Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Go to page 10 - Found Secret Stash of TIKI TOWELS!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies

Hey Tiki Central,
We donated a bunch of our TIKI beach towels to a charity event sponsored by Body Glove. It was a treasure hunt for underprivileged kids. They'd snorkel out and find submerged tokens, and trade them in for booty. Like towels. It was a bit cloudy this afternoon, but still 85 degrees. Tropical! Here's some photos...

There's Russ Lesser, president of Body Glove International as ring master on the left. Along with the treasure hunt, the kids got an education on water safety and how to protect the Hawaiian reefs.

The lagoon of the Hotel Kamehameha, where the small kikis snorkeled. Dig the recreated heiau to Lono in the back ground! Many Tikis!

Kids got to pick what they'd trade for the tokens. (Good choice!)

Older kids snorkeled on the other, deeper, side of the Kona pier to get their tokens, plus had to answer questions about the
hawaiian reefs, to get their prizes. (More good prize picks!)

Good time had by all! ALOHA!

How great. The Hotel King Kamehameha beach. That little bay is perfect for kids, shallow and calm like a pool. Last time I was in Kona with my son we stayed at that Hotel, one of the last old style (70s) places, with cool museum style showcases with Hawaiian artefacts, it was part of the chain that the Coco Palms belongs to.
That reproduction of Kamehameha's temple is my second favorite after the City of Refuge. It is neat to compare how they rebuilt it straight from the 1816 Lous Choris print (BOT p.58), even down to the bird on the Tiki's head:

When staying there, I had noticed an interesting, fenced off compound of several closed up 50s-style bungalows with their own little harbor next to the hotel property, an amazing prime piece of beachfront property, laying in a Cinderella-type slumber. Being an urban archeologist, one day me and Diego snorkeled around the point where the Hotel's Luau grounds are, and swam right into that harbor...only to be told by loudspeakers not to land, which we did anyway, upon which a guard appeared and guided us us straight off the property. The whole place was deserted, like nobody ever came there. I found out that it belonged to Bill Gates. :)

Thanks for posting the photos, I've very much enjoyed following this topic! Now where's that old horse blanket of mine?...I need to dry my hair!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

Bigbrotiki~ Cool info and Pics, plus you get huge props for naming your son Diego! (He should become an artist with a name like that!)
POCKETIKIGlad you're digging it! I'm having fun too! Hey, I still have not heard back from Big 5 on when the AD will come out. I don't want to bug them too much, because I have to sell stuff to them next season. However, I did discover you can go on line and check for Weekly Specials!
Just go to http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/
and click on the WEEKLY SPECIALS button on the right. type in your zip toad and it'll tell you which store is close to you, and what the specials in the paper are in your area.
I don't know if it's coming out this SUNDAY or not. It might... I'll check on it and post if I see it.
Have a great weekend!
Aloha

Closest store is Wichita, Texas, kind of a haul from the Chicago area! If these are ever available online, please let us know, I'd love to get one (or a bunch).

T

We have a sighting! I just saw them at Big 5 Capistrano Beach (Dana Point) and they look great. They were not yet marked as "on sale" but lots of other Body Glove stuff was. This could be the week!

P

wow, that's a great picture. the sketch is incredible. maybe someday i'll get to see it. it's amazing what hawaii does to maintain their culture.

They've reached the Inland Empire! The Hemet store only had 6 or 7 when I visited a week or so ago, and they were a bit difficult to find...finally found them sitting atop one of those round clothes racks in the middle of the store. Anyway, I picked up a nice blue one, and I may buy the others if I find them on sale (next week?).

Big 5 Sporting Goods
2920 West Florida Avenue
Hemet, CA 92545

(951) 929-6140

Today's sales flier does not list the towels. :(

Maybe next week.

Hey Thanks for the "Tiki Towel Sightings" everyone. My Business partner says he will get an e-mail on each Wed telling him if the sale is on or not. so, I'll check this coming WED and see!
Aloha!

Couldn't believe it when I found them way up here in oak harbor washington, snagged 1, hopefully they will go on sale and I'll buy a few more!

T

You know you have really made it when you are on eBay!

Tiki Towel

Tikisgrl

H

On 2007-05-15 17:54, Tikisgrl wrote:
You know you have really made it when you are on eBay!

Tiki Towel

Tikisgrl

Hey! That's the one that Stiki Tiki just purchased!

On 2007-05-15 12:49, Stiki Tiki wrote:
Couldn't believe it when I found them way up here in oak harbor washington, snagged 1, hopefully they will go on sale and I'll buy a few more!

Hey Cool! I didn't think they'd get all the way up there! Guess they were distributed farther than I thought! Great! Good luck on the sale, mate! (as my buddy Hewey would say)

Big aloha from the Big Island!

Well my daughters attempt to make money off the towel failed, good news is the towels are on sale for 9.99 now, if any east coasters would like 1 let me know and maybe I can pick one up for ya, as Dibroc did for me on the oceanic's mug, I'd like to do the same, cost is 9.99 + tax and shipping would be around 4-5 bucks.. pm me if ya need 1 as there were only a handful left.

there's 3 blue and 3 yellow left, if anyone wants em hurry-hurry...

Hey Thanks for the SALE update!
Folks, check your local Big 5 Sporting Goods store for the Tiki Towels, cause they are now on sale for $9.99 instead of $19.99!
It makes my heat warm to know so many Ohana butts will be seated on my tiki art!
Aloha!

Well, I checked the on-line Big 5 Sporting Goods weekly ads, but they do not list the Body Glove Tiki towels. So, that means... er, what does that mean? It means, they are are registered as officially marked down. However, that may not mean that some stores do not already have them marked down. It may also mean that Big 5 pulled the towels from the ad, and forgot to put them back in, yet they are still on sale. Confusing enough?! Sorry I don't have a clear pictue of this. Best to check with your local store, or wait till it offically comes out in the news paper ads.

Here's the Big 5 Link

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/default.aspx?action=browsebrand&storeid=2504110&brandid=-2099996642

Aloha!

P

i swam out and got my coin. where's my towel beeatch?

oh, no, really, i'm only 15.

R

I'll surely pay $40 for 2 (blue & purple :D) that were bought at $20 if a Western TC-ers would like to make a few $$......and just think there's no limit of 2 as with the OA mug! :wink:

Colors are blue and black, pink and black,or yellow and black, pink's are all gone here. Pm me if you want some, comes to about $30 with shipping for 2.

[ Edited by: Stiki Tiki 2007-05-19 09:02 ]

now there's only 3 yellows left, clerk said they may get more in???

Okay just back from the Big 5 Sporting goods in Glendale, CA. Lots of Body Glove Tiki Towels! Supporting the cause I purchased one yellow & one pink. They look great & I took these photos for the board.

tikibeachtutors, Thanks so much for the pics!
It's just like being there! Well, except that I'm not...

I'm HERE. (photo of artist just before giant wave building up behind him mashes his scrawny self into sand)
From your photo, it looks like all the pink... er I mean "coral" and black towels are gone! I thought the Blue and black would have been the most popular! Go figure!
Anyways, Big Aloha from the volcano!
And always remember, kids. "Never turn your back on the ocean!"

check the tags when ya buy em, theres 2 styles, 1 w/ tiki, and 1 with body glove logo...used a towel this morning and was surprised to find the log instead of a tiki.

StikiTiki,
Wow, the towel with the Body Glove logo, was the towel we did for Big 5 last year. We were told they were sold out, but perhaps a few stores had couple remaining towels in their back rooms. Sneaky bastards!

The old "logo" towels have hang a tag with this on it.

And the towel looks like this.

The new Tiki towels have a hang tag with this on it.

And the new tiki towels look like this...

But rolled up, they look the same.
Sorry for any confusion. I thought all the towels from last year were long gone!
You're right, best to check the tags!
Aloha~

Now they're vintage collectibles!
Oak Harbor is officially out of tiki towels, luckily I was able to return my 2 logos for tiki's.

P
Puki posted on Mon, May 21, 2007 2:36 PM

I just picked me up a blue one at my local Big 5 store, there were only about 7 left, one yellow, two blue, the rest pink. I guess the sale got rid of some inventory, I had to ask for them, the gal there said there were only a few left on top of the swimming suit rack.

COOL DESIGN !

Woohoo! I found some locally! I bought three. :D

I'd be willing to procure and ship one or more to you east coasters, or anyone out of Big 5 range, for $20 shipped. I'll wrap it in a Trader Joe's Tiki bag if you want! PM me. (Not trying to profit here. After taxes, shipping, and gas, there's a couple bucks you're buying me a beer with!)

P
Puki posted on Mon, May 21, 2007 8:33 PM

On 2007-05-21 20:14, 4WDtiki wrote:
I'll wrap it in a Trader Joe's Tiki bag if you want!

Dont ya just luv those Trader Joe's Tiki bags? I wish they'd use that design on their environmentally friendly reusable bags they sell.

Thanks for the updates on the towels everyone!
Stikitikiso glad Big 5 let you exchange your logo towels for tiki towels.
Puki
Only a few left! Cool, they must be doing well!
4WDtiki~Thanks for spreading the tiki towel mojo to the East coast ohana!
I checked with the local tiki gods here and they were smiling on all this tiki towel good mojo...

...Er, wait. That is a smile, isn't it?
(Hot Lava pours down volcano towards Tiki Shark offices)

Tiki Shark

http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2007-05-23 11:57 ]

Hey TC,

Has everyone been able to find the towels? Are there any left out there? As far as I can tell, the towels went on sale, with out any formal ad appearing in the LA times. It seems perhaps Big 5 Sporting Goods pulled the ad, and then forgot to place it when the sale happened. Sorry for the confusion, but big corporations sometimes work that way. As long as folks were able to find them on sale.

I talked to the factory, and they may (no guarantee) be able to get me some more. (?!) I wonder where they keep just happening to find more of my towels at their factory? Hmmm... anyway. If they can get me some more, I will post here and sell 'em for those who are interested.

Big Aloha from the Big Island!

R

On 2007-06-07 15:14, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Has everyone been able to find the towels? Are there any left out there? As far as I can tell, the towels went on sale,

If they can get me some more, I will post here and sell 'em for those who are interested.

Stiki Tiki got me a blue one and a yellow one on sale out in Washington State, but they were out of the Coral ones and the selection was dwindling fast! So if ya get any coral ones I'm game! :wink:

Ratiki, I'll let you know if I ever get any from over seas. Glad you got the blue and the yellow!

Hey TC,

Big Five Sporting Goods has placed the Ad putting the Tiki Towels on sale in the LA times this week!

You can go to Big 5's on-line site to check out their ads for this week here:
http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/default.aspx?action=browsepagesingle&storeid=2504077&rapid=413832&pagenumber=1

The factory supposedly shipped us some more towels, a month ago. No sign of it. So we are trying to track it through the mail. But that's dicey. No telling if they will ever arrive here. Fingers crossed!

Big aloha from the volcano!

there's a coupon in todays paper for Big 5 the tiki towels are down to $9
I haven't run to check yet but if anyone else out there wants one let me know and I'll look...

Got mine today at the Alameda location. They had about 5 yellow and a few blue and purple for $9 each. Now I am ready for the water.

I picked up a couple at the store in Boise today for 9 bux. I use tiki beach towels as my shower towels cuz I'm a big guy (245 lb's). The one's I've been using are 2-3 years old so it's great to find more Tiki towel goodness. The wahine is gonna love her coral towel! 9 bux is a steal.

I snagged the last two at my local Big 5 for 9 bucks (EA). A bargain at twice the price. Great beach towel. Next stop...DA BEACH!

OK enough with the towels, my poker game is in need of Tiki cards, so when is the deck gonna hit the shelves!

oh yeah, the cards.....

Hey Tiki Central,

I know some folks are having a tad trouble finding all the color of the towels. I contacted Big 5 Sporting Goods and asked how to make it easier on someone looking for a full set. Here's their response...

"With the amount of stores we have and the fact that our inventory changes we don’t have “particular” stores to recommend to customers. If they are not having their needs met by an associate in our store they should contact the Big 5 office and we can try to help find them a store. (800) 898-2994.

Hope this helps.

Thanks"

Well, I guess that means if you call the office they can direct you to which stores still have them in stock. I'm just really happy that they are selling, and everyone's interest in the towels here on TC. It's been a blast seeing them go out into the world. Maybe next year Big 5 will reorder, and I can design a new tiki!

Big Aloha from the Big Island!

OOPS! I gave out a personal number for a Big 5 excutive! Please see the 800 help number above and use that one instead! Mahalo!

Tiki Shark

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2007-06-27 13:39 ]

Fun Tiki Design!

Yeah baby! So, they are STILL on sale! Cool! I just checked their on line Big 5 ad and got this. But, now they're on sale at at $10 instead of $9. (?) And I guess, from the ad, they'll stay that way till July 4th, (or they run out.)

And hey, it's really not pink, it CORAL!

Big Mahalo from the volcano!

Tiki Shark

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2007-06-27 00:38 ]

R

On 2007-06-27 00:36, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Fun Tiki Design!

Yeah baby! So, they are STILL on sale! Cool!

And hey, it's really not pink, it CORAL!

Must have coral towel! Zumbuddy help pleeease! :D

Ratiki,

Hey just call the Big 5 office at (800) 898-2994 and they can tell you which Big 5 store still has the Coral Body Glove Tiki Towels in stock.

!!!!! OOPS! Sorry, I just saw that you are in Florida! I'd go out and buy you one buddy, but they don't have Big 5 Stores on the Big Island, and I gave all my extras to orphans! Perhaps we can call upon the sympathy of the Tiki Central Ohana to get you a coral towel.

Anyone up 4 it?

Big Mahalo from the Big Island!

OOPS number 2! I gave out a personal number for a Big 5 excutive! Please see the 800 help number above and use that one instead! Mahalo!

Tiki Shark

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2007-06-27 12:07 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2007-06-27 13:38 ]

C

These towels are all sold out at my local Big 5! Bummer!!!

Calitiki! Oh no! Which store is that?

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can call that 800 help number for Big 5 and find another store. I know their web site has a "store locator" on it. That might help. Hope you got the towels if you wanted 'em!

Hey, I know this sounds goofy, but a Friend told me how nifty the towels were displayed at the Big 5 in the valley. Since I'm here on the Big Island, and no where near a Big 5 I'm missing out seeing the towels as any part of any display. I'd love to see them in the store. I guess I'm such a nubie at this that seeing the towels in the stores is still a big deal for me... so.... IF anyone just HAPPENED to be in a Big 5 that was displaying the towels, and just HAPPENED to have a camera with them, perhaps, maybe, sorta, if it's not too much trouble, you could post that pic here so I could see how they look? I know, it's a goofy thing to ask, and it's not a big deal I guess, but It'd be really cool. If anyone gets a chance, That'd be amazing, if not, no worries!

Anyway, hope you're having a great weekend!
Aloha!

J

Hey Brad,
I'll hit my local Big 5 today or tomorrow, and if they have the towels displayed (although there were only a few left on the shelf when I was there a couple weeks ago, and they weren't really displayed at the time) then I'll be sure to snap a pic for you!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies