Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Ohana hut on eBay

Pages: 1 2 94 replies

K
Kitty posted on Thu, Apr 12, 2007 9:27 AM

FYI, folks

Ebay auction

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - Shrank the link to fit onscreen - 2007-04-12 15:17 ]

T

hello, how many cookies can this hold???

:) :) :)

Viva le capitalism.

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2007-04-13 09:18 ]

J
JTD posted on Thu, Apr 12, 2007 12:36 PM

Oooh, Goody! Another chance to judge a person we don't know.

K

On 2007-04-12 11:59, Coco Loco wrote:
Guess it was just a matter of time before one popped up on Ebay. It's unbelievable that there are such unscrupulous people out there. Guess it's the type of person that would sell their mom's heirlooms if they could make a buck off of it.

You're right, of course. How dare anyone sell something that belongs to him free and clear. I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing anything requesting an oath in blood prohibiting the resale of the revered Ohana Hut. I only put this up in case one of you who lost out on the original sale might want it. I know there were quite a few who were disappointed. Here's your shot at one.

I

Perhaps I will purchase a second one. How many Ohana Huts must I obtain before I have an Ohana Village? I could become a mad tiki shaman/scientist, and try to capture more and more of the Ohana spirit out there in the world, not being satisified until all 100 copies of the Ohana Hut are in my possession.

Or I could stop when I obtain 26 of the Ohana Huts, and start a game show called 'Mai-Tai or No Mai-Tai' Contestants would have to choose between 26 different beautiful wahines, each one holding a similar looking Ohana Hut. Each Ohana Hut would contain a different mai-tai recipe. As is in the real world, most of the mai-tais would be way too sugary and taste awful, but there would be some really good recipes in others. One of them would contain the rare $1400 mai-tai.

Or maybe I would start distributing them to our real world leaders, with the hope of some of the Ohana spirit affecting their political decisions. In the past week, I have discovered that I prefer it when our political leaders are holding tiki mugs in one hand (as long as they do not have the red 'lauch the nuclear missile' in the other)

I don't really worry too much about who ends up with the Ohana Huts. Sure, it would be nice to have a good, kind, tiki loving Tiki Centralite to have one and treat it nice - but on the other hand, even a clueless evil tiki-hating person might benefit from a little bit of Ohana in their life.

Vern

note the irony that the ohana hut would not be shipped to anyone in hawaii? :D

K

On 2007-04-12 12:36, JTD wrote:

Ha! You read my mind. Perfect!

the type of person that would sell their mom's heirlooms if they could make a buck off of it

Items listed on my Personal Articles Insurance Policy:

-Grandma's Wedding Ring

-Oil Painting of Great-Grandfather

-Urn with Uncle Fred's Ashes

-Hand-written Family Bible smuggled out of the old country before the invasion

-Green Ceramic Cookie Jar

On 2007-04-12 12:55, Kitty wrote:

Guess it was just a matter of time before one popped up on Ebay. It's unbelievable that there are such unscrupulous people out there. Guess it's the type of person that would sell their mom's heirlooms if they could make a buck off of it.

You're right, of course. How dare anyone sell something that belongs to him free and clear. I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing anything requesting an oath in blood prohibiting the resale of the revered Ohana Hut. I only put this up in case one of you who lost out on the original sale might want it. I know there were quite a few who were disappointed. Here's your shot at one.

Kitty, your correct, you have every right to sell this mug, Hut, it's yours to do as you want with it, absolutely for $1.00 or $1000.000.000.00 It's great that those of us that lost out on a mug because we went to work etc. & missed the opportunity by the time we got home to purchase a hut will now have that opportunity. But I was thinking how much cooler it would have been to actually be able to buy a hut at issue price on TC but unfortunately that was tough because they only made 100, they sold out instantly, and of course we have to account for people that bought them that were tricky & managed to finagle more than 1, also the people that don't really care about the meaning behind it but hey, they are TC members too.... Oh look they joined at TC Hut selling time...Leave us not forgetting the folks that bought one for the soul purpose of reselling it for possibly hundreds of dollars. I was one of the quite disappointed persons you were speaking about, & to think? " you only put it up it up in case" I do wonder why you have one or bought one? what, you suddenly lost interest? (no, just kidding, it's very clear) it's great to have this opportunity to own one being concerned as you are and "just in case" . So just in case you really are that concerned at our "shot at one" I would so HONORED to own a TC Ohana Hut & would put it up on it's shelf with great pride. I will offer you $90.00 for it plus $20.00 even to ship it with insurance, Issue price. OOps.... this isn't eBay.. or Ooga-Mooga... don't blame ya.. you will probably get quite a price there for sure & you do have every right, absolutely. Sleep Well... absolutely

On 2007-04-12 12:36, JTD wrote:

stand corrected, not judging a person, only their action at this 1 particular forum.

T

I believe Kitty only posted that there was an ebay auction, and not that it was her mug.

On 2007-04-12 11:59, Coco Loco wrote:#16's not registered
Yeah, but you can figure it out easily :wink:

It's true - it's theirs to do with as they please, but I hope they sold it because they really really really needed the money....

....which I guess means that I'm hoping that their house burned down or they got a terrible disease or lost their job or they're getting a divorce and the spouse is taking them to the cleaners and therefore they had to sell their most cherished possessions for a quick buck? No, wait, I don't wish THAT! NONE of those!! Oh, maybe they they were broken into and somebody stole it and then learned of its value and is now selling it on eBay? NO, I don't want that EITHER! Seriously!

So I guess I'm not sure what I'm hoping to believe.

Well, I'm hoping that it goes to a very happy buyer.
There! I knew I could find something sunny to say :)

And seller, I hope that whatever ill wind befell you puts your feet back on the ground soon. I hate the thought of your home burned or you diseased or jobless or divorced or broken into. You are, after all, ohana - ohana in rough times.
F

Why do people get so damn snippy when it comes to mugs? I am very bummed that I missed out on an Ohana Hut too. I don't expect to ever be able to afford one on the secondary market, but I can say that about a lot of things. And mugs are only things. Maybe it should have been called the Bitter Hut.

Aloha Mr. Hand

[ Edited by: theded1 2007-04-12 14:36 ]

T

Mug watch $90

T

"I believe Kitty only posted that there was an ebay auction, and not that it was her mug. "-tikigreg"I only put this up in case one of you who lost out on the original sale might want it. "Kitty

T

On 2007-04-12 14:50, teaKEY wrote:
"I believe Kitty only posted that there was an ebay auction, and not that it was her mug. "-tikigreg

"I only put this up in case one of you who lost out on the original sale might want it. "Kitty

Exactly, you see my point.

T

I guess the up could be the Up in the TC or Up on Ebay.

It would have to be someone from California.

...we are such bastards...

I can't decide whether I want to stand here in a dull stupor, cry, or hunt them down.

...Hmmm, it does say the winning bidder can pick it up...

T

Nothing gets the 'Kool Kids' blood boiling then a selling of a mug !!!!

H

Dudes! It's just a mug! A hunk of ceramic! (A very lovely one, but still...)

Whoever is selling this is totally entitled to do so, and I don't think they owe anybody any reasons why (and as Formikahini pointed out, please do stop to consider for a moment that they could have some very compelling, and sad, and personal reasons). I can understand that it's a bit disappointing to see, and a bit of a head-scratcher, but really -- if this is the worst thing you have to deal with today, I think you're going to be just fine.

anybody got an extra $100 layin around to give me? nudge nudge

CL

Okay okay, perhaps I jumped in and judged. It's just a personal knee jerk response. I could have sold our Ohana hut on ebay, and truly we could really use the money right now, but didn't out of loyalty to the concept. And frankly, given the strong feelings of TCers who didn't get one, I was offended.

My apologies to all, everyone, and anyone I offended. But no apologies for my thoughts. Yes, it's just a mug and really, it's not that important in the big scheme of things. Just hit a nerve. Good luck in selling to whomever it is.

Also, by the way, my message was in no way directed towards Kitty. She was simply the messenger. My apologies to Kitty if she thought otherwise.

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2007-04-12 16:33 ]

No judging here...I'm outbid. :D

Ahhh!...so nice to enjoy the calm after the storm!

Tiki is there to enjoy my friends...ENJOY! - Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai!).

CL

No more storms from me on this one. :)

Did we ever establish how many cookies will fit into it? :wink:

I'll throw in my hand and say 50 oreos.

CL

Do you think 30 coconut macaroons will fit? If so, I may have to bid...

MT

Bad Kitty!!! :evil:

Kidding, actually, just kidding. Geesh, are people still complaining about this? I mean, it's sooooo last year! Coco Loco, I'm glad you lightened up on this as well.

Hey, if folks want something to complain about, try buying a Shecky mug. Those are going for really close to what this Ohana Hut is going for, and no one seems to be bitching about that. I joined TC around the time that they were blowing those out for almost nothing, but didn't really realize what it was until it was too late. And I know people who have multiple Shecky's, but they won't part with a single extra. And why? Because it's become "too valuable". Just like that scene in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - Drink from the mug? Why, it's far too valuable! Sell it?!? Why, I'm far too attached to it!!!

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we all have to realize that once these puppies' availability has gone to a secondary market, then the price is going to be sky high. Therefore, I feel that this seller should be able to ask whatever the market bears. Who knows, maybe nobody will meet the reserve, and no one will use the Buy It Now feature. But I doubt it. Someone out there will want it bad enough to splurge on it.

Can we all please just move on to the next Tiki Central mug design to give everyone something fresh to bitch and moan about?

"It's Mai Tai. It's out of this world." - Victor Jules Bergeron Jr.

[ Edited by: Mai Tai 2007-04-12 18:32 ]

On 2007-04-12 15:34, Humuhumu wrote:
Dudes! It's just a mug! A hunk of ceramic!

so true. My Ohana lives in the hearts of my fellow TCers...

We're all just having fun, here, right?

Put me on the list for one please... :lol: :P

P

Actually as "Prime Bitch" on the Ohana Hut sales thread, I'm surpised it took this long.
I thought there would be more sold and sooner. So, not too bad, actually. 1 out of 100.

I hope someone worthy and wise gets it. And the seller gets $52,000 for it.

So far, I've only shared mine with Duke and Amy Carter.
Hopefully, next is Waitiki in May.

Hey, I'm doing my part.

(Is there a "patting oneself on the back" emoticon?)

CL

Amy Carter, as in Jimmy's daugher?! If so, wow!

On 2007-04-12 18:16, pablus wrote:

So far, I've only shared mine with Duke and Amy Carter.
Hopefully, next is Waitiki in May.

Hey, I'm doing my part.

(Is there a "patting oneself on the back" emoticon?)

[ Edited by: coco loco 2007-04-12 18:27 ]

MT

Coco Loco, you must now forfeit your Ohana Hut to the ebay gods for that comment.

CL

Uh oh, Mai Tai is watching me now. :o Mai Tai, I was being sincere.

I think it's interesting. I personally don't know anyone who lived in the White House - and as a kid at that. Or had a dad who was a president. Or had world leaders over for dinner. I'm really intrigued. And as I recall she's a very talented artist. I'm sure she seriously has some great stories to tell. And over an Ohana Hut all the much more better. But hey if it's a different Amy Carter, I'm sure she's wonderful too. Hence, my question. :)

I

I believe Pablus was referring to a different Amy Carter, who is married to Duke Carter, who together have been collecting mugs for several years. Duke has a column in Tiki Magazine, and is the author of the Tiki Quest book.

But it wouldn't surprise me either if Pablus is friends with Jimmy Carter's daughter, or has serenaded half the people from Plains, GA with his ukulele. He has been known to work for both mai-tais and peanuts, depending on his mood at the time.

Vern

Hey at least they tried to answer the cookie question. I would bid if i wasn't saving to watch iggy and the stooges in memphis(and 80 is the most i think am going to pay anymore for mugs)! YEAH!!

Hmmmm... I guess I am the only one who knows the true owner of that Hut.
Am I sworn into a confidentiality agreement when one purchases a mug?

And on a side note as to the last remaining huts... yes there are still some waiting for theirs. Ive been down in the dumps lately. Im going through a divorce right now, the whole seperation was a horrible surprise. That and some production problems have slowed me down a bit, I think I lost about 5 huts. And no not because I lost my temper and broke them(not that I havent been wanting to break mugs lately), actual production problems.

I hope you all understand.

laters
-s

US $299.00
Auction ended early with Buy It Now.

Ended: Apr-12-07 20:42:12 PDT
buyer: blueskyys4me( 250)

On 2007-04-12 18:53, Coco Loco wrote:
Mai Tai, I was being sincere.

I think it's interesting. I personally don't know anyone who lived in the White House - and as a kid at that. And as I recall she's a very talented artist.

I heard she finally grew into those ears of hers...

MT

Bay Park Buzzy, you beat me to the post! Yep, I knew someone would forgoe the drawn out auction, and just Buy It Now, and ruin the next few days of agonizing and hand wringing drama here on TC. Damn!!!

On 2007-04-12 20:58, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
US $299.00
Auction ended early with Buy It Now.

Ended: Apr-12-07 20:42:12 PDT
buyer: blueskyys4me( 250)

I'll sell mine for 300.00 at the Farm Sale this Saturday if anyone wants it.

PM me!!

I'm just not a collector type ( or ebay pro). I'll have a few other mugs for sale there also.

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2007-04-12 22:03 ]

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2007-04-12 22:05 ]

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2007-04-12 22:08 ]

BEN MY HERO! Lets Break it!!! cool to offer it to TCer's 1st. If I catch ya $350-400 for it will ya buy me a shaved ice & a chicken on a stick? Will miss ya Saturday :D

When I think of the sort of creep that would dare buy an Ohana Hut, not appropriately appreciate that great honor, and then sell it to the highest bidder, well I can easily empathize with the the people who are outaged over that ------ because I was once 12 years-old.

Holy cats, people. I'm as addicted to mugs and the generosity among tiki lovers as just about anybody. But if you're over 12 years-old and getting that worked up over the integrity of someone auctioning a tiki mug, you need to seriously reconsider what things are truly critical in this life.

On 2007-04-12 20:58, stuckieshaft wrote:
Hmmmm... I guess I am the only one who knows the true owner of that Hut.
Nope! As I said, one can easily figure it out! :wink:

But Stuckie, I am so sorry about the dissolution of your marriage, I'll refrain from the trivialization of a frowny face here, but I feel like 4 or 5 of them right now. I hope you can pick up the pieces soon. And I'm glad that you have the wonderful example of your parents' marriage to know that marriage can work - and beautifully at that.

F

Oh, and Amy Carter (not Duke's) is an Atlanta girl (or at least used to be when I was a Georgia girl). She and her cartoonist husband would come to the same garage-rock shows as me. Very sweet and very cool, actually, both of them. I can't recall now if she had Secret Service men there at The Star Bar or not. Probably not, but I like to think so anyway. It's so bad movie.

OK - so I sold my goddamn hut. I did not buy it in order to sell it but after having it for a while I decided that there are other mugs I would rather have than this one. I proposed trades to a few other TC members and those did not pan out. If I had personally known a member that wanted one they would have gotten it.

With regard to Maria Loco's now deleted comments calling me "unscrupulous" a "creep" and a "jerk" I am considering the source and letting it slide this time.

I reserved the thing for $225, and i'm a little sorry that it went so high but glad it did not go higher. Judge me as you will and I'll reserve the right to do the same.

So you're the f%#cking bastard!

:)

Pages: 1 2 94 replies