Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Live Bamboo plants? Where can one purchase?

Pages: 1 30 replies

TS

I searched the database and couldn't find a related topic, so here it is...I've been looking to acquire some live Bamboo locally(SoCal), so does anyone know of any place to get a few young stalks? I want to make a lush divider wall to keep my neighbors remodeled 2 story house from staring into my backyard! Im looking for the blue type bamboo that has the flowing leaves and grows up to 40 feet with the base becoming around 4 inches in diameter...It is supposed to be the strongest, most weather versatile and low maintenance...
Here are a couple of other species I'm interested in:

Moso – fully hardy giant bamboo "Phyllostachys pubescens"
Moso - a winter hardy giant bamboo. In spring, when new culms shoot, you can see how fast the bamboo will grow, adult plants may grow around 18 inches a day. Phyllostachys pubescens, better known as "Moso" bamboo, originated in China (region Hainan) will be 50 - 92 feet tall with culms about 3 - 5 inches thick. Young culms, which are of blue-green color, look as though they were covered with white powder. Leaves hang down like a waterfall. "Moso" can remain healthy even at temperatures as low as -20 degrees Centigrade. Young shoots are edible. In Japan this bamboo is called "noble bamboo".

Arundinaria gigantea
The bamboo/cane plant will grow 15-20+ft with a diameter of approximatley 2.5in. It is a running type of bamboo that can can withstand temperatures ranging from -10 to 105 degrees, so they will grow in just about all U.S. planting zones. They can be planted in all varietys of soils, in full sun, partial sun or full shade! They adapt very well & very quickly! What dictates there height is how well they are cared for, they will grow on there own, but have a more beautiful deep green color if keept well watered.

Blue Bamboo - Weavers bamboo "Bambusa textilis"
Bambusa textilis is the largest cold-tolerant clumping bamboo and it also can withstand hot dry winds. The culms are blue in the shooting time (may/september). It grows well in sun or partial shade. Weaver's bamboo makes an excellent screen but they get big with time.
minimum temperature: 13 F
maximum height: 40 feet
maximum diameter: 2 inches

Dendrocalamus giganteus
The biggest bamboo in the world - giant bamboo
As shown by its name, this is the biggest bamboo in the world – max. height around 100 feet. The culms 4"-6" inches thick are used for construction and many kinds of bamboo products. Also, it is widely cultivated as ornamental plantations and erosion control. D. giganteus is hardy until 30F.

Thorny giant bamboo "Bambusa arundinacea"
This giant bamboo reaches a height of 80-100 feet, when fully grown, the main stems (culms) bearing a profusion of very leafy branches. The culms can shoot up 12 inches or more in a day. A substance called "Bamboo Milk" can be obtained from the culms which is said to be both a stimulant and an aphrodisiac.

With over 1,000 species of bamboo, these are the most common and best fit for screening in most enviroments. Any help on where to locate live plants would be highly appreciated!
Thanks!

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2007-05-08 00:55 ]

Bamboo Headquarters might be a good place to start. They have a section called "Hedging and Screening" that is specific for blocking neighbors. :)

J

Try these guys. I've ordered bamboo and other plants from them before. The plants come well packed and are delivered quickly.

http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=BAMB

J

The dreaded double post.

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2007-05-08 06:24 ]

H

There is a guy in Vista who deals with a lot of rare bamboo plants, I will get more info for you later today, unless someone else has it, I know it is by appointment only.. I have purchased all my bamboo plants from local nurseries and had success with all of them. I am not so specific as you are but the golden bamboo (I think that what it is called)grows pretty tall in a short time. Unless there is a lot of info here for you I will post some later. Need to go to work.

American Bamboo Society . com ?

S
Swanky posted on Tue, May 8, 2007 7:11 AM

You obviously have done a lot of research already. I just transplanted some from a friend's yard and learned a lesson too late. Mine will be fine, but right now, I may lose all the leaves.

Keep the roots wet. When you dig it up or whatever, get moisture on the roots and keep them moist all the way to putting it in the ground.

I got two clumps that were about 12 feet and one about 15 feet. It was an interesting trick to drive that anywhere! But the stuff I really wanted was 3 inches in diameter and over 20 feet tall! No way to get that in the Pathfinder and drive it across town! I just hope what I have survives and spreads right and gets that big so I can begin to harvest it.

The Jungle
817 Washington Blvd. Culver City, CA 90232

http://www.thejungle.biz

Also, you need to determine whether running or clumping bamboo would be better.

A

I was just at Walter Anderson Nursery in San Diego and they had a good variety of bamboo plants to purchase. But that may be a bit far south for you.

http://www.walterandersen.com/

And don't forget that rhizome barrier, especially since you're considering big runners!

:wink:

S

On 2007-05-08 11:53, Haole'akamai wrote:
And don't forget that rhizome barrier, especially since you're considering big runners!

I read about those and the instructions said something like:

You'll need a 30 inch barrier, other wise the runners will hit the barrier and turn and go under them. Start by digging a 30 inch deep trench....

I thought that was a lot of work. Especially since the runners on this stuff was just under the surface. I put up barriers and it just goes deeper! So, instead I plan to take a shovel and dig straight down all the way around annually. Any runners, I just chop them. Let them try and chop them off.

The American Bamboo Society has a source list. Unfortunately, it's not the easiest to sift through. They also have Sources listed by state.

If you're ready to buy, travel a little and check out "The World's Greatest Bamboo Sale."

[ Edited by: UtopianDreem 2007-05-08 12:19 ]

H

Try this.
http://www.abssocal.org/services.html
the guys name is Bob di Mattia, he is the last one on the list.

On 2007-05-08 11:59, Swanky wrote:

You'll need a 30 inch barrier, other wise the runners will hit the barrier and turn and go under them. Start by digging a 30 inch deep trench....

I thought that was a lot of work. Especially since the runners on this stuff was just under the surface. I put up barriers and it just goes deeper! So, instead I plan to take a shovel and dig straight down all the way around annually. Any runners, I just chop them. Let them try and chop them off.

You're DOOMED!

It will be never ending!!!

Make sure you get every root fiber, or............

When using the barrier, make sure it is 4-5" above ground too!

yeah, and then there's bamboo that can run a mile underground before popping its head up...

On 2007-05-08 21:38, Haole'akamai wrote:
yeah, and then there's bamboo that can run a mile underground before popping its head up...

True!

B
Bincho posted on Wed, May 9, 2007 8:46 AM

Here is an awesome resource for a comprehensive collection of species--

http://www.bamboosourcery.com/

Clumping, Running, Lumber species all in one place.

These guys rock!! We bought our Shiroshima and Vivax from them. Here's a pic of second year growth (from 3ft tall parent)of Vivax.

M

Also - when installing barrier - make sure you get the thicker 60 mil. (not the 40 or thinner used for spreading perrenials). The thinner stuff will eventually break when the Bamboo reaches it's capacity in the space you have it contained in and then you have a completely different problem to deal with. I have seen it first hand - it isn't pretty! Also - when buying bamboo - think two or three years down the road - whats it going to look like? It looks good now - right height, areas full - two years from now your gonna be screwed when it starts to spread. Also - common Bamboo barrier is 30" deep - 28 inches in the ground and 2" above. Use a stainless steel clamp set to secure the two ends and use a "butt joint" fold the ends in and clamp there. Do not overlap the two - if you just overlap them the Bamboo will get in between the two ends and push it's way out of the barrier and run like crazy.

If your gonna do the hunt and pack method of containment - do as Ben said - get every little piece of Rhizone out or it will continue to grow. Just cutting it won't do. Find the end of the Rhizone - trace it back to the main plant and cut it there. Pull it out and wahlah! It's real fun on larger size bamboo like Dulcis or Vivax to trace the runners.

Good size clumping bamboo with decent size canes are Chesquea (SP) Gigantea - 25' with up to 2" canes and a new Chinese variety Bolinda Boriana - 20 to 30' with 2" canes.

Can't tell I work in a Bamboo nursery huh?

[ Edited by: Maori_man 2007-05-09 09:59 ]

On 2007-05-08 19:19, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2007-05-08 11:59, Swanky wrote:

You're DOOMED!

It will be never ending!!!

Make sure you get every root fiber, or............

When using the barrier, make sure it is 4-5" above ground too!

Ben, what about clumping bamboo?

Ben, what about clumping bamboo?

I don't know why I even bother to post..........

From my post yesterday right above yours FF :

"Good size clumping bamboo with decent size canes are Chesquea (SP) Gigantea - 25' with up to 2" canes and a new Chinese variety Bolinda Boriana - 20 to 30' with 2" canes."

I think he meant, "Does clumping bamboo need a rhizome barrier/containment?"

I'm under the impression it still does (need a barrier), since it'll keep expanding, and that new shoot can extend a bit out in any direction from the main clump, several feet depending on the species.

TS

When you guys talk about barriers....Are they some sort of plastic, or are they metal troughs burried below the surface? I was just going to plant the stuff along my backwall and call it a day!

It's plastic. Here's what we used:

http://www.bamboosourcery.com/products.cfm?id=22&row=4

I don't know a whole lot bout living Boo.

Me know more what to do with dead Boo! ( tiki tiki!!)

But, there are a few thangs I do know.

Once it spreads, Clumping or Running,

You're DOOMED!!!! ( I'd say Fucked, but DOOMED is much more polite!)

Off to Wyoming for a new tiki bar build out!

Has to do with Cattle and Tiki!

L8!

When I was checking to see if http://www.drbamboo.com or http://www.doctorbamboo.com was already taken, I discovered it was...by these guys:

http://www.tropicalbamboo.com/

I'm still not entirely sure why they need to have the other domain names, but maybe someday one of 'em will become available...

http://www.drbamboo.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: Dr. Bamboo 2007-05-11 14:35 ]

They're idiots.

Sorry - They seem to be a little naive about bamboo. To put yourself out there as bamboo experts and then give planting directions that are the same as for roses is idiotic.

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2007-05-12 23:13 ]

Okay, I did a search for screening bamboo on TC and this thread came up.
Since some of ya'll have planted bambo already and seem to have done some of the leg-work.

My humble questions is....What in you're opinion was the best bamboo for screening/privacy and the fastest growing for the Southern California area.

I'm looking for a barrier/screening/privacy bamboo, that will grow thick, tall (at least 15 feet) and fast!

I'll keep looking up websites and continue on my quest for the right bamboo type, but your experience and input is appreciated!

Mahalo!

Cheeky!

(Hey TS!)

Bamboo Headquarters (mentioned earlier by VRN) at http://www.bambooheadquarters.com has a very informative site. And their staff answers the phone. And offers good advice, not just about species, but about necessary planter sizes per species. Almost ready to buy from them...

I'm looking into this too, so I'll be checking out some of the other links posted here (mahalo!). Apparently all the gleeful warnings are true. Go for the thickest barrier you can find, make sure you go deep enough and leave a 5" lip above ground (you can decorate that w/trim). Clumping or running, you want to contain it.

I can personally attest that an extremely efficient (and attractive) species that will grow like grass and provide a very effective privacy screen is called "Old Hamii" (spellings vary, but it's a phonetic variation of "Oldham". A neighbor a couple blocks away planted it when a three-story apartment building went up behind her back yard about two years ago, and the building is amost totally obscured now... Thick, green, robust, and two-a-half-stories tall (and still growing). Gets pretty bushy, though, so plan on about a 4-5 foot thickness from the property edge when it really takes off.

All that, and some of it's edible. Oooo.

Cheers out,
SOK

Pages: 1 30 replies