Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New tikis in the Mai Kai garden??

Pages: 1 11 replies

I went to happy hour yesterday and as I strolled through the garden, I noticed fresh paint and new-ish tikis. There is a great story behind these treasures. So I'm calling you out - you know who you are - tell the story and give us some insight.

W

Yes, It's true.
I found out they bought cement tiki molds in the 60s.
I've been working with them for a few weeks & have made
several of them. They are in good shape. They have a lot
of them. I feel lucky to have this opportunity & hope to
make many more of them. They will be showing up slowly but
surely. check em out.
wplugger

Any pictures guys?

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Kai-Tai!

G

Is the outside facade of the building getting fresh paint or the tikis? More info please. And pictures!

M

Ahem!

I'm so glad that we took pictures of every Tiki on their property when we were there a couple of years ago. They were looking neglected. I'm happy to hear that things are being attended to. TLC for the history.

Mahalo

Oh, and post pics soon or be banned! (JK!)

McTiki

[ Edited by: McTiki 2007-05-17 16:09 ]

All the credit really needs to be heaped on wplugger!!! He has begun this project on his own accord. The molds are very cool and from what he has told me - there are alot. As he creates more, hopefully, the really damaged ones will be fazed out. We walked around the garden the other evening, and it was very enlightening. Hope to see more!

Sorry no pics! :(

It would be a good marketing idea if they would produce a limited run of these for sale at The Mai Kai. I'd pay a shyte load of money for one... and haul it back myself...

I was at the Mai Kai last night with tons of folks for the Intoxicators show and we all strolled through the gardens to see the new Tikis! Will - they are fabulous!! Great work and great to see new life in the gardens. I told Dave you did a fine job!

I'm definitely gonna promote the idea of them selling these. I'll post pics on Monday if someone doesn't beat me to it.

On 2007-05-19 12:32, tiki_kiliki wrote:
I was at the Mai Kai last night with tons of folks for the Intoxicators show and we all strolled through the gardens to see the new Tikis! Will - they are fabulous!! Great work and great to see new life in the gardens. I told Dave you did a fine job!

I'm definitely gonna promote the idea of them selling these. I'll post pics on Monday if someone doesn't beat me to it.

They could look into using some form of injected foam to make them. It would make them
much lighter. Yes more prone to damage, but if packed right, they should survive.

The new tiki in the indoor garden, front and center, was carved by yours truly! I'm a proud and honored papa!

pics...pics...pics...pics...pics :D

On 2007-05-22 01:22, Basement Kahuna wrote:
The new tiki in the indoor garden, front and center, was carved by yours truly! I'm a proud and honored papa!

These are indoor garden pics from Hukilua 06/ Mai Kai 50th, featuring BK's Marquesan.

BEAUTIFUL!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp... :D

[ Edited by: TravelingJones 2007-05-22 16:56 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies