Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Prince Kuhio Day

Pages: 1 1 replies

P

Happy Prince Kuhio Day!

March 26th is the day Hawaii celebrates Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Day. It is celebrated to honor the birthday of Hawaii's second delegate to Congress. Prince Kuhio was born in Koloa, Kauai, in 1871. He was the youngest of three sons of Kauai High Chief David Kahalepouli Piikoi and Princess Kinoiki Kekaulike. He served as the Territory of Hawaii's delegate to the U.S. Congress from 1903 to 1921. With John Wise, John Lane and Noah Alulii, they formed the first Hawaiian civic club in 1917 to stimulate civic efforts and education within the Hawaiian community and promote Hawaiian culture.

Kuhio was known as the "Citizen Prince" and was in line to become king before the monarchy was overthrown in 1893. He died of heart disease on January 7, 1922, at the age of 50 and was buried at the royal mausoleum in Nuuanu Valley on Oahu. Kuhio is best remembered for his successful effort to get Congress to pass the 1920 Hawaiian Homes Commission Act, which provides homesteads for native Hawaiians. It was his dream to save the rapidly declining Hawaiian race from extinction. His plan was to return tenement dwellers to the land and encourage them to be self-sufficient farmers, ranchers and homesteaders on leased parcels of reserved land.

He died of a broken heart as he was repeatedly lied to and used by the greedy overlords who basically stole Hawai'i.
That's my take on it. But he loved his nation and did what he could for the culture many of us admire, and maybe even love.

Here's a drink recipe I deconstructed from The Plantation in Kauai a few years back:

The Prince Kuhio

2 oz Macadamia Nut Liqueur (I like Kahana Royale)
1.5 oz Amber Rum
2 oz pineapple
.75 oz of OJ
dash of marischino syrup
teaspoon of lemon juice

Thanks for this, Pablus. I'll make a couple for me and the Mister tonight, in honor of Prince Kuhio.

Pages: 1 1 replies