Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Ula Nifo bone necklace pic.

Pages: 1 9 replies

Time to start fresh with a new thread.

Here is what a few hours with the B and D rotary tool yielded using a cone shaped grinding tool and a sand paper cylinder that came with the tool. Much smoother. I couldn't wait to buy my shopping list items so I used what I had. I'm posting to show that I at least improved the piece a bit. I'll buy some more tools before I start the next one. I picked up a small piece of basswood (thanks alohasta.) and retired my "3rd" carving until further notice. I guess I've got my "box" of (1) now. Any tips appreciated. I'm trying to use search first rather than ask any questions.

My 8 year old daughter came in my office wearing a paper tiki necklace. I complimented her on it and she said "I'm wearing this because I don't have a "real one". I asked her if she wanted me to carve her one, "uh huh!" she said. I told her that she could wear one but she'd have to share with her sister or she could opt to wait for me to carve another one. She said "I want my own." Man that kid cracks me up, she was really sweet the whole time and she's so honest. I gave her a coco-joes Moai necklace with green gem eyes and the oval mouth as a placebo. She's pretty happy about that but she told me that it was still mine and she was gonna give it back as soon as I make her one. So I've got three important commisions to do for the 13 yr old, 8 year old and fiance' now. Too bad they don't know I'm going to charge...kidding.

Here are the before rotary pix for comparison.

"

Here are a few "after" pix of the upside down warrior/moai-makau-hei-tiki after using the rotary.

I put 8 ft tiki's kava kava in there so I could show him off and kill 2 birds with one stone.

There is a bit of dialogue i caught while photographing the above pic. Kava kava was saying "You look like hell man, what happened to you?" the Moai replied "Man, I just got my ass chewed by one of Grog's "Bitches". Har har har....

Here they are with the rest of the spoon:

I threw Ku in the last pic. so he's in this thread too. I'm leaving him as is with rough tool marks.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks for stopping by,

S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-30 18:45 ]

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2007-05-02 15:04 ]

Despite all the controversy,I really like the spoon guy! Reminds me of
Sid and Marty Kroft kind of happy and rough around the edges!
Kudos for carving!

I suggest you keep it up. That ain't no dog-chewed chair leg anymore!

You gotta love how forgiving our kids are for our lack of perfection.

Wow you two are quick! I was just editing the post... Thank you's to both of you! Ho-dad, yeah, kids can be really sweet. Thanks much for the kind words. Ditto to LLT!
ST

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 30, 2007 8:01 PM

Thats looking a LOT better mate. The moai has a nice shape (always did) but that clean up really did him wonders. I think hooks look better when they are thin, but a thin hook would look funny on the bottom of the thick section. I like the way you used the available material from the spoon too, that was cool.

Now you got new tools we expect to see more of these little guys! :D

He turned out really nice ST!

Hewey, and M&MBPHT(Mr. and ...),

Thanks! I didn't know if it was much different until I checked the old photos and realized it had smoothed out alot of things I couldn't do with just a knife. I'm a bit happier with it now.

Mahalo,
S T

J

When your teen-age kids want your carvings you know you are on the right track! It is amazing what the simple sandpaper drum on the rotary tool can do and how versatile it is.

JP

JohnnyP,

Yeah I was surprised when the Jap-ani-manga loving offspring said she wanted one. She's a cool kid and has always been down with Tiki though.

On a side note I think that hook martini glass is off da hook (groan). Nifty design!

I suppose I'll throw this Samoan style "ula nifo" necklace I made in here. I used bone hair pipe and tapered bones to make the necklace. The bone was aged with coffee. I used glass pony beads rather than seeds for spacers. I was gonna replace eventually but now I like the blue color with the bone.

ST

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-05-01 19:50 ]

Unga Bunga,

[i]On 2007-05-03 18:32, Unga Bunga wrote:
(great work, don't stop)

Thanks Unga bunga!

I'm trying to let the old thread die so I posted my thanx here.

ST

Pages: 1 9 replies