Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Dallas, Don The Beachcomber

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

I'm not sure if all of the outdoor pictures are in Dallas. One of them has a palm tree in the background and Dallas does freeze in the winter, which would kill the palms. Presbyterian Hospital is behind DTB and you would probably be able to see it since it's 9 or 10 stories tall.
There is one picture that looks like the old Royal Tokyo locations.
Nevertheless, the pictures are great and I loved looking at them.

On 2016-08-20 09:18, tikilongbeach wrote:
The Black Forest Bakery, which looked like a German country house, and where we always bought my Black Forest cakes for my birthday

I believe the Black Forest is still around... atleast I am sure I saw it when I was back in town a couple of weeks ago. Unless I am seeing ghosts of a Dallas tucked away in my mind.

T

Dusty, another great collection of photos! Quite the find.

Tikilongbeach, the two palms in the pictures appear to be Chinese Windmill Palm hardy to about -5 degrees F and European (Mediterranean) Fan Palm hardy to around 10 degrees F. I've got both here in Washington and they've shrugged of 10 days in a row of 25 degree highs with lows in the upper teens and there are a lot of Windmill palms I've seen that have been down to 10 degrees here several times and are still here. How cold does it get in Dallas?

On 2016-08-20 12:39, Freeland wrote:

On 2016-08-20 09:18, tikilongbeach wrote:
The Black Forest Bakery, which looked like a German country house, and where we always bought my Black Forest cakes for my birthday

I believe the Black Forest is still around... atleast I am sure I saw it when I was back in town a couple of weeks ago. Unless I am seeing ghosts of a Dallas tucked away in my mind.

You're right! I just Googled it.

On 2016-08-20 20:39, tikicoma wrote:
Dusty, another great collection of photos! Quite the find.

Tikilongbeach, the two palms in the pictures appear to be Chinese Windmill Palm hardy to about -5 degrees F and European (Mediterranean) Fan Palm hardy to around 10 degrees F. I've got both here in Washington and they've shrugged of 10 days in a row of 25 degree highs with lows in the upper teens and there are a lot of Windmill palms I've seen that have been down to 10 degrees here several times and are still here. How cold does it get in Dallas?

I haven't lived there for 10 years, but it would freeze, although not for more than 3 days. You're probably right.

Thanks to DC for those great pics, and I can confirm that they are of the Dallas location (if there was still any doubt). The meandering of the outside walkways, and the orientation on the site match an aerial photo from the time. Also, in one photo, you can see the Captain Cook's Restaurant, with two chimneys, on the left side of the shot. (Plus, there's my own memory of the place.)
The picture from the BoT is surely of a different location - Getty built several in that 'flying saucer' style. The sidewalk curves where it meets the bridge, the tiki is different,... there is some structure in the background, to the right (of the flipped picture) that could not have been there, in Dallas (it would have been in the middle of Meadow Road!).

AF

On 2016-08-19 11:45, Dustycajun wrote:
Finally found some photos of the UFO Don the Beachcomber building in Dallas!

Some killer outside views.

And some nice inside shots in color and black & white.

Cool stuff!

DC

Changed my mind...Freakin' Awesome!

Indeed, stellar! The only future alternative to A-frames! The architecture seems to have been inspired by "organic" architects Bruce Goff

http://www.organicarchitecture.info/bruce-goff-1904-1982/bruce-goff_-ruth-ford-house_1949_aurora-illinois/

...and Ken Kellogg

http://simondlinardi.blogspot.com/2015/07/kendrick-bangs-kellogg-american-organic.html

Now imagine the Marina Del Rey UFO, outfitted to the gills like this, PLUS all the artifacts that came from the closed original Don's in Hollywood in there! How I wish I would have seen that!

Here is the list of the artifacts that Oceanic Arts supplied for the Marina Del Rey location:

These places seem like the last full-fledged blow out of the style. The last stand of Tiki-glamour!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2016-08-30 09:14 ]

AF

On 2016-08-30 08:37, bigbrotiki wrote:
Indeed, stellar! The only future alternative to A-frames! The architecture seems to have been inspired by "organic" architects Bruce Goff

http://www.organicarchitecture.info/bruce-goff-1904-1982/bruce-goff_-ruth-ford-house_1949_aurora-illinois/

...and Ken Kellogg

http://simondlinardi.blogspot.com/2015/07/kendrick-bangs-kellogg-american-organic.html

Now imagine the Marina Del Rey UFO, outfitted to the gills like this, PLUS all the artifacts that came from the closed original Don's in Hollywood in there! How I wish I would have seen that!

Here is the list of the artifacts that Oceanic Arts supplied for the Marina Del Rey location:

These places seem like the last full-fledged blow out of the style. The last stand of Tiki-glamour!

Where's the 'Like' button?!?

^ right there

Who is DEC Associates?

Pages: 1 2 58 replies