Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Kon Tiki Birthday Cake

Pages: 1 6 replies

For Tiki A. Moaikingbird's birthday yesterday I made a cake with a completely accurate scale model of Thor Heyerdahl's Kon Tiki raft.

You can do the same - here's how:

Ingredients:

1 cake, iced (I made a chocolate cake with mocha buttercream and hazelnuts)

2 boxes Berry Blue Jello

2 boxes wafer sticks

1 bag Norwegian seafarers from the dollar store

1 bag aquatic creatures (mostly sharks), also a dollar store purchase

You will also need:

1 bamboo skewer
1 sheet parchment or other fancy paper
Icing "cement" (icing sugar mixed with a small amount of water to form a thick paste for gluing stuff together)

1. Make the Berry Blue Jello as directed on the package using half the amount of water. When completely set, cut into cubes.

2. Make the raft: Lay out 10 to 12 wafer stick "logs" next to each other on a flat surface. To hold the raft together, use 3 more wafer sticks as cross-pieces; pipe or spread icing sugar cement along their lengths, turn them over and space them evenly across the assembled wafer logs. Let the icing harden completely before turning the raft over. Make the sail by cutting a piece of parchment paper to the desired dimensions. Draw, paint or trace the Kon Tiki logo on the sail. Using the point of the bamboo skewer, poke holes near the top and bottom of the sail and thread the sail on the skewer, letting it bow out. Use a dollop of "cement" to glue the base of the skewer mast to the raft. Let dry completely. Glue Norwegian sailors to the raft using icing cement or buttercream left over from making the cake.

3. Assemble the cake: arrange the cubes of Jello on top to simulate ocean waves. Place raft on top of Jello waves. Liberally sprinkle with sharks and other marine animals.

VoilĂ :

More photos here.

T

That's amazing Sweet Daddy! Looks to good to eat and yet? One should never let a great cake go to waste! Thanks for sharing!

Tikisgrl

D

did you save me a piece? did you make enough for the whole internet?

beautiful and tasty! i think you should submit your cake to http://www.cakecentral.com

btw: my birthday is July 15. in case you forgot.

T

holy crap! I almost peed myself from laughing so hard. That's so cool!

I want a corner piece. :D Great idea and thanks for the instructions..it's a keeper.

That is fabulous! I know what my husband is getting for his birthday! Thanks for the step by step instructions.

We attempted this here cake for my Birthday ...came out a little more GHETTO but it was an experiment..the jello completely went awry so it turned out to be kinda half-assed--still a cool cake

I added more FESTIVE characters on my ship

hey it TASTED good at least

Pages: 1 6 replies