Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Noguchi vs. Noguchi Copy Table

Pages: 1 5 replies

Does anybody own a Noguchi Tribeca table, like this one?

I am looking at buying one, but an authorized version costs around $1,200.00. However, some vendors are selling copies online for around $500.00.

The authorized ones are very well well constructed (a typical Herman Miller product). However, I've noticed that the repros vary considerablly, such as glass thickness varying from 1/2 to 3/4 inches. It is also impossible to determine the quality of the wood base.

I would appreciate any feedback you might have on the repros of this really cool table.

On 2007-03-31 21:57, tikipedia wrote:
Does anybody own a Noguchi Tribeca table, like this one?

I am looking at buying one, but an authorized version costs around $1,200.00. However, some vendors are selling copies online for around $500.00.

The authorized ones are very well well constructed (a typical Herman Miller product). However, I've noticed that the repros vary considerablly, such as glass thickness varying from 1/2 to 3/4 inches. It is also impossible to determine the quality of the wood base.

I would appreciate any feedback you might have on the repros of this really cool table.

From what you describe, it sounds like you should go with the original. Herman Miller is a quality product and you know what you're getting.

If spending a lot of money on a coffee table was a real issue for you, we wouldn't be having this discussion (there are plenty of cool, cheap coffee tables available). If you are able spend $500 for a coffee table, odds are you can afford to spend $1200. If that is the case and you get the original, you won't miss that extra $700 spent in a couple of years from now. However, you might regret not going with the real deal and settling for a fake - just to save money.

I gotta agree...might be painful financially now, but in the longrun you will reap great satisfaction over having made the investment on the real thing.

D
dibroc posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2007 1:21 PM

I am in the Herman Miller tribe here. Many try to remake these classic designs with some poor results. But if the price is really an issue try this vendor. Modernica in LA, CA. they do a " case study" of this piece that is as good as the HMI. his list price for the table is $700.00 I have known Jay for years and his product are top notch. A little know fact is he made many products for Herman Miller to be sold by their dealer network.

modernica.net

K

Aloha Tikipedia,
I guess it depends on whether or not you care about owning a 'real one' vs just going for the look...if you want the real thing, then you will definately spend $$$ for it, but it's the real thing, and hopefully continue to increase in value, and would be my choice if affordable...if what you are going for is the look, then I would say go for the less expensive one. just remember that the value will not be the same, and if you should ever decide to resell, you may take a beating~even if you spent $500 for it...I will tell you that in my experience as a vintage shop owner, most serious buyers won't give a knock off the time of day. they are looking for the real thing. those that come to me looking for a reproduction or something in that price range are happy to buy from Target as long as they get the look they are after... hope this helps...
K.

Hey tikipedia, I saw this link on another design site. The Black Naguchi Table Black Base on sale for $270.27

[ Edited by: stuff-o-rama 2007-04-02 14:27 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies