Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Forbidden Island gets bumped AGAIN: We're now on the Today Show **JUNE 29th**

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

M

Aloha!

I'm very excited to announce that the Today Show filmed a segment at Forbidden Island two weeks ago that will air JUNE 29th

It's part of their series called Spirits 101, and we're featured on their upcoming (shocker!) Rum episode. Why they are doing Rum two days before Cinco de Mayo and did Tequila last december, I'll never know.

They interviewed our friend Ed Hamilton, aka the Minister of Rum, who many of you are familiar with, as well as some of our regular rummies. They taped about four hours of footage, and I think the segment will be 90 seconds. So I don't know what will make it in the final cut. Then it's back to the studio where Al, Matt, Meredith and Ann will get loaded on rum and likely spread some lies and misinformation that will make Ed & I crazy. I will then mud wrestle Roker in a cage match to the death. I mean, hopefully.

So set your TiVos!

Mahalo!!!!

[ Edited by: martiki 2007-05-03 07:34 ]

[ Edited by: martiki 2007-06-28 12:06 ]

Cool!!!

On 2007-04-24 21:54, martiki wrote:
I will then mud wrestle Roker in a cage match to the death.

Put my name on the list if they make a mug!

Kudos. Very nicely done. I want to see the crew "happy" on rum.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Apr 25, 2007 4:12 AM

Cool. 2 words - you tube! :D

How exciting....will mark the calendar for the airing. You Tube would be good. :)

S

Very nice! Carry the Tiki flag for us all!

P

You guys are making tiki mainstream now.
You're worse than Target, Walgreens and Long Drugs combined.
Soon Sven will be selling Sketchers.
JT will have a lecture series in Vegas.
Otto will have a line of children's clothing.

I'm showing up at the segment with my kini-kini and I'm gonna lop off some prime-time heads.
We can't let this happen.

Now I'll never get into Forbidden Island.
sigh

M

Hey that actually reminds me- if anyone in the New York area wants to put on their best Aloha and stand in front of the studio on May 3rd- you can tell Roker how much you like tiki and rum! And then mud wrestle!

CONGRATS! that's kewl.
have to git up early to watch it!
Pea

Very cool!

PS - Did I hear there was a list?

Congrats, Martin (and Mike and Mo)!!! With all the attention and fame, will you be expanding into the parking lot next? Or even a Forbidden Island 2!!

You deserve the attention.

• Myke

On 2007-04-25 15:01, tikiwinebear wrote:
Congrats, Martin (and Mike and Mo)!!! With all the attention and fame, will you be expanding into the parking lot next? Or even a Forbidden Island 2!!

You deserve the attention.

• Myke

Mrs.Mojo and I know of a little Island in need of a Tiki Bar more North for the Marin, Napa, Sacto crowds and a low cost property currently.....how 'bout an actual water front Tiki bar on the mouth of the Napa River on Mare Island....Vallejo for those of you outa the loop! :wink:

On 2007-04-25 11:23, martiki wrote:
Hey that actually reminds me- if anyone in the New York area wants to put on their best Aloha and stand in front of the studio on May 3rd- you can tell Roker how much you like tiki and rum! And then mud wrestle!

I'm there except for the mud wrestling (well, unless I've had plenty of rum).

Forbidden Island

in

Vegas!!!

Off the strip

small

quaint

Perfect!!!

S

On 2007-04-26 07:23, RevBambooBen wrote:
Forbidden Island

in

Vegas!!!

Off the strip

small

quaint

Perfect!!!

Forbidden Island, around the bend from Taboo Cove?...

It is heartening to hear that the media has picked such a fine example of our subculture. There couldn't be any better ambassadors of contemporary Tiki culture than the "Forbidden" crew: In-the-know, passionate about it, and flawless in execution!

Let's hope that the edited end-result will not make y'all look too "goofy", as some previous "Crazy Home" shows have managed to do with us, using too quick cutting, wild camera moves, and lame commentary, resulting in mass media fluff/bubble gum for the mind.

It'll happen just like that. :) What do you think this is, Europe?

:wink:

On 2007-04-26 09:18, bigbrotiki wrote:
It is heartening to hear that the media has picked such a fine example of our subculture. There couldn't be any better ambassadors of contemporary Tiki culture than the "Forbidden" crew: In-the-know, passionate about it, and flawless in execution!

I still see lots of flaws. Nobody else might see them, but I do. There is a little bit of white showing through a crack on the booth wall.....etc.

Arrrrr!!!

Next Forbidden Island in Fullerton or Anaheim,please.
there is no Tiki bars anywhere near here in North O.C.
I have to drive forever to get to one.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TL

Sorry Bigtikidude, but the next Forbidden Island has to be in San Diego. It's not that far of a drive.

T
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.