Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Anyone want to help out on building a tribute to Trader Vic's Beverly Hills site?

Pages: 1 17 replies

TS

This is kind of a kooky idea, but I would request permission of the TC Ohana who have images they wouldn't mind letting me use for a tribute website of Trader Vic's Beverly Hills,hosted on non other than myspace. Before you start to think "oh no, why myspace?"...The two major reasons for using myspace, is its free and I can upload tons of images without having to come out of pocket for hosting. And the second reason is myspace gets viewers, and a friends list of supporters! I would need some possible graphic help as in maybe the tiles used on trader vics beverly hills(brown and black i believe) for use as a tiling background. I need pictures! I found quite a few on google image search, but I don't want to infringe anyones copyrights, or steal their images without proper Acknowledgements. Anyone who helps out with this little project will be added to the credits and thank you section if they should choose to be recognized.Thanks, and if you have any questions, PM me and I'll answer...The link address to the myspace page is Trader Vic's of Beverly Hills

H

On 2007-05-01 11:32, Tom Slick wrote:
... I don't want to infringe anyones copyrights, or steal their images without proper Acknowledgements.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you'll be making money off of the site. Post what you find, if you get a complaint, get and post the proper acknowledgements or apologize and then remove the image.

O

Any images I have you are welcome to use.

Go for it :)

TS

Thanks hak for the encouragement, and thank you ojai for the gesture! I also need some help in research...I looked for it tonight her on TC, because I thought i saw Sven talk about it in a thread somewhere, but alas, I cannot find it 1.5 hours later! I'm trying to recall who did the Murals on the Trader Vics Beverly Hills walls...you know, the ones cast in cement? Also who was responsible for the layout and designed the architecture? I know Barney West did some, if not most of the carvings here, but not sure what else or who else past that....Any ideas or clif notes history?

One more thing is I need to find out why my background image is not filling in the background 100 percent....IF Anyone savy on customizing myspace can give me a jingle(PM) it would be highly appreciated! Thanks all!

O

Great idea Tom. I don't have any images to add but appreciate your work on this. :)

T

Why don't you host the page on a free Blog site, like wordpress or blogspot ? You can host the images at one of the many free photo hosting sites. MySpace is SOOOO SLOOOWWWW when it comes to images, and everything else for that matter.

Either way, I added you as my friend :)

I hate MySpace :(

O

Why don't we take up a collection and get Humu Humu to host it and help build it? The site would be incredible as all of her work is. Just a thought but I agree with Tikiyaki that My Space is slow and a pain. We can direct them to the site from there however.

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-05-02 10:22 ]

YoYo Island ready to link up!

Great idea, TS. Let the Demented Menehunes how how we can help.

SOK

ST

I took a load of architectural photos of the interior and exterior last November. Workers were making repairs and I entered through the kitchen and had run of the place. Don't know how many I've got at this point but can get them together easy enough. Wish I had taken more measurements for scaled drawings.

Swamp

TS

Hello peoples, thanks for the show of support...Unfortunately its not a happy ending for most of us, but at least we can keep a torch lit for the masses who were unable to attend the original B.H. location and show them what a beauty she was....Anyhow to answer a few questions about the tribute site:
Tikiyaki asked:

Why don't you host the page on a free Blog site, like wordpress or blogspot ? You can host the images at one of the many free photo hosting sites. MySpace is SOOOO SLOOOWWWW when it comes to images, and everything else for that matter.

My answer is fairly simple...On blogs, the story is supposed to continue, and unfortunately as we all know, the Trader Vic's that we would be "blogging" would come to an end of story...No more updates. Blogs are really for people who like to post blabs about whatever, and their stories and experiences continue to grow. Trader Vic's story is over, so myspace is perfect since it won't have to be updated, and it wont get outdated because its a chosen history based on the original building it was located in.
Ojaitimo asked:

Why don't we take up a collection and get Humu Humu to host it and help build it?

I don't mind who does the tribute site(even if it is hosted), but I just thought one should be out there, and unlike blogs and hosted webs, myspace allows you to collect "friends" which can be useful for example to define and give an estimate and show of supporters and the impact that Trader Vic's really had...In fact, your idea was great about the redirect to other sites, because that opens up doorways and exposure to other peoples internet design work and opinions about Trader Vic's. I will gladly link up to any other site that posts The original Trader Vic's of B.H. story/ies. I'm not about to volunteer anyone though! hehe :lol:

BTW Tim...or anyone else for that matter, do you or anyone else have some decent photos of the drink vessels and mugs that Trader Vic's used on a regular basis?...Blah, I'm rambling now as its 3am and Im tired...

D

You are welcome to use any of the pictures I uploaded in the "Pics of Vics" thread here on TC.

O

I have a Fogcutter , Coconut mug and glassware photos.

Some nice TV's glassware from our wedding reception, plus a decent Menehune swizzle-stick collection. Jpegs at your disposal, or we can do new set-ups with 'em if you want (say, fully loaded Mai Tais leading in to a montage of legendary celebs, or ?). Lemme know.

SOK

(Too bad it's no longer possible for Libby and I to look forward to any of our anniversary celebrations in Trader Vic's Garden Room. Grrrr.)

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-05-05 19:26 ]

I think it's a great idea, and I wish I could contribute something, but all I have is two swizzle sticks and a couple of nice memories.

I only went to see the place after the imminent closing was announced...that was last year. There were some striking details...for example, some large windows that looked out over a subtly-lit foresty area (I think the plants were separated from the street by a layer of decorative cinder-blocks, also) that blocked the view of traffic outside. Doesn't sound like much, maybe, but while I was eating my gaze would be drawn back to these windows over and over. They seemed to say, "Don't worry, there's no city out there, outside there's nothing but jungle." The arrangement was really beautiful and haunting.

H

That beautiful jungle will most likely become an asphalt jungle soon, thanks to the developers.

That is so awesome!

Pages: 1 17 replies