Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Introducing Basement's Bora Boiler! (a few teaser pics) from South Sea Arts!

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER FROM GECKO'Z SOUTH SEA ARTS JUNE 14th ONLINE FROM BK AND AT HUKILAU 2007! The second mug design by me ever, the first in four years, and the first in an exclusive artist relationship with Gecko'z South Sea Arts! It is a very unique double-chamber "built-for-two" design, and features a handy-dandy flaming well between the two figures for your favorite 151! It will also feature the delicious "Basement's Bora Boiler" corresponding drink recipe, included with every mug! This mug also has a very unique story, as it began it's life as one my carved bone pendants! South Sea Arts was to produce three pendants and two mugs intially as part of the Basement Kahuna artist series, one of which was based on an ancient Marquesan fan handle image, the third pendant shipped to Gecko for production. Always with a keen eye for the different and a daring to produce the most highly unusual, vivid, traditional-to-Polynesia and highly difficult mug designs, the pendant immediately caught Gecko's attention and a phone call was placed back to me on the mainland. The conversation went something like this: Gecko: "Braddah, dat kine Marquesan pendant needs to be a mug!" Basement Kahuna: "You're crazy, man, but I like it! I'll have you drawings by tomorrow!" Gecko: "Den I'll have you a 3-D prototype in a week!" A mug is born!

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2007-05-04 06:46 ]

OMG...must have that now!!!! That is awesome. :)

B

BK,

This is a most amazing mug!

I have collected many things in my life….never mugs. This mug could change all that for me. I will be one of many standing in line for this one.

I’ve been spending some time going through your caving thread lately…I must say, I’m blow away…the detail and the subject matter in your work is most impressive.

I’m a fan.

H

How original, I love it.

S
Swanky posted on Fri, May 4, 2007 5:51 AM

You know, I looked at it and I thought "I've seen that" and then I looked and, no, I haven't. That's true spirit. It's absolutely old school, and absolutely new. Perfect. Like you copied it from an piece found in a museum vault. But it's all BK.

My wife can use her own mug. I'm gonna think of that other side as my reserve tank for those long-range drinking missions. Great design!

Thanks, folks...I'm a proud papa! I forgot to mention a biggie-the edition is 300 on these, with 50 hand painted artist proofs for the connoissuer!

C

Great idea BK and Gecko....one could either share a drink OR drink twice as
much and still call it one drink...I like the latter idea better. Beautiful.

very clever.....i like it. i can have 2 separte drinks in one mug.....plus i like the little pocket inbetween them where i can place some dry ice.

BK, get me on that list please. I love it!

S
Swanky posted on Fri, May 4, 2007 7:39 AM

Yep, you just pour two drinks and turn it around for round two. The mug is sort of its own handle too.

Drink binoculars! Really beautiful work there, Basement Kahuna. Looking forward to the pre-order madness.

F

BK, next ime I'm in Augusta visiting my folks I'm taking a detour to stop by your place and grovel at you feet for a teaspoon of your artistic MoJo. I only wish we could make it to the Hukilau this year so I could beg sooner and get one of those sweet, sweet mugs. The ideas that keep coming out of your head amaze me.

Hey, frost...actually I'm in Athens now (a bit more culturally ept and capable town than Augusta!) so we'd love to have anybody here that wants visit. Head East!

S
squid posted on Fri, May 4, 2007 11:05 AM

It's a beauty, BK. Kudos to you and the Geckster!

That is one sweet mug, BK. I can't wait to ad it to my collection.

D

That mug kicks two asses!

Just when you thought you seen just about all the mug variations done to death!...Shazaam! As if by magic something truly original comes along!! You must be commended, I know from this thread that you already have been, on your ingenuity and imagination on this little fellow(s). Unique to say the least! Hand painted limited edition? Oh you big tease you! This mug is up there with the best! Don't ya just hate some people?...Why didn't any of the rest of us think of this one? No need to answer TCers! I know why I didn't think of it...I ain't that clever!!! By far.

Thanks for adding some real ZEST to the current tiki mug ensemble!! Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai! No make that TWO...In the same mug...WAHOOOOO!! - VERY Happy Hour!!!).

Congrats BK!

If yer takin' a head count sign me up!

Where are the "artist proofs" going to be available?

Here, ebay or Gecko's store?

And when?

I would like an ARTIST PROOF ....if I can afford it....but I would be more than happy to even score a regular version! :wink:

clap!

Clap!

CLAP! clap!

CLAP! clap! CLAP! clap!

clap! CLAP! clap! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp... :D

On 2007-05-04 12:15, TravelingJones wrote:
clap!

Clap!

CLAP! clap!

CLAP! clap! CLAP! clap!

clap! CLAP! clap! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp... :D

BLOODY HELL JONESY! You'd better go see a doctor about that, before we all catch it!!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai and penicillin!!

Just had a pow-wow with Gecko...I'll start taking a list now, great interest in this mug, big mahaloz from a grateful Kahuna!! I've set up an e-mail inbox especially for the mug here: [email protected] . Just write me there and specify your name, adress, telephone number, and number of mugs you would like reserved. If you already PM'ed me here I ask that you write me at the above adress and enter your info just so my encyclopedic mind can stay abreast!! We can begin accepting payment on June the 14th, by which time you can send payment to South Sea Arts. We still don't have a set price, but it will be somewhere in keeping with a South Sea Arts regular edition. Aloha!

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2007-05-04 21:07 ]

J

Nevermind. Thanks, BK!

[ Edited by: jentiki 2007-05-04 21:24 ]

T

BK,

Truly unique. Well done.

EEps...got the addy fixed

T

Was the addy not working before?

B

Sweet Stuff BK, and it's about Time!

Good lawd! I checked the hotmail addy for reserving mugs just now and I have to thank you all...incredible response! Mahalo and Aloha!

I approve also, and I would order one, if I would not be so broke right now. I have put a restraining order on my mug buying until I have sold a bunch myself. :) :(

On 2007-05-05 14:00, bigbrotiki wrote:
I approve also, and I would order one, if I would not be so broke right now. I have put a restraining order on my mug buying until I have sold a bunch myself. :) :(

just add that mug to your list...right after the shrunken head lamp...!!

On 2007-05-04 07:56, theded1 wrote:
Drink binoculars! Really beautiful work there, Basement Kahuna. Looking forward to the pre-order madness.

rum goggles!!

On 2007-05-05 14:10, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
just add that mug to your list...right after the shrunken head lamp...!!

Yeah, right you are....AND the Kahiki velvet painting...AND the...

I am afraid that I just can't have it all. Would if I could. Already have a lot...but not all.

wow, i need this in my collection...b.k./gecko=awsome

Aww, c'mon, Sven...you know they call me "the working man's friend"... :wink:

HOK

Awsome BK, now theres a double fisted drink!! Put me on the list....looks like you could put a mini cylume/glow stick in the dry-ice holder for that eerie exotic glow. :) Freddie (HOKU)

Will do, Fred...if you can, do send me your adress to the above hotmail mailbox to make sure all is kept track of carefully. Glad you like the mug, big mahaloz to you and everybody!

G
GECKO posted on Tue, May 8, 2007 5:53 PM

T'anks fo all da props and da kudos and da emails peopo!!! I missed ya planty!!! You guys have supported South Seas fo a while and I'm truly "Mahalofull!!" eh dats wun word you know. I gotta get back and visit mo'offen. It's just hard wen you da hir club president, da janitor, da ceramic maker, da carver, da dish wahsha, etc.... but always nice to take wun break and have a few drinks with da peopo from tc at my favorite place, La Mariana to talk story and catch up on wats going on here and get away from all da workload. So keep da emails comming wen you visit as dat's my only vacation time from work. I will gladly come talk story and grind on some ahi poke wit cha! Just seen Tiki Tony last month fo da first time as well as a drift founda "braddah Marcus" and their lovely vahines. It was nice to c-ya guys.

seriously, t'anks fo supporting BK's awesome new design! it was a honor to be a part of his new piece. I love your work BK and it is a privlage fo me fo do dis fo ya. T'anks cuz!

shoootz braddahz and sistahz of TC, I hope to c'ya at a show really soon on da mainland, I truly miss ya, to many names to type down wit a chunk out of my nail, all my old school tc braddahz and sistahs, HO, I miss talking story wit ya guys planty!

I tried to leave some pics of da new tiki I wen carved, hope you can see'um.
HO, also wen took wun nice chunk out of my finga nail! dat's what happens wen you try fo do 10 t'ings at one time.

auuuriiite...back to work, miss ya all, shaka!
Gek

P

OUCH! Great work as always GECKO!! I'm gonna come see you one day! I just gotsta! - that's all one word.

Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai!).

That's a Purple Tiki right there, Gecko. Quaaaaliiiittttyyy! I'll have the mug at Hukilau for the official pre-sale date. And once again I have to thank you all for pre-booking on the hotmail list. Again, if you want a mug, e-mail here to be on the list, specify how many mugs, and include all of your contact info: [email protected] . Looks like we're on the cusp of 1/3 of the regular mugs and 1/4 of the proofs reserved ALREADY, in just 6 days, on this tiny blurb alone! This is a big, complicated mug and very costly to produce...that said we set the price at an in-between 45.00. 300 of these, with 20 artist proofs, and then bye-bye to the molds! No price yet on the proofs, but hopefully soon once we've laid eyes on 'em!

Gecko,
Once again you make another fantastic 'mug'. Simply amazing. I'm gonna get one of those honeys.

And yet again the master carves another sensational tiki (not to mention your nail).

Good to hear you're still the busy dude, but making time to have a few drinks at the beautiful La Mariana.

Aloha

(*My personal say-from the inside!)I have to give Gecko credit...the man is absolutely superb in his business treatment of his artists, the singularity of mug that he puts out, and his ability to think simultaneously traditionally AND outside of the box. Gecko's product line could be time-machined back to 1962 and would drop perfectly into any classic Polynesian restaurant's regular lineup, and yet breaks new ground at every turn while keeping the "hokie" elements out and the classic, golden age tiki style in! I was stoked and also knew I'd better oil up the mental gearbox when he made me the offer for a mug deal... This is the first mug of two in the lineup so far. The second will be a 50/50 design collaboration between me and Gecko. Thanks for the amazing amount of reserves, folks! I'm excited!

That mug is a must, put me on the list!

We have a book idea going forward now which will include the signature recipes for this mug and all of the upcoming mugs, which would basically be an included 10-page fold called "Secret Sauce-Drink Recipes and Mixology Tips From The Hut Of Basement Kahuna". This would include the biggies like the Concubine, the Pago Nogo, and Kahuna's Black Magic, as well as some recipes that haven't appeared since the days of that unmentionable bar or the Kon Tiki Paradise Room, along with some trade secrets that have kept my mixology rep looking good for friends and customers!

I tried connecting to your e-mail but failed. I definitely want one! Can I PM my info to you?
Thanks!

i definately want one if your compiling a list!

Bruddah Gecko, so good to hear from you! You've been away for so long, though the pictures and the words make up for it.
Your work was incredible back in da day... this tiki is that and so much more!

Now you with BK...... unstopable! Keep up the good works, and stop in once in a while to talk story!

BK, congrats!

Looking forward to chopping with ya this weekend!

Great! want both editions

I've been away in Illinois but I'll get the list updated tomorrow and get everyone notified that I recieved their letters. Thanks, folks for an incredible response so early!

Pages: 1 2 56 replies