Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Outdoor bar version 2 progess pics

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

After a great opening season last year, the bar was tore apart and refurbished for the upcoming year. Emphasis was on low maintenance and not having to do this again next April!

Some pics...

Still have to cover roof in thatch and cover bar top in mahogany.
My only regret was not building the roof framing out of cedar or redwood but it was too expensive!

Maybe next year...

[ Edited by: teamtom 2007-05-01 17:01 ]

T

What are you going to do the bar front with?

T

Actually, the front of the base in clad in galvanized corrugated metal, that's finished. The bar top and front of the bar top will be in mahogany. Does the metal front look bad? I was going for a shanty but durable look.

T

If you're going for the Jamaican shantytown look, stay with the galvanized. But it's not tiki. You'll need to go with bamboo or lauhala mat to get the tiki vibe.

T

I did bamboo mat last year and it fell apart in 3 months, any suggestions?

T

I'd try split bamboo over exterior grade plywood, attached to the galvanized. But don't ask me exactly how to do it. I have a hard time making popsicle stick birdhouses. :wink:

T

I have to say, after last year I'm a little leary about using only Tiki products. I had bamboo mat around the base of the bar (rotted apart at the lacing), bamboo posts going from the floor to the roof (split where the frame attached), thatch roof that was woven (also rotted) and the list goes on. Maybe I'm not as accustomed to working with these materials but the wear and tear from a party every Friday and keeping all the stuff outside really wore through the materials quickly. Basement bars are one thing but to survive outside year in and year out, it needs to be tough. Do others have suggestions about tiki items that can survive outside? How are those bars you see premade holding up over time?

[ Edited by: teamtom 2007-05-01 18:51 ]

You coudl make it look rusty and weater beaten, but you are going to have to do some tapa design relief carving on it. Order op some redwood moulding from Bosko and a mask too. Rope, fish nets, and cork float stuff, You can make this work with some creativity, but it is going to take some imagination. Looks very well made!

T

Will you be off and running by the Preakness.... [horse humor]

B
Bincho posted on Wed, May 2, 2007 2:10 PM

Hi all- I am a professional construction manager and can lend some good advice on construction tips if you need them- I have had good success incorporating corrugated metal into the design of my Tiki bar-

You can always "distress" the wood that you used with a small grinder, and you can get a good hardwood look out of your timber using some color/dark stain and then varnishing the wood with MArine Varnish-- this stuff is made to keep out UV and water- Its probaly $40 a gallon.
I also see you used regular pine 2x4 which is probably a bit overkill, but I always like to overbuild anyway. If you are on the East Coast you might as well make it 4 season strong.
You can make a nice detail adding some 1 x 2 ribs and then some small bamboo furring/ or some reed fencing etc to the underside of the roof----
If you are going to add a Mahoghany deck to the bar it may be pricy- but there are other renewable tropical hardwoods that will get you the same look/feel for a lot cheaper and more environmentally friendly as well--ask a local lumber yard for decking options.

I suggest you use stainless steel screws for fastening- stronger than nails and no rusting over time...

T

Got some more work done today, finished the mahogany top and base board. Thatch should be here Tuesday for the final covering, then I can start decorating.
Some Pics...

[ Edited by: teamtom 2007-05-05 17:07 ]

Way too shiny - think petina!! Other than that it is very nice.

T

I am hoping it will weather and I'll keep peeing on it to speed it along!

ST

I like the metal on the bottom. You can get something that rusts it immediately to get that aged effect. I think it is mentioned in one of the other bar build threads (Queen K's maybe).

H
Heath posted on Sun, May 6, 2007 5:59 PM

The only thing I would do would be to raise the baseboard about an inch.
That way you will get more air circulation and less of a water trap between the corrugated metal and the baseboard.

I like the corrugated metal, reminds me of one of my neighbors' house in Palolo.
Except, it looks like your bar is better built!

Rather than acid rusting it, one option is to just do a glaze of brown paint mixed with clear matte paint streaked on over the shiny galvanized metal to create a rusted look.

Pages: 1 15 replies