Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Will there ever be another Bay Area Home Bar Tour?

Pages: 1 26 replies

...just wondering....

~T

CL

Good question.

Jeez, I can think of several home bars that would qualify for the tour in the East Bay alone. Really, truly, we gotsa gets our but in gear with our bar. Once we get ours up and running, we'd be glad to participate. June - September would be a great timeframe for an event of this type to happen.

Santa Rosa is so far away from the center of Tiki in the Bay Area, but I would be thrilled to open our home and tiki backyard to a house tour.

• Myke

On 2007-04-04 11:56, tikiwinebear wrote:
Santa Rosa is so far away from the center of Tiki in the Bay Area, but I would be thrilled to open our home and tiki backyard to a house tour.

• Myke

SANTA ROSA! What about SACRAMENTO! Yea, it's a way's away from the "Bay Area" but I think if you're gonna have a home Tiki Bar Tour they should be the ones that just stand out as SPECTACULAR!! (No offense Myke - I don't mean in comparison to yours since I've never seen your bar yet....just mean for example!).

Look at these photos of our own moondog426 - Ken's Tiki Bar in Sacramento!

And actually The Seattle Home Tiki Bar Tour was 10x more impressive than this! Think GILLIGAN'S ISLAND....just for starters!

H

No offense but Moondog's bar looks more like a Buffett bar than a Tiki bar.

No one is trying to compare who has the best tiki bar or tiki home, the topic is inquiring about a possible Tiki Home tour in the Bay area. Santa Rosa is considered North Bay, so I was simply adding my home to the possible places if a Home tour was to happen.

My decorum is meager compared to other places, but should have some of my art up by then and I have acquired a few more mugs. I am always up for a party and would be happy to make my home on the tour if Sacramento is the location. You could put my house at the end of the day, and if anyone needs to crash on a Saturday night...bring a sleeping bag...I got plenty of floor space.

If we do a tour somewhere else in the bay area I am game and happy to help with any planning.

(Just a reminder that I am having my second tiki party on June 2. I will be in Chicago the last week of July on business.)

B
Bincho posted on Thu, Apr 5, 2007 9:19 PM

Ok!Ok! -- I am good with this- I will add my place as a way station for a point North of San Francisco :D (we moved out of SF last year) we are 20 miles North, and not a bad point toget North or West or over to Oakland.

This is a great idea, and since we are usually trapped at home with the kids I would love to play host and meet some more TC peeps.

I got a few Tiki friendly peeps in Oakland too, if we want to add bodies or drink destinations.
My bar is posted in the creating tiki older- home bar thread-in case judgement needs to be rendered-but FYI it is an outdoor poolside bar-- (although there is an inside bar too, lol)

Keep me in the loop!

[ Edited by: bincho 2007-04-06 09:49 ]

CL

Looked at the thread from 2002 (was there a more current tour?)

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=784&forum=17&hilite=home%20bar%20tour

Since Martiki was the ringleader of that one and he's now presiding at FI, seems like the home bar tour has moved to FI daily. :wink: Aquarj (crawl #2) also has an awesome setup.

Okay, Northbay and Sacramento have chimed in, but what about the rest of the Bay Area: East Bay, SF, South Bay, Peninsula? Just curious.

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2007-04-05 22:04 ]

MT

Hey that looked like it was a cool party. And it was on my birthday no less! Funny that it was fall of 2002, yet hardly anyone had a digital camera yet. What is all this "getting my pics back from the developers" business?

Hey Martin, did you ever think back then, that in less than 5 years in the future that you'd be running your own bar?

I do think that the Bay Area is running a little thin on home tiki bars. We took a big hit when Mike and Alia closed the Kapili room and moved off to Sacramento. Also the same with the Ugh House, now that Mr. Smiley has moved to Las Vegas. Ruling out the Novato Grotto (because, hey, Martin now does the tiki bar thing on a daily basis for a living), I can only think of 2 or 3 remaining Bay Area home tiki bars where we have had events. A couple of these pretty much have parties by invitation only now. And there is a great one that has some major projects in the works. I do know of a couple of newer home tiki bars in the area, but I don't know how the owners of those would feel about opening them up to a bunch of strangers.

Maria and I have been working hard on Casa de Mai Tai, but it seems like I'm either short on time, or money, or both. Plus, every time we start on the bar, it seems like we have a major mis-hap with the house, like a leaking roof, or a burst pipe, etc. I guess that's what goes with owning an older house - it may be charming, but it's still old! But hey, I'll throw my hat into the ring, and say that when we finish the bar, we'd love to participate in a Bay Area home bar tour.

Maybe we could do a two-day crawl, with Saturday in the Bay area and Sunday in the Sacramento area (or visa versa). We could set up a schedule with time-slots and if we mapped out the host locations then we could figure out carpools, etc. :)

CL

Actually, this thread is about Bay Area home bar tours, not a crawl. Two different things. The previous Bay Area home bar tours were on the Peninsula and Novato. One or two bars at a time.

If you wish, a Sacramento home bar tour could be proposed and those wishing to travel from the Bay Area could go to the Sacramento Home Bar Tour. If you wish to spearhead a Sacramento home bar tour, you may want to consider posting it under new thread. :)

On 2007-04-07 10:53, VampiressRN wrote:
Maybe we could do a two-day crawl, with Saturday in the Bay area and Sunday in the Sacramento area (or visa versa). We could set up a schedule with time-slots and if we mapped out the host locations then we could figure out carpools, etc. :)

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2007-04-07 12:51 ]

My appologies...guess I misinterpreted. Sorry to throw this off track...so back to the original question, and ignore my posts please. :)

B
Buster posted on Sat, Apr 7, 2007 3:56 PM

The fez guys could probably get the Bali High on High Street primped for visitors if there was an East Bay House Bar tour.

Hinky Drinks (Oakland) is up for being on a Home Bar Tour.

...I have to confirm with TofuJoe first, though, so don't quote me on that...

T

Our place can certainly be added to the list.

Well, what time of year are we talking about? After TO7? Maybe September?

[yeah - heh....]

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2007-04-12 00:55 ]

B

September would be ok, just not the end of the month. Any other takers ?

J

I don't have a home bar, but I'd be happy to contribute bottles of my homemade ginger syrup to the bars of the hosts.

B

OK to bring us up to date:

Potential Bar Hosts South to North:

Hinky Drinks- Oakland- TBD
Coco Loco- Oakland-
Mai Tai- Alameda
Bincho- Novato-
TikiWine Bear- Santa Rosa
VampiressRN-Lincoln Hills

How about participants? I know a few....

It would seem a shame to miss thy neighbors bar, is it a crawl or a bar tour? or a Trawl?

[ Edited by: Bincho 2007-04-11 20:13 ]

CL

Actually Coco Loco and Mai Tai go together, in Alameda. :)

You forgot Buster's Bali High in Alameda. Not sure if Martiki in Novato is up for a home bar showing at this time given his Forbidden Island schedule.

Mentally picturing the Bay Area (East/South/Northbay) Ohana, I'd say we could easily pull together 12 -25 folks for a cocktail and enjoyment of one or two of the home bars.

It's definitely NOT a crawl -- we'd probably visit only one or two home bars at a time. I know at this point, Sept. works best for us, Haole'akamai and Buster, so calling roll 6 months in advance might be a bit premature?

On 2007-04-11 20:09, Bincho wrote:
OK to bring us up to date:

Potential Bar Hosts South to North:

Hinky Drinks- Oakland- TBD
Coco Loco- Oakland-
Mai Tai- Alameda
Bincho- Novato-
TikiWine Bear- Santa Rosa
VampiressRN-Lincoln Hills

It would seem a shame to miss thy neighbors bar, is it a crawl or a bar tour? or a Trawl?

[ Edited by: Bincho 2007-04-11 20:13 ]

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2007-04-12 11:33 ]

MT

On 2007-04-09 09:57, Haole'akamai wrote:
Okay, how about making your own liquers?

You don't raise the alchol content of the liquid; you're only adding flavor.

And they're even tastier when they're posted to the correct thread! :D

"It's Mai Tai. It's out of this world." - Victor Jules Bergeron Jr.

[ Edited by: Mai Tai 2007-04-11 21:16 ]

MT

On 2007-04-11 20:09, Bincho wrote:

If you post it, they will come...

A

Nothing official-like, but every once in a while we realize we've got a do-nothing weekend coming up. It always turns out to be a short notice deal, but anyway maybe we can have some folks over again this spring or summer, here on the Peninsula. I wouldn't call our place a home bar, but we've got some fun stuff to look at (and touch? hear? taste? smell?).

Plus within a stone's throw there's always the interesting nearby sites like the former Lanai, the former Lanai Liquors, and the former Villa Hotel. Hmm, maybe those were all formerly interesting. There's also the Bel-Mateo Bowl, with its un-tiki but delightfully themed tall steel totem pole and "Totem Room".

-Randy

CL

Very nice Randy. I was hoping you'd chime in, but didn't want to volunteer you.
:) We really enjoyed visiting your house.

M

The Novato Grotto is a maybe. It's pretty dusty these days.

Pages: 1 26 replies