Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Inspired by these forums to build my first outdoor bar

Pages: 1 18 replies

M
mswep posted on Mon, May 7, 2007 11:35 AM

After seeing so many wonderful projects through out this site, I told myself I could make something. My back yard has an in-ground pool then a separated garage with an overhang. This area was not being used and this is where I decided to put my new bar.

The pics I have added below go from initial construction – thru staining – to grouting the tile. I still have to polish off the tile and seal it and add some rope to be complete. But I wanted to thank you guys for all the wonder posts on this site.

First Cuts

Frame completed

Panels added

Stain and protective coating started

Back side

Thatch Added and Bar top completed

Steps left are to buff off the tile and then apply protective coating...

M
Murph posted on Mon, May 7, 2007 11:50 AM

Cool.
Love the tile work.

great gecko! Isn't fun to be inspired? TC just oozes creativity, right through the cable....

ST

Wow, that's really sweet. Love the tile job! And based upon the carpentry I would say that might be the only thing standing after a nuclear attack.

T

Nice work, post a picture when you buff the tile, that's a nice mosaic.

M
mswep posted on Mon, May 7, 2007 4:56 PM

And based upon the carpentry I would say that might be the only thing standing after a nuclear attack

I should also mention the only wood I have ever cut was firewood. That is what has been so great about this project. It has been a learning experience for sure.

When my wife and I began to put the grout on we thought we had messed it up. Luckily we were able to brush off the extra 5 pounds :) .

I just finished round one of buffing and I will do it again tomorrow night and grab some new images to post.

Oh...what would you guys seal this with? I have some of that pour on '50 coats poly' stuff... but I really did not want to use it for fear of messing up. Is there something else I can just spray on for several coats?

Thanks for all the kind words.

[ Edited by: mswep 2007-05-07 17:01 ]

M

That's one helluva first try! Excellent!

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 7, 2007 7:44 PM

Gorgeous work - it's a credit to you!

T

Very nice tile work. I am very fond of mosaics myself. I've done an ocean scene and a large tiki fireplace scene in stained glass mosaics. Good work, it looks like you are addicted now. Keep going...

M
McTiki posted on Tue, May 8, 2007 3:11 AM

Very nice bar! Reminds me of somewhere Iv'e been....

Curious now what goes overhead...

Mahalo

McTiki

Looking good....got tiki? :tiki:

B
Bincho posted on Tue, May 8, 2007 8:00 AM

I like the solid, overbuilt construction!

You may want to add some metal reinforcing clips and lag bolts underneath to keep the weather & use from loosening it up as the wood dries out.

Mrs Hoptiki here,

Nice job, and love your tile work.

Nice work! Way to be inspired, and then inspire back.

Thats really cool, re-inspired me to finish the one I was making. Koi mosaic in glass, with a black grout for contrast.

I'm going to put a replaceable sheet of acrylic over it to protect it and provide a really flat area for setting things on. Depending on how flat you were able to get your grout lines and tiles, you might go that rout for the top. Wouldn't really need to coat it in anything that way, either.

R
Ripper posted on Wed, May 9, 2007 3:35 PM

I like that ! I am going to have to get off my butt and do something like that this summer. I am thinking a waterfall or something like that.

M
mswep posted on Thu, May 10, 2007 6:25 AM

Quick update...finished the coating last night and I took a picture this morning...

Click on the image to see larger version...

M

Very nice! Can't wait to see the rest.

Mahalo

McTiki

C

Great out door bar, love the tiles!

Pages: 1 18 replies