Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Vintage Furniture... Paul Frankl...

Pages: 1 15 replies

Does anyone know about Paul Frankl designs? Matt & I just bought a set from an antique store, they are repairing some of the caining so we won't pick it up for 2 weeks or so. The set is a couch, 2 chairs, ottoman, a chaise and ottoman (they are slightly different, but close in design. The couch, chairs & ottomam have rings of bamboo (7 I believe) which the dealer said is the most he came out with. There are a few end tables also that come with the set. The cushions were reapulstered, but I was really curious if anyone knows more information.

I don't have a photo yet of the set, but soon.

Here's a site that shows the style:

http://www.icollector.com/item.aspx?lid=5673022

Thanks for any information you can share!
On a side note, we spent the weekend putting matting on a wall in our family room and cut some bamboo poles to cover the seams. We plan to finish and do the same on the pitched ceiling, once we get the furniture we can decorate! I'll definatly post pix when it's done, can't wait, it's very exciting!

TikiMookie

just what would you like to know?

[ Edited by: atomicchick 2008-08-29 20:28 ]

*You might find this helpful ... also Taschen has some really wonderful reference books for modern design and furniture history

Paul Frankl
American Art Deco Designer [1886 - 1958]

Paul Frankl was the first American designer to produce a totally original American furniture design with his "Skyscraper" bookcases, the success of which led him to name his company "Skyscraper Furniture". Between his early (mid 1920's) success with "Skyscraper" style furniture and his later Chinese Modern and "Speed" furniture of the 1930's, Frankl wrote books and magazine articles on the Modern Style and was its most vocal proponent. He later designed production pieces for Brown & Saltzman of California and Johnson Furniture Company of Grand Rapids, incorporating an early use of biomorphic designs and novel materials such as cork veneer.

T

Paul Frankl:

Was an Art Deco designer who died in 1958 see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_T._Frankl

THORTIKI

H

The furniture is actually made of rattan, not bamboo -- it's a common misunderstanding. Rattan bends, bamboo doesn't.

This page has a bit of info, but possibly not anything specifically useful for you:

http://www.moderneage.com/rattan.html

Congrats on such a great find! I'd love to see pictures.

On 2007-04-23 13:47, Humuhumu wrote:
Rattan bends, bamboo doesn't.

Well, he's always been a salty son of a bitch. (since I've known him at least.)

I believe 7 band rattan on the ends of a Frankl square Pretzel rattan is rarer than the 6 band and probably a value adding feature. Most people want the 6 band as there are 5 band sets out there etc...
I heard an expert say that the more bands in the stacked base the older a piece probably is, something like 10 bands = 30's, 9 bands 40's, and 8 bands 50's. The best way to take care of your rattan is with Murphys oil soap for cleaning and linseed oil for oiling. Sounds like you've a good idea of the value and the pieces are being finished so other than clean, oil, wax., what do you need to know:

Although midcentury designers such as nelson and eames are given credit for modular furniture design, the Frankl rattan designs were the first modular , flexible arrangement furniture manufactured.

Bark cloth looks great on rattan, especially with solid sides on cushions and piping on edges.

Rattan is not bamboo.

Frankl is the designer but many companies made Frankl designs.

Any more specific questions?

Thanks for the cleaning tips and the info. I've done a little research today, yup, rattan...

I just thought I would throw it out there in case some of you experts knew information on it. I always get great info on this site and I really didn't know anything about the furniture, just that it was vintage and we love the look of it, it's really comfortable too! Can't wait to get it home.

Appreciate the info...

I don't think you will find it comfortable or easy to maintain. What is your address...I'll come right over and take it off your hands. :D

Paint me jealous....what a great find. I am looking forward to your pictures too.

Whoa, didn't see the l at the end of his name. I really need to wear my glasses, sorry!

Is that going to go under the long board by the Fireplace, or in the Back Tiki Bar? (or in the yet to be transformed Tiki Office?)

That's swank Mooks, good score!

Who get's to inform the cats that it's not for them?

Kudos to Humu for posting the link to ModerneAge. Their rattan is so nostalgic and beautiful. I have admired the tropical deco style since I was young, but never really knew the difference between rattan and bamboo (shhhh...don't tell anyone). I would love to have a room of that stuff...just gotta rob a bank. :)

Great thread....learning a lot here.

It's going in the "family room" which is the one we are transforming into tiki, off the kitchen. We've put up the wall matting and split the bamboo poles to cover the seams. The ceiling is next, then painting the oposite walls, moving the fishtank and picking up the furniture.

I'll post pictures when the project is complete.

(yeah, keeping the cats and Woody off the furniture will be a challenge)...

Ooooh...looking forward to seeing your newly decorated digs. I just love that style of furniture, throw in a few palms and it is going to be kickin!!!

Pages: 1 15 replies