Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Maui International Festival of Canoes 2007 (2008 pg3)

Pages: 1 36 replies

Aloha gang, TCers and lurkers. Today I was lucky enough to get away from the house for a while and go check out some carvers from all over the Pacific. Fortunately they are all here on Maui for Maui International Festival of Canoes. Dubbed "Maui's Signature Cultural Heritage Event." I figured I could use some cultural heritage enrichment or whatevahs and while I'm at it share it with all of you.

When I arrived I could almost feel the energy in the air(or was it the saw dust?) The first thing you see when entering the park is this huge Hale Halawai (meeting house) It's quite impressive even in this premature state. I'm not certain if it is to be finished at the end of the festival.

The Pahu carver was MIA.:cry:
When you walk past the meeting house you are greeted by roaring sounds of 2stroke engines in full swing as about a dozen chainsaws buzz away at some massive logs.

The first carvers I see are a group of Tongan men carving a Whale. They all seem quite content smiling as they work together. one worked on the barnacles and protuberances on the giant whale as another chipped away at his fluke.

Then what did I see directly behind them? It was the tallest tiki I think I've seen. It's laying down and barely started but I can already tell it will be impressive.

Then I checked out the custom old school boards. Here's Shaper Kenny Tilton with a beauty of a board. They had some killer paipos too.

The Moolele hauled out.

Then I made my way around to the New Zealand Waka area and they're are carving this cool TekoTeko

It was a lot of fun and I'll post more info about the carvers soon. I'm gonna go back to get some shots of the finished art works as well.

Aloha
E

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2007-05-17 04:08 ]

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2008-06-26 16:49 ]

B

WOW, How Lucky were you to be there. What an Amazing pool of talentchopping away, not to mention the Ancients who were there by the scores and who, I'm sure, got their licks in with the Adzes and chain saws.( Yes they LOVE New tools!)
Take as many pictures as you can because this is a once in a life time event that will hold great memories for Many years to come.
Here I am being Very Envious. :( :( (:-)

THAT is very cool. Wish I could be there. Let the ancients flow thru your blood.

J

On 2007-05-17 05:55, Benzart wrote:

Take as many pictures as you can

Second that! We should get a team together and apply for this event next year!

JP

Does this take place every year?

F

Way too cool. There looks like some awesome action going on. i was lucky enough one year to be in Kona for the racing. Can't wait for the extra pics.
Regards
Flynny

P
Paipo posted on Thu, May 17, 2007 1:44 PM

On 2007-05-17 04:07, AlienTiki wrote:
They had some killer paipos too.

:D

Looks like a magical event - you must get a few cool cultural/creative gatherings like this in Hawaii? I love anything to do with canoes and voyaging, especially if tikis are involved. I'll be eagerly awaiting more pics too!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 17, 2007 3:23 PM

I would have loved to have been there and listened to the saws and watch them working on those huge logs. I live for that stuff! Man I bet you had the greatest time. Please post more pics of the teko and the sea life carvings if you have any more or if you go back again? If you have other pics or can take more of the rough out stages that would be great, as well as any pics of the carvings closer to completion. Pretty please? If you don't want to post them I understand, but please send them to my email??!!!

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 17, 2007 3:38 PM

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-05-17 15:39 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 17, 2007 8:25 PM

Looks like a great event, can't wait to see more pictures :D

Aloha gang,
Sorry I have not posted sooner.

This event is ongoing until the 26th when the parade happens. It is an annual event but the carvers can vary from year to year. I'm sorry I don't have more pictures now but check here for pics of the previous years.

Thanks for all the interest and yes I promise I will go get more pics of the finished works as I plan to go back twice this week.

Aloha
e

Alien,

This is nice stuff, would love to be there and just sit and watch under a palm. Thanks for the pics and the link!
Look forward to the next pictures!

Aloha folks, Back again with some new photos.
Some more killer boards.

And check the tiki and malolo.

Then I met Male(pronounced Mal-Lay not mail)

He is the son and apprentice of the master carver Sitiveni "Steven" Fe'Ao Fehoko. Pictured in the red shirt working on the "Tu" here.

Male insisted I step over the rope dividing the carver from the gawkers and feel the muscles of the whale. Incredible is all I can say the detail that has gone into it.

Then over to the waka area but I could not find the TekoTeko. In it's place was this prow?

I don't know much about it.

then I saw this canoe waiting for the outrigger to be attached.

Oh an there's the Teko soaking up the rays.

I'll try and get some more pics Friday.

Aloha
E

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 23, 2007 6:50 PM

Oh hell yes! Thanks for that Alien!!!!

B

YES, What an Experience just to see the pictures, I can't imagine BEING THERE, you will feel the Power for the rest of your Life!

Way cool Pics!!!

Wow...that whale is just unbelievably beautiful...AMAZING!!! Great pics...thanks.

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 23, 2007 8:36 PM

Really loving this, thanks for the pics :D

Oh hell yeah again. Nice!
Thanks for sharing and posting those.
Sperm Whale, Blue Whale, wot the hale?

C
Cammo posted on Thu, May 24, 2007 7:20 AM

These are so slick, real smooth carving. That whale looks life-size. And the 'Tu' ones are GREAT. Do these pros carve Tiki's year round? For who?

Buzzy - you should jump over there and give those guys a hand. (Et Tu, Buzzy?)

And - what kind of giant logs are those??? Anybody know?

It sounds as though you enjoyed the Festival of Canoes 2007. Your pictures were great.
I was fortunate be involved this year, working behind the scenes and with the carvers. What an experience! I was also able to attended the “Two on Tattoo” workshop done by Tricia Allen.
Did you get a chance to attend any workshops? Did you attended the Parade/Launch Ceremony? I got to pull the Micronesian Canoe in the parade and had a little ride after the launch....defiantly awesome!

Planning for Festival of Canoes 2008 is already full swing. Being that it is the 10th year of the Master Carvers coming to Maui, we have some exciting plans.

If you want to keep posted or get involved with the Festival for 2008 check out the website
http://www.mauicanoefest.com

Aloha,
Audra

J

bump

The 2008 Maui Internation Festival of Canoes starts tomorrow!

H

thanks for bumping JP - what a cool thread.

pity the above link goes to a cheap meds page??!!

J

Was this at the park across from 505 Front St?

Rex

S

Wow missed this post tell now! COOL!!
More Pics!

thanks alien

International Festival of Canoes: Part 1

"" Every year Maui showcases the tradition of canoe building at its International Festival of Canoes.

We take you there and visit with a respected elder from New Zealand who makes the trip every year.

The chainsaws are buzzing with life, a notably different sound from canoe building in the past. But these men from around the Pacific, in New Zealand, Samoa, Micronesia and Hawaii, are working to complete a new canoe in just two weeks.

Of the many crews and master carvers who come to the festival, only Aotearoa's Hekenukumai Busby, has made the trip for 10 years straight.

His reason for coming is the gratitude he feels for Nainoa Thompson and the Hawaiians who helped revitalize celestial navigation in Aotearoa. ""

http://tinyurl.com/3nug9j

In the heart of my soul . I would that I had been born in Celtic lands
But I was born here . a Celt in Maori lands . And my heart is content

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-06-04 00:39 ]

International Festival of Canoes: Part 2

"" Each year Maui's International Festival of Canoes features a different carving crew from outside Polynesia. This year, we introduce you to the team from the island of Yap in Micronesia. Chief Bruno Thamgan is doing what he normally does on his home island of Yap, carving canoes. But this time he is doing it much quicker. "What takes me two months to do back home in Yap, Micronesia only takes me two days to do here. The equipment is much faster than what we have." Bruno is here with a crew of four, including his sone who will be the first graduate of the Yap Traditional Maritime Institute. The school was founded in 2006 and strives to perserve traditional Yapese canoe building, sailing, and navigating practices. "There are not very many people that can build canoes. I am the last of a breed that knows how to build canoes in the traditional Yapese way. I want to pass it on to my kids and children of Yap." Festival coordinators look forward to seeing the different styles of canoe building each year. Mahalo to Chief Bruno and all the participants in this year's International Festival of Canoes. We can't wait to see what Maui plans for its 12th annual event. ""

http://tinyurl.com/4a6yxf

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jun 5, 2008 7:01 AM

Holy Kokonut, is that anchorwoman ever cute! Is she Tina Chau? Va-va-va-VROOOOM!

The canoe carving is pretty cool too.

On 2008-06-05 07:01, Cammo wrote:
Holy Kokonut, is that anchorwoman ever cute! Is she Tina Chau? Va-va-va-VROOOOM!

The canoe carving is pretty cool too.

She's pretty damned alright in my book, man! Are those authentic Hawaiian chainsaws they're using?

I went to this thing again this year.

Sorry I did not post em sooner, as with everything I do it's on Hawaiian time and since I've done little more than lurk on here for a while I thought I'd show some photos of the event.

I'm sure some of you have seen one similar to this in New Zealand. Kinda reminds me of Uenukutuwhatu.

These paddles and the two Tu were carved by Master Carver Sitiveni "Steven" Fe'ao Fehoko. The same guys who did the Humpback Whale last year and the fish sculpture as well.

There was another tiki I did not photograph. It was a giant support Tiki carved out of some junk wood. The carver was more than a little arrogant in his response to my only question. I left without photographing his work.

Hope you all like the pics. I wish I had more to share.

Aloha and mahalo

S

Love these pic's

Whats up? where are your latest carves?
Taking a break?

T

On 2007-05-17 04:07, AlienTiki wrote:
Aloha gang, TCers and lurkers. Today I was lucky enough to get away from the house for a while and go check out some carvers from all over the Pacific. Fortunately they are all here on Maui for Maui International Festival of Canoes. Dubbed "Maui's Signature Cultural Heritage Event." I figured I could use some cultural heritage enrichment or whatevahs and while I'm at it share it with all of you.

Then I made my way around to the New Zealand Waka area and they're are carving this cool TekoTeko

It was a lot of fun and I'll post more info about the carvers soon. I'm gonna go back to get some shots of the finished art works as well.

------    ------   ------    ------    ------  

Then over to the waka area but I could not find the TekoTeko. In it's place was this prow?

I don't know much about it.

Oh an there's the Teko soaking up the rays.

I came across this page , that adds to these great photos taken by AlienTiki in 2007

"" Open Polytechnic represented at international carving festival
Each year indigenous carvers from around the Pacific are invited to attend the prestigious International Festival of the Canoes in Hawaii to represent their country’s carving skills. This year, New Zealand’s contingent included carvers associated with the Diploma in Maori Art and Design at The Open Polytechnic of New Zealand.

Held each May for the last nine years, the festival provides an opportunity for master carvers and artisans to showcase their skills in carving and share their indigenous knowledge across cultures.

Master canoe builder Hector Busby led the New Zealand contingent which also included Rangi Hetet, master carver and mentor to The Open Polytechnic’s carving course, and renowned carver Sam Hauwaho, tutor for the course.

“We’ve had an association with Hector since 1989 when we carved two canoes for the 1990 Petone Settler’s celebrations, and he brought down a group to teach us how to paddle, and we took the canoes into Wellington harbour,” says Sam.

Held in view of the public, the festival participants spend two weeks carving traditional canoes, tiki and drums. The New Zealand contingent carving both a waka and a tekoteko.

“Because there is no tradition of tiki carving in New Zealand, and we didn’t feel it was culturally appropriate to imitate a Hawaiian piece, we instead chose to carve a tekoteko that was over 6-foot high, along with our waka. The tekoteko symbolised Tangaroa, the guardian of the sea, and since Hawaii has a close association with the water it suited the design that went into the piece,” explains Sam.

“Attending the festival was a fantastic opportunity to meet master carvers from many different nations, and learn from each other so that we can incorporate new techniques into our work. I personally learnt new ways of lashing the canoes, and also new cutting techniques. The Polytechnic’s advanced level 6 Diploma in Maori Art and Design has a waka component to it, and it will be quite fitting to incorporate some of these new aspects into it.”

Master carver Rangi Hetet governed what the New Zealand contingent carved at the festival says Sam. “Rangi’s knowledge and input was invaluable, he is my teacher and I will always be learning from him.”

The New Zealand waka stood out from the other canoes as surface designs on canoes are almost unique to Maori carvers. “Aside from Tonga, no other Pacific nation use surface designs on their canoes,” says Sam.

The New Zealand contingent also had to learn quickly how to cut the wood supplied for the festival. Used to softer woods such as totara, matai and kauri, the carvers were carving their designs into the Albizia tree, a quick growing South African tree that the Hawaiians use so they can preserve stocks of their scarce native timbers. “Carving in this type of wood slowed me down. You have to be really careful because if you cut it a certain way it would break right through the tree,” explains Sam.

The first few days of the festival were tough as participants got used to the sweltering heat, and working 12 hour days for the duration of the festival. “What made the festival so enjoyable for me was being around so many master carvers and canoe builders, with all the different groups helping each other out with the lifting and cutting of the canoes.”

So what makes a master carver? “People have a different view on what a master carver is, and how you get that title,” says Sam. “In my father-in-law Rangi Hetet’s case, he said it was his tribe (Ngati Tuwharetoa) that gave him that title of Tohunga Whakairo (master carver). He said a Tohunga Whakairo needs to be able to carve and organise the carving of a wharenui (meeting house), know karikia related to carving, be fluent in te reo Maori, and be able to design and weave tukutuku panels. Nowadays, times have changed, and to a certain extent it is hard to uphold those traditions.”

Having come back from the festival with lots of new techniques and ideas, Sam is looking forward to sharing that knowledge with his students at The Open Polytechnic. ""

http://www.openpolytechnic.ac.nz/aboutus/newsandevents/carving

Good find. Id never come across that before (nor heard of the carvers to my shame). Superb work!

yep , research huh

... the result of cabin fever brought about by the third day of relentless rain

:lol:

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 20, 2009 7:51 PM

a big bump for the trad carvers who are also saw-jockeys. I love the boats and the monster carvings...oh and the sawz :)

I would love to see these guys work in person.

I would love to build one of those boats for my Bow Rider......

S

So cool i love your pics of the carvers.

Pages: 1 36 replies