Tiki Mug and Collectibles Pricing

Pages: 1 2 92 replies

M

Well, with a few hours to go the Groundhog Day Tiki Sale is a wee success:

Midnite Sale

No comment,
midnite

T

Well, congrats on those monster bids! I think I'll go call Lloyds of London to insure my mugs now.....!

:tiki:

OH MY GOD! Midnite, EXCELLENT sales! I think I'm gonna crown surffreak the new King of Overspending. Unbelievable....

T

Someone had to have typed their bids in wrong? Living in New Orleans I am getting up extra early this weekend to hit the garage sales. I figure with one Tiki Bob I could really up my collection and I only have collected five mugs thus far.

T

A MAJOR congrats to you! If you notice, all the insane prices are the same two guys outbidding each other. These guys must have a real competitive streak- too a fault!! :o WOW!

mahalo and 135 to everyone!
Mike
http://www.tradervic.com
http://www.tikiroom.net

[ Edited by: TikiHula on 2003-02-04 15:03 ]

M

Well, the auction is doing "ok", really thought people would be excited about the Kahiki Idol necklace, and the Kahiki Lighter has a pretty reasonable reserve still not met, hint: it is lower than $50. Actually, it's $45. I have never seen one before and thought, "No one wants it at $45 I still like it"...otherwise I HATE reserves.

Plus, the Luau Hut has only the one bid!

Bah ha :lol: ha!

midnite

T

Midnight, A tiki charm just went for approximately $32 and it had the original display card. There is excitement out there.

M

Yep, I posted too soon. The idol has already received a couple of bids. Mine is without the cardboard display pice, but my listing has neat typeface on the pic...and I have an entertaining write-up. So, that's worth something.

I've heard Barry Williams was interested in my Tiki necklace.

midnite

C
croe67 posted on Tue, Feb 4, 2003 6:50 PM

OK, so maybe I overpaid for Midnite's Kahiki necklace, but I have a soft spot for the Kahiki & I missed the last one that was up!!! But be assured it's going to a good home & will be well cared for - I know it's one of the very few items going for "low" (it's all relative!!) price in your Groundhog Day auction.

Waiting for the day the Kahiki returns.......

T

croe67, congrates on the score. I thought for sure I had it this time. I will get the next one.

C
croe67 posted on Tue, Feb 4, 2003 7:57 PM

yep - next one is all yours!! - I won't be in on that one & hopefully Tigerlilly won't be - for your sake!! :)

Aloha to Capt. Midnite and congratulations on a "succesful" auction. Geeze!

It was like the Ludwicke vs. Surfreak - Tiki Grudge Match! One mug, Two guys with a butt-load of cash... sunday, SUNday, SUNDAY!

Mercy

:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2003-02-04 22:59 ]

holy frickin crap...u made a ton of money on those auctions...i have seen u win a few of those mugs and u made like at least 10 times what u paid on them...y did u sell all your tiki mugs? it was certainly worth it...i have never seen a tiki bob go for much over 150...in fact, a set of 3 once went for less than 300 and here u just got over 600 on one...congrats...unbelievable...now what are u going to do with all that dough, midnite moneybags? lol

[ Edited by: TikiManiac on 2003-02-04 21:03 ]

DZ

Holy f***kin' crap is right! Apparently, Punxatawney Phil came out of his hole for your Groundhogs Day sale, didn't see his shadow but instead and convinced 'surffreak' to drop nearly $1700 on what should have been about $200 worth of mugs! Unless you're a seller, beware of groundhogs offering mug-buying tips!

Congrats, Midnite on a VERY fine day - the winter must be over!!

(will you be having another sale soon, so those of us without Lotto winnings to spend might have a chance?)

M

Man, we going to be living this sale down for a long time. I can just see the Tiki Crawl now. Thanks for all the congrats, much appreciated. Funny that I start this topic, bitch about the prices on Ebay, then this happens. Still not gonna pay what it takes to get the Holy Grail Sufferin ' B, though.

Would like to have more sales, but the Tiki inventory just took a major hit. Plus, it is getting very difficult to get things. Will keep looking...and listening, listening is important too.

Maybe a President's Day sale...Hail to the Chief and goodwill toward men, all that stuff.

Everyone check out yoho-yoho Ebay items!

midnite

S

Holy crap, Midnight!

Just saw that closing for Tiki Bob!

Unbelievable. Just when I thought it was safe to go back on Ebay...

How's Aloha Hut?

Congrats!

T
T

On 2003-01-16 10:30, atomictonytiki wrote:
Is the Leilani/Hawaiian Inn mug the most common mug inexistance?

That and the Walt Disney World Polynesian Room frosted glass goblet. I found 2 of them at Value Village yesterday (one small, one big). Not really my favourite mug (it's not really even a mug) but of course I couldn't leave them there!

On 2003-02-04 23:32, midnite_tiki wrote:
Man, we going to be living this sale down for a long time. I can just see the Tiki Crawl now.

Are you buying? (nudge, nudge...) :)

M

Hey ya Uncle Arty,

"How's Aloha Hut? "
Displayed prominently in the permanent collection of the Midnite Tiki Mug Museum. It is one of our fave mugs, not selling it, nope...not for $500, uh maybe for $501. :lol: Did see an Aloha Hut matchcover on Ebay, but we like whole matchbooks...it is a neat sign though.

It was a good sale; many pieces went to TC members, which is good. It is becoming increasingly harder to acquire duplicates for new Tiki sales, though. Our sale mug inventory that was once a nice collection on its own is now a few Tepco pirate mugs and some assorted Trader Vic flotsam.

Thanks to all who bid,
midnite

M

Hey ya Pop!

re:"Are you buying? (nudge, nudge...)"

For you? Of course.... :drink:

I had better check that RSVP list for the crawl, see how many past Midnite Tiki Sale customers or trade partners are making it up here. May need a few extra straws! :lol:

midnite

F&@#% unbelievable? Over 600.- bucks for a Tiki Bob's!??? I wonder how many are gonna pop up on e-bay now!
Congrats midnite, and, by the way, what's my kickback? :)
I remember a time when this mug, before it's cultural context was reveiled,was considered ugly, downright UN-Tiki by some...

T

Tiki Bob's is my favourite mug, bar none. I wish I had one! But of course I'm only willing to pay up to 25 bucks for it - cause the optimist in me thinks I still might find one at a thrift store, and the Scots in me is just too damned cheap to pay more.

Tiki Bob is the perfect blend of 'googie' or 50's clean design with the tiki aesthetic - in a few swooping lines, he manages to convey a funky, futuristic, falernum-filled feeling. Just looking at his smiling face makes my heart go all a-twitter.

HH

and less then 3 weeks ago it only sold for this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=2153327517

not exactly the same but still.....

[ Edited by: hula hula on 2003-02-05 19:17 ]

M

Hey Bigbro,
"Congrats midnite, and, by the way, what's my kickback?"

It's the Morgantown cocktail glass that should be your source for a royalty. I cannot count how many Ebay auctions I have seen that use the "holy grail" quote of yours.

Bob, the mug, has grown on me over the years, used to think it was very "un-Tiki". Tiki Bob's holds a special place in Tikidom for me, so it remains a focal point in my collection.

Now, for freaking me out-wise...that Steve Crane Assoc. "Bird of Paradise" takes the case. It is one scary chicken. Seems people want it though, yours has a good price with some time to go.

And tikifish, a Tiki Bob will come your way. May take as long as us getting a Sufferin B, but it will happen.

midnite

M

Hey everyone: The SF Tiki Crawl limo bus is being paid for by the Midnites! Woo hoo! :)

Seriously, congrats on that. I'll be shocked if it happens again, though. Clearly the result of two insane bidders.

Remember, on the SF Tiki crawl, we'll take a quick trip to see Bob in his natural setting. He's a pleasing burgundy color now, but I have plans for a great photo of him with TC people.

-martin

M

Well, I decided to splurge, so we will not be able to pay for the Tiki Bus at the Crawl. This is a lot for us for a mug, still cannot believe we did it, fifty bones:

Mainlander Buy Now

Then again, one sold later that evening for over $100. Still, $50...just about the most we've paid for a mug.

midnite

you know I saw that one , but its 2 inchs smaller then the other version, so i wasnt quite up for the price. still one of my favorite mugs :)

M

Hey ya Hula,
If it ain't "buy now" on Ebay...we ain't getting it, nope. No sir. We did score a few nice things at the Cow Palace Antique Fair last week. For much less than Ebay prices too. Even told one dealer we know that his prices were a bit low.

A few recent Ebay auction prices:

Islander buy-eyed Moai: $108
Hawaiian Room: buy now, $250

midnite

M

One of my favorite mugs and it definitely got two bidders excited:

Aloha Hut

Hey Uncle Arty, you sure you want to keep both of yours?

Just a couple of days left in our 'buy now' spectacular. Southern California Tikis are welcome, just keep the hoity toity down to minimum.

midnite's stuff

M

Even a blind Tiki-hunting squirrel finds an acorn on Ebay once in a while:

AKU AKU Mug $15

Less than a day to go in the Midnite 'Buy Now' spectacular. We like to sell to TC members, they pay!

midnite's stuff

M

This is not a typo:

Trader Vic Skull Mug $130

Maybe that $300 Tiki pole from TV's(?) is not a bad deal after all...

midnite

M

Nice price for a matchbook, these sure are popular:

Trader Vic's MB

Now, if I could only get that typoe of bid-mania directed toward our auctions. Mr T is upset, we promised him a nice donation for the teen center.

"The fools ain't bidding, I'm a steamed"

Midnite's Tiki Flea Market

M

I thought the prices bid for Tiki stuff on Ebay have been falling. Then:

$65 Hawaii Kai S/P Set

Still, things seem to have leveled off, and even fallen. Buck that trend, blow some discretionary income with Uncle midnite's auctions!

Cheap Tiki Stuff here!

[i]On 2003-02-12 10:47, midnite_tiki wroteIf it ain't "buy now" on Ebay...we ain't getting it, nope. No sir.

And even if it is "buy it now", Midnite has just beaten us to the punch. Ah, that Brazilian pair....in the cross-hairs....ready to pull the trigger.......shot flies off.....and who is the winner?

Oh, well. Us tightwads who are slow on the draw will just have to content ourselves with
Butlins Beachcomber postcards and crudely carved Maori tat.

Trader Woody

T

woody, check your private messages - I sent you a link to a mug auction in the UK on da cheap!

M

Ah, that Brazilian pair

Hey, here's your chance:

Brasil Tiki Mug

Shipping to parts international is NO problem if the bidder is a TC member. Let's go Brits, represent! Midnite mugs have gone to Switzerland, twice.

I got a Butlin's Beachcomber plate/ashtray, but still no mug.

midnite's tiki boutique

On 2003-05-07 12:58, tikifish wrote:
woody, check your private messages - I sent you a link to a mug auction in the UK on da cheap!

Cheers Tikifish - you should have received a private message a few hours back - many thanks for the heads-up on this one (which I've bid on)

Trader Woody

On 2003-05-07 13:03, midnite_tiki wrote:
[i]Ah, that Brazilian pair

Hey, here's your chance:

Brasil Tiki Mug

Hmmmm.. still tempted....looks quite Spanish...which figures (kinda). I'm actually pretty keen on the old Massachusetts stuff, having spent my formative years out there. Your Bostonian mug intrigues, but I really want one from that old place in Norwood, Mass. Don't suppose they make their way out West too often, eh?

Trader Woody

M

I see mugs selling on Ebay for less and less. I think the mania is slowing, prices back to "reasonable" levels. Then, somehting like this comes along to get that milk flowing back through the nostrils:

$75 Leilani Moai

Feel the love,
midnite

M

Never underestimate the awesome power of Fresno Tiki.

-martin

E
Erika posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2003 9:16 AM

I found a Tiki Bob's mug yesterday at an antique shop, with a pair of matching Tiki Bob's salt and pepper shakers. Lots of crazing, faces slightly darkened, but no cracks or chips. I paid $16.20 for the set of three pieces (plus tax).

These are the kind with "Tiki Bob's San Francisco" in a raised yellow lei.

A big boost to my very sparse collection!

M

Erika,

That is a major find for $16 bucks. Nicely done. Your tiki radar must have been acutely tuned that day.

Monkeyman

I picked up a perfectly conditioned Mark Thomas' Outrigger (from Monterey CA)Pineapple mug yesterday at the flea market for 5 bucks!

I'm right with you guys on those Thrift Store Scores. Since I live in Las Vegas, I've discovered that there is more Tiki Stuff in this part of the country (even though it seems sparse to me sometimes). I look at lots of stuff on eBay and think about bidding, but as far as the mugs go, I'm reluctant to bid because I fear that I'll find the same one a few days later at the Swap Meet here for a couple of bucks. Good luck and Happy Hunting!!!

Pages: 1 2 92 replies