Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Georgia Mountains Yield Strange Tiki Hybrids

Pages: 1 6 replies

ST

Ohana:

I was out conducting a little architectural recon when I stumbled upon a complex of buildings that date from about 1912 to 1960. These forgotten gems were associated with the rise of automotive travel and tourism. The youngest of the buildings dates from the early 1950s and was called the "Cherokee Indian Trading Post" The place is abandoned but a care taker lives on site. The Tikis are bolted to the porch and received a dose of "war paint." The one on the left is heavily weathered but the one on the right is in fairly decent shape. I laughed at how the artist emphasized the boobs...it also has big feet, almost like a "tiki Sasquatch." This is a great site that has been preserved in time due to the re-route of Highway 17. The Tallulah Gorge State Park and a developing Rails to Trails project will soon breath new life into the property...true mid-20th Century "pioneer kitsch."

Enjoy!

Swamp

Weathered but still smilin'

We can't live without a little feminine support.

Check out the bottle caps for the eyeballs.

P

Wow good find! In the georgia hills none the less! hahah, bullseyes for boobies. :D

Are these inbred Tikis?

ST

I think they have crossed with some native wood species.

Swamp

Strong mana up in those hills...the former BK Kon-Tiki room was located up there. Speaking of BK, I think I remember a thread where he found a bowling alley with a "tiki bar" in it up near the gorge/Clayton.

T

Amazing! They still have all of their teeth.

I

The bowling alley with tiki bar that Basement Kahuna posted about is in Franklin, NC, not too far from Tallulah Falls (where I live half time).

I am so clueless! I have been seeing those tikis that Swamptiki posted for maybe 25 yrs or more and never registered them as tikis. Their paint, and the building they are attached to, makes me think of N.Am. totem poles. (duh)

There's a new tiki, a Maoi, fresh carved on the Tallulah River, as you make the turn from new 441 to Old 441 on Joy Bridge. I'll get a photo of it and post back. HUGE. It stands outside a GORGEOUS demo log art home, evidently an office for a construction company. Unbelievable.

I wonder if one of those chainsaw bear carvers could do a tiki and what would it look like?

Pages: 1 6 replies