Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Help King Kuku on the Lemoyne Lanai

Pages: 1 30 replies

Hey! Calling all Tiki Centralites that would love to go down in TIKI History as being one who assisted in bringing Tiki back to residential Living!

Next Saturday, January 25, Me and Big Al are planning to go to King KuKu's and help him build/rip apart something (not necessarily in that order).

Afterwards we may tip a couple at Tiki Ti or Bigfoot Lodge (Ku only know!)

If you're interested, and you are sober (at that time that is) please post so we can decide what/how many projects to complete.

I can help out. What kinds of projects are on the list?

PolyPop,

As a member of the Secret Tiki Society (STS), you're already expected to help.

Everyone Else: I'll post King KuKu's address and meeting time towards the end of this week.

Just bring yourselves and some sort of tool (?)

This could possibly be the feel-good movie of the Year - "One man, in an attempt to recreate the Tiki Suburbia of yesterday, hocks his life away in order to finance the Lamoyne Lanai. Watch his triumphs and disasters, as he builds his dreams"

'A thing of Tiki is a joy forever'

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-01-18 19:29 ]

I just came back from the LeMoyne Lanai. Here are some of things I noticed:

Kuke's biggest issue is he's probably gonna need some help peeling nasty Sheet Linoleum glued to the hardwood wood floor - if anyone has heat guns or scrapers or something that will help that along? In addition, he's gotta get a bunch of staples and nailed tack strips out of the same floor so the refinisher can get in there and do his job on Tuesday. For anyone who's into tile work - the bathroom sheet linoleum needs removal, and I suggested a coating of "floor level-er" so new tile can go down. Then there's a big cypress bush in front he'll need to clear out to make room for the banana palms we're donating.
He'll also need lots of help with basic sanding and painting: walls, ceilings, bathrooms kitchen cabinets. Step stools for this might help. If anyone is good washing down of walls with TSP - this would help out on the painting front.
Hope that gives you a rough idea.

Also - electrical stuff... if anyone is handy with such and promises not to get electrocuted, there are many misc. ceiling fixtures missing their fixtures - i.e. wires hanging from the ceiling. These would be really helpful so that Kuke (and friends) could work into the evening and actually see what he is doing :)
And there are some single vintage plugs (receptacles) that will need to be changed out to standard modern-day double plugs.
(gotta plug those lava lights in someplace you know)

I'll be there Saturday to offer my skills as electrical handyman.... and I promise not to get electrocuted!

:tiki:

Ok Denny, we are gonna have to keep them kids out of your yard. What kind of kid takes a crap in the front yard? Doesn't he know you are supposed to do that in the back?I am doing everything I can to finish my orders so I can do some welding and stuff on Saturday.

I'm stuck on the other coast, but I'd be glad to donate a bit of decor for the halls or courtyard (maybe a nice pair of big, impressive Sali or Akatara clubs...or a vintage-looking tiki if I could get some help with the freight shipping costs). I love a dreamer and his dream. The world needs many more Tiki apartments. Maybe Bamboo will donate about 40 sheets of cabana matting and Moso pole? (just kidding...I know that stuff ain't free!) :)

Dear Tiki Central helpers:

The LeMoyne Lanai is located at 1415 LeMoyne in Echo Park. It is just off the 101 freeway. Fer instance, if you are coming up the 110 freeway, merge onto US-101 N toward Hollywood. Take the ECHO PARK AVE/BELLEVUE AVE exit toward GLENDALE BLVD. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto ECHO PARK AVE. Turn LEFT onto W SUNSET BLVD. Turn RIGHT onto LEMOYNE ST.

We start at 10:00 am, and I reckon we go until the Tiki Ti opens (it is just 3 miles or so down Sunset Blvd.). The King's phone number is 213 500-KING.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-01-24 17:17 ]

Denny is having another work party this weekend (2/22) at the Lanai. All interested, lovely volunteers please check in here or send me one of those little ole private email things. There are already some tenants in the Lanai! Their surroundings are improving by the day, due in large part to the helpfulness of kind-hearted tiki people. I don't know if his mom is going to make pancakes this time. I'll have to get back to you on that...

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-02-20 17:44 ]

Tina,
Wish I could make it this weekend but I already have plans lined up. Might there be a work party next weekend? I can make it then.

BTW - Glad to hear the Lemoyne Lanai's got tenants!!! That's great news!

I've got family coming in this weekend, so March 1st is better for me too. Besides, are you and King wanting to spend all day Saturday cleaning and fixing the place, then go to the Sugarlight at Hale Hawaii AND THEN to the Purple Orchid at 11 p.m.? That would be one looooooooooooooong day!

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

SugarCaddyDaddy

King will be in the UK through next weekend; he leaves on Sunday. He is performing at a Rockabilly festival http://www.rockabillyrave.co.uk/. We will be Kingless March 1st!

M

I'd love to help if I was in the southland, but in the meantime: Can we see some pix of the place and how the progress is going? I'm sure that the whole thing is being documented, and I'd love to get a peek.

-martin

Documented? Ummm......I don't think anyone thought of that. Tina?

You know Denny is always armed with that camera. He's a much worse tape-aholic than I am...

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-02-21 17:59 ]

Ok, so the King will be in absentia on the weekend that I am available. However, 10 years of construction/destruction I will leave at your disposal. I bet it would be a nice surprise for the king to return to the US to see progress in his absence. I can not work in the upcoming weekend, but will gladly work on the 1st weekend of March. You can tell me what to do: carve tikis, demolish walls, frame roofs, layout footings, site transits, hahahahaha I crack myself up with constuction bs*. Power tools are the ambrosia of my life! Let me know.:)

King & Floratina~
Please let us know well in advance what date(s) you are looking for more help on the Lanai. Also, give us an idea specifically as to what areas of the place need work, ok? We're here, just keep us informed (and maybe some pictures too?)

King Kuke, I too, am definitely still available to help. Just post something in advance so I can put on my calendar. BTW- What kind of work is left?

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-12 10:46 ]

T

Poly Pop

Cool little picture as a sig.

Trustar

How does next Saturday, March 22nd sound? King says this is good and looks forward to seeing you all (that includes you, Tikifille!). That gives us all at least a week to prepare. The worklist is being compiled. You will probably be pleasantly surprised at the improvements that have been made since the last Lanai workfab. You guys are the best!

Sure. As long as we make it to the Tiki Ti after, just like last time.

So is this still on for Saturday? What time are we meeting?

Yes, it's still on. King says 10:00.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-03-19 00:19 ]

CA

i will be in SF for an APE gig... keep me posted when this post hits again.

FLORATINA & KING!!

Time 10 am.
What tools are needed that you don't already have?
What needs to be done on the inside?
What needs to be done on the outside?
Do the current tennants know crazy TC'er's are coming?

Details! Details please!

I am almost sure that I can be there. King has my phone number.

WorkerBeeCaddyDaddy

Yeah, I think I'm a maybe too.

The downstairs 2-bedroom is all prepped and the main task will be to get it painted. Looks like the upstairs 2-bedroom is spoken for, btw.

Anyway, King says that, besides the painting:

Pedestal sink install in bathroom

Sink faucet install

uh, something about a water heater

Moulding replacement around some door jams

Anybody know how to install tile? There is some water seal stuff he needs to put over the tile and grout, too.

There ya go.

P.S. No pancakes as Mother Moynahan has a previous engagement that day.

On 2003-03-21 00:29, floratina wrote:
No pancakes as Mother Moynahan has a previous engagement that day.

No pancakes? Uhh..cough cough, I'm suddenly not feeling well. I might not be able to make it....

Just Kidding.

Painting, sink repair and molding installation? Piece of cake! I'll see you all on Saturday.

BTW - Are we still going to the Tiki Ti after? I'll bring a change of clothing for that "not so fresh" feeling after our workday.

Cool! PolyPop is bringing cake!

Pancakes or cake, I am there!

:tiki:

I'm in for sure, just will be there later due to tiki stuff delivery.

Pages: 1 30 replies