Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Historic Gilligan's Island Mugs for sale

Pages: 1 14 replies

FYI...
For those of you who would like some historic content added to your mug collection, a few mugs used on the Gilligans Island TV show are being offered for sale (via ebay live auctions)

The first lot includes a a cool plastic, pineapple-shaped pitcher, a ceramic coconut mug, and three seashell necklaces

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52935&item=170096785604

The second lot features a bamboo mug and paper umbrella, used by Jim Backus

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52935&item=170096785614

No indication is given on whether any authentication documents are provided with these items -- which may go a long way in convincing your friends that these items were really used on the show.

These are only two of the lots from a larger celebrity / memorabilia auction that include some pretty pricey items (James Dean's Flask, guitar owned by Muddy Waters/Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix's vest, Traci Lord's bra, etc)

Vern

Traci Lords wore a bra?

I don't think I saw that film.

..sbim

DA_M you, Vern!

Thanks to you, I cannot draw myself away from this HUGE list of - of - of STUFF! I'm only on page 18 and there are 116 PAGES! AAgh! I'm finding myself wanting Mae West's compact, and Dr. Frankenstein's medical bag, and Marilyn Monroe's lipstick, and Dale Evans' cowgirl hat, and.... you get the picture.

Totally, totally engrossing!!!

The clean condition of these items makes it seem likely to me that they are not from the original series, but from the two 1978/79 "Return to Gilligan's Island" T.V. movies.

There was a "Gilligan's" Tiki up for auction a while ago that seemed more genuine.
But, considering how long it ran, there were actually very few Tikis used in the show. The most prominent one was probably "Kona" in the 1964 "Waiting for Watubi":

This is the type of Tiki statue they used as "KONA", a 2 foot machine carved version of a Milan Guanko Tiki. I don't know how many were made, but I own this weathered version I found at "The Tikis".

I wonder if any decor from the Skipper's "Lobster Barrel" restaurant survived....

Not many Tikis in Gilligan's Island, but Wikipedia has a mindboggling list of "Things made out of bamboo" that appeared in the show! Eat your heart out, Ben!:

Things they made out of "bamboo"

a bamboo christmas tree?. .... holy moly. I thought the list was done and it just kept going! geez.

Dang it! No Big Lebowski swag!!

Alan Hales sister worked as a teacher at my old grade school. We didn't put two and two tegether until we were just about to move onto middle school. She looked like him only smaller and in a dress.

As for Lewbowski stuff - freinds of mine were in Hollweird a few years ago and went to that one place that sells the props and clothes of the stars and there was the Dudes duds on display - the robe, shorts and jellies he wore in the opening scene in Ralphs. The stupid peons didn't buy it for me - a mere couple bills. Needless to say - they aren't my frineds anymore!

Wow that is some list...guess the island was heavily overgrown. :)

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Apr 11, 2007 8:19 PM

I'm glad the Skipper finally got that "Big Juicy Steak" he was always moaning about on the island.

Didn't Alan Hale also own a restaurant in California called "The Castaways"?

Jeff

Jeff, I knew you had an un-answered question here somewhere..!:

There were two "The Castaways", in Miami and in Las Vegas, that seem to have been related. But what you are probably referring to is "The Castaway" in Burbank, which was owned by a restaurant group that owned the following L.A. Tiki havens:

The Pieces of Eight, Marina Del Rey
The Reef, Long Beach
The Ports o' Call, San Pedro
(notice how omitting ONE letter allows these places to use the same name than the other, earlier outfits, Ports oF Call, and CastawayS)

...it's quite possible that Alan Hale was an investor in that company, though I had not heard anything about that so far.

Alan Hale's Lobster Barrel

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:21 ]

I just stumbled across this link:

http://www.gilligansisle.com/props.html

"For those wishing to recreate the table setting environment of Gilligan’s Island,
the following is a list of actual props used and their modifications as used during
the shooting of various episodes. These items are still available today and can be
purchased from various collectable shops as well as being found on Ebay. Included
are screen captures from various episodes and the real life examples associated
with them for validation and verification."

This month Dawn Wells had a moving sale. Most of it was pretty run of the mill but she had a couple of Solomon Islands tikis with all the Mary Ann mana that you'd expect. I'm still waiting to see these in the Tiki Finds thread.

http://www.primetimeauctions.com/auction/detail/id=401762.html

Oh Dang, would have loved to snatch one of those..! I dig those guys anyway, but with that heritage...

Pages: 1 14 replies