? That is AWESOME!

Oh my gosh! That's hysterical, Rick.

The glaze makes him look even grumpier. Well, I think that was an interesting first attempt working with clay. (Did the shot glasses come out okay?) I was just thinking on my way home today that I needed to dive into that 25 lbs of clay I bought a couple of months ago. I may wait until after Oasis though.

Hank - Thank you, and I do owe you a picture.

Bill - That's the mug I made that weekend back in April 07. My only excuse is that I had an awful lot of those jell-o shots the day before. He's kind of cute though, so I'm happy.

B

Hey Kate,

I think that all your work here turned out real nice...great job sis!!

I just wanted to say lucky weiner.

Me, too. Lucky weiner, lucky weiner!

Here is my latest attempt.

This was the sign for the Carving Hut at Tiki Oasis. I had so much fun making this. Nothing fancy in the design. Just a little shrunken head and a Robert Drasnin inspired tiki. I like the beachcomber style because it helps me to let go of my obsession with symmetry, kind of.

Mieko did a fabulous pendant based on the sign. She thought it would be nice to give a nod to all the places we've carved over the past two years. (I didn't have enough room for Temecula. Sorry Andy.)

Whatever. :)

B

hey kate
that was a really cool sign
tried out my shot glass,works good

Tiki-Kate,

The sign turned out awesome. It was great being able to see you working on it at the last Carve, then seeing the final outcome at Oasis.

B

COOL Stuff Kate, I bet you are a bit PROUD? You should Be!
Whats next?

Thanks everyone. I was most proud of the fact that I didn't succumb to the urge to use any power tools to get this done.

Next I need to finish up all of the unfinished projects in the carving nook. I've got the half finished Shag tiki, the 75% finished mask copied from the Tiki Apartments in Torrance, the 25% finished tiki torch, the freshly started moai and the little guy from the gardens outside of the Enchanted Tiki Room. I've now violated the 4 major projects on hold rule since I've got 5 going at the moment. Hopefully, once it cools down I'll be able to stay a little more focused.

I bet you could juggle six.

I got one done today! Now I'm back down to 4 unfinished large projects.

This one was based on the mask outside the Tiki Apartments in Torrance. I started him last year at Oasis and got stuck. I had found the picture in the Book of Tiki, but when I went to see the mask myself I realized how asymmetrical he is. That's when I was able to figure out how to finish him. Plus, I got over my fear of his whole face falling off. I like how the missing spots on his mouth give him a more aged look.

T

Awesome! I know what you mean, feels great to finish one of these dudes after so long! I just noticed the green one a few pages back. Kapu, was it? NICE!

Hey! I've met that fellow! :)

B
BigToe posted on Thu, Oct 2, 2008 1:34 PM

Aloha Sista Kate!

LOVE LOVE LOVE this guy!!!! just so much personality!

i like the missing bits personally, but if they are bothering ms. OCD-girl, u could inlay a big long mahogany tongue!

alohas, toe-nail

T

I surrender! He's as done as he's going to get. I've been messing around with sanding and staining and more sanding for two days.

He's a little more blue than I had originally intended, but I can live with it.

So here's what I was going for.

And here's what I ended up with.

One of these days I'll get a proper fence and start putting these guys out in the back yard. I think it's a more forgiving setting. :)

C

oh very nice carves, i love the one on the right he looks great! but in this case the stain is not helping to see ALL the work you did.. i would suggest to sand the out going parts a little... hope you don't mind, is just an idea anyway.. congrats they look very nice!

Pages: 1 2 66 replies