Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Aloha!!!! an introduction and a couple pics

Pages: 1 13 replies

Hiyall!

Well, it's spring and as usual I find myself needing to satisfy my recurring Tiki Jonze! I have been drooling over all the pics of work by everyone, especially Tiki Shark, Benzart, Paipo, Tama, Basement Kahuna and GMAN(all I can say is GZUS!) to name the ones most prominent in the front of my mind.

Whatta a place you all have cultivated. So much comaraderie and instruction. I know once we get settled in our new house I will be implementing so much of what i've learned while lurking I started feeling like a thief so I wanted to introduce myself and maybe help where I can.

Like someone else here (who painted a Soto painting for themselves, how cool?) my impetus for creating things was to surround myself with objects I desired, but had no money to spend on them even if i could find what my mind yearned to see in reality.

Unfortunately I am inbetween homes and all my stuff is in storage, plus my computer was stolen in Memphis, so I don't have too much to show at the moment. I have done one Tiki carving, about 4 or 5 inches long on a small dowel I found in my garage, with a dremel and every bit that came with it (some were useless, some are ruined, LOL!). No pics of that at the moment, but I can show you my airbrushed bowling pin Tiki and a shrunken head I did out of clay from a drawing I did on 2" wide masking tape while farting around at my job. I made a mold of the shrunken head out of craft store rubber molding junk and got one cast out of it, ruining the clay model. Sorry about the small size of the clay piece pic, it's all I got right now. It's about the size of my hand, not that you know how big my hand is, but I'm not sure how to describe it and the casting is in storage.

Anywho, good to be here, thanks for looking!

The drawring

The clay piece

The bowling pin

TK

Nice work! did you do the sculpt first or the paint?
Either way, pretty groovy.
Cheers!
Tiki King

The drawing came first then the clay.

Thanks a ton!

[ Edited by: Big Hodad-dy Reid 2007-04-21 05:18 ]

B

This one friggin' rocks! Reminds me of 1950's horror comics.

What else ya got? Sorry to hear about the computer. Post more stuff when you're geared up again.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Apr 22, 2007 4:18 AM

Well, thanks for including me in such esteemed company! Welcome to TC and nice work Reid! I envy you guys that can work across different media so easily. It looks to me like your skills are pretty well honed.
I really dig the vintage vibe (and the colours) of the drawing on masking tape too - what did you use to make it? It almost looks more painted than drawn....

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 22, 2007 5:03 AM

Brother Big HR,

That is some wikkid stuff there! I can only imagine what that Dremel-carved dowel looks like - it must be awesome! That sculpt and the head painting are top-shelf! I love it. It's great to have you on the boards! I hope you are able to get settled and start creating and posting all the "things" that you need to decorate your new place. I think you will fit in quite nicely 'round here. I'll be watching and waiting for your next update!

-Gman

Tikidav- Thanks a lot! I like the comparison, probably not a conscious effort at the time, but it falls right into visuals I love and hope to emulate(when it comes out right it's usually because I wasn't trying though, diggit?). I have just a couple more Tiki related pieces to post once I get settled, probably August or so.

Paipo- Don't even act like you don't belong in that company! Unless it helps you pass on your knowledge(nudge nudge wink wink) Sadly my skills are not well honed, it's natural as long as I can focus, and some beginners luck at times. For the drawing I used what we had available: Ball point pen, colored markers, and a white china marker or grease pencil (kind of like a white crayon/colored pencil if you never heard of those) I never really get hung up not having the exact right tools for anything, sometimes you just have to make do when the inspiration hits, you know, or risk losing the train of thought.

GMAN- You got my PM so no need to restate it, but thanks for the compliments.

Thank you all for looking and the welcome!

S
squid posted on Mon, Apr 23, 2007 8:50 PM

OOOH-weeeee! Nice work Mr Hodaddy Reid! Welcome aboard. Can't wait to see more when you get up and running again. As far as I'm concerned Tiki Central can always use more monstery stuff!!

squid

K
kirby posted on Mon, Apr 23, 2007 8:56 PM

love it dude.. welcome aboard...P.S. dont hang around squid, hes a bad influence...

I agree with what was said earlier! That drawing totally looks like an E.C. Horror Comic drawing. Friggin' awesome my man. I love the sculpt!

Squid- Monstery stuff? Well, what drew me to Tikis is the creepy/spooky side, so I'm sure at least some of my stuff will fall into that catagory.

kirby- Uhhhh...... okay. But what kind of influence are you? ha HA!

PockyTiki- Thanks a lot! Been diggin' yer stuff too!

Thanks all for looking and commenting! This really is quite a site.

Welcome! Welcome!Great stuff! A little bit of EC comics feel on some! Create more! Now!
And don't listen OR hang out with Kirby or Squid! They're bad influences!

welcome i love your paintings especially the shrunken head keep up good work

S
sar1 posted on Sun, Oct 28, 2007 8:46 PM

I would like to introduce myself, my name is Scott Rudy, I live in Dayton, Ohio USA and I stumbled onto Tiki Central while surfing for information on carving stone. I recently became interested in carving stone and was searching for tips and hints on the subject and found Tiki Central.

I have found a lot of wood carving sites but they are nothing compared to the Tiki wood carving artists here. I'm not into Tiki but, I have found every Tiki Centrals artists projects most wonderful. I was most interested in rock carving before I found Tiki Centrals Bone Carving Q&A thread now, I'm interested in bone carving also. I really don't think I could start a project until I understand the symbols and their meanings so, I will have do some homework.

I love this site and I just wanted to say hello to everybody and I find all of the artwork to be excellent.

Scott Rudy
aka: sar1

Pages: 1 13 replies