Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

1932 Hawaii Curio Shop with Tiki Out Front

Pages: 1 7 replies

My brother purchased a large collection of Hawaii real photograph postcards recently and found this one. A great curio shop with lots of glass floats hanging on the trees. And by the doorway is a very nice Tiki statue. Here is the overall image:

A close up of the tiki statue:

I believe the location for this shop was on Oahu as the rest of the postcards show Honolulu. One was postmarked 1932 to give me the date.

On 2007-04-28 11:56, Matterhorn1959 wrote:
I believe the location for this shop was on Oahu as the rest of the postcards show Honolulu. One was postmarked 1932 to give me the date.

At least back then I would say it was a pretty safe bet that the Tikis were actually carved IN HAWAII!

Now it's sure no guarantee that just because it's shipped from Hawaii or you bought it in Hawaii that it actually came from Hawaii.

The only way to tell for sure is to know the carver IS Hawaiian and to WATCH him carve it!

I'm sorry, I digress....that's a very nice vintage photo! :D

Very nice image of the shop...I love the sepia tone. That is definitely framable. :)

G

I can't quite tell, but does that sign in the tree say "Coconut Ambrosia"? Mmmmmm, the food of the gods.

Gator- Yes the sign states Coconut Ambrosia. It sounds yummy!

Are any of the other cards post-worthy? Even if there's no tiki, I'd like to see some. :)

Nothing else unusual or interesting in the other cards, just normal shots of Diamond Head, Iolani Palace, Waikiki beach...

Those still sound interesting...if ya get time post em. I love old postcards. :)

Pages: 1 7 replies