Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Do You Think Thomas Kinkade Is Selling Out?

Pages: 1 19 replies

Today I opened an issue of Just Smile & Doze (an escape-from-reality lifestyle mag) and was a little shocked (Shocked!) to find an ad in the back for Thomas Kinkade coffees and teas.

Stop me if yuh've heard this one before, but ain't that kinda goin' too far? I mean I'm all for an artist makin' money off his art, especially one as gifted as Thomas Kinkade. He has every right to his self proclaimed title "The Painter of Light" as he has a grasp of light that even the great masters barely approached. And his success is well deserved as Kinkade has given the world so much beautiful and serene art. (I'd go so far as to say that for the happiness he has brought us we all sorta owe him a livin'!)

We all love the Thomas Kinkade's limited edition posters, prints, lithographs, and giclees. And I don't really have any problem with the Painter of Light's candles, dinnerware, tapestries, screen savers, decorative plates, puzzles, clocks, jewelry, fridge magnets, calendars, tote bags, music boxes, coffee mugs, notecards, wall coverings, night lights, pillows, stationary, Christmas ornaments, paper weights, umbrellas, furniture, tea pots and cups, lamps, note cards, photo albums, throws, figurines, stickers, housing developments, keychains, snow globes, switchplate covers, area rugs, scrapbooks, and novels.

I even have to admit I am a little more than excited that Ford is plannin' to relaunch the Aerostar in 2008 with a special limited editon Thomas Kinkade model. Body and interior colors and finishes will be based on the Painter of Light's work and each van will carry a copy of his signature in chrome!

But coffee and tea? I mean c'mon.

I hate to say it, but it seems to me that Thomas Kinkade is definitely sellin' out.

You wacky guy!

Has he never not sold out? I mean yes he's a "talented" artist and all. I'm personally disappointed that he's not found even more new ways to sell out. But very excited that he's found a way to penetrate (no pun intended) the coffee market! :wink: You go Thomas Kincade!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Apr 29, 2007 1:06 PM

The hell with Kincade, is TIKIFARM selling out?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23896&forum=6&5

The hell with Kincade, is TIKIFARM selling out?

not as much as the Simpsons have sold-out.... :)

CL

I kinda like Spuds Buds. I think we just found the Hooptilau's official mug!

D

Um...call me crazy, but yeah..hasn't this guy been a sell-out the whole time? I submit, that in fact, yes he always was.

He;ll be a sell out as soon as he starts doing tiki stuff!!!

T

The real dirt on Thomas Kincade... Sell out? Or Satan?

Kincade is the devil

Tikisgrl

D

painter of blight.

Painter of trite?

S

painter of shite.

MA

Ive called him "The Painter of Money" for years now. You wanna know if he's selling out??? Now THATS funny!!!!!..................Remy

You know, Woofmutt, I know this was meant as a parody of another thread and an expression of your personal issues with efficient capitalism, but it's hard not to also see it as a personal attack on me and my home decor.

I apologize if Mr. Kinkade's genius excludes him from the low-brow category of kitsch and juvenilia that you prefer, or if brilliant artistic innovations such as hidden love note N's somehow elude you. I don't ask that you appreciate the sublimity of his works on my walls, nor that you share the precious, life-affirming serenity with which they have blessed my life. I only pray that you are never entrapped in the vortex of sin, depravity and goth culture that enslaved me before the redemption in which Kinkade's work played such a critical and central role.

If you don't enjoy the experience of seeing 115 of his paintings, prints, and brushworks on my walls, then you don't have to come in -- you can just stay outside and watch the gentle wisps of smoke from the chimney from outside the noble iron gate and sun-dappled verdant path to my humble door.

P.S. Exoticat loves my Kinkades and I think she knows a little more about art than you!

Monkeyskull: When I posed the question as to whether Mr. Kinkade was sellin' out I knew that some people might take it personally, possibly even thinkin' my post was a jab at them directly...As seems to be the case with yerself. So I would like to point out that of the list of actual Thomas Kinkade items:

Candles, dinnerware, tapestries, screen savers, decorative plates, puzzles, clocks, jewelry, fridge magnets, calendars, tote bags, music boxes, coffee mugs, notecards, wall coverings, night lights, pillows, stationary, Christmas ornaments, paper weights, umbrellas, furniture, tea pots and cups, lamps, note cards, photo albums, throws, figurines, stickers, housing developments, keychains, snow globes, switchplate covers, area rugs, scrapbooks, and novels.

You do not have a Thomas Kinkade designed house nor do you own any Kinkade puzzles. Clearly my comments were not directed at you or yer home, Monkeyshire at Pleasant Meadows.

I suggest yuh light a Love's Lingering Twilight candle and relax.

Ah come on, Kinkade is a great artist, I think most of us agree. I still own a couple pieces, wanna buy them? & at one time owned several early works, you know, before they were printed in 32 different sizes, would you like it on canvas, paper, pig skin, plastic bags, toilet paper or recycled brown lunch bags??? take your pick. Who just caught on? Thomas Kinkade is a whore. I don't send me pm's telling me I'm a hothead :D I only answered a question. :D

P.S. Monkeyskull, I have 3 for sale all classic s/n & a/p's. If your interested let me know. I am ebaying them soon. :)

Kinkade has always been nothing but pure kitsch. But some of us actually like kitsch.

On 2007-04-29 23:33, woofmutt wrote:
You do not have a Thomas Kinkade designed house nor do you own any Kinkade puzzles.

erm, i guess Woofmutt hasnt been invited beneath the dungeon to the special afterparties at Monkeyskull's. for beneath the bondage cages, leather hoods and pagan idolatry of the Voodoo Lounge lies a magnificent Kincaidian Wonderland.

Pages: 1 19 replies