Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hawaiian Independence

Pages: 1 7 replies

I found this site after doing a couple of reports on Hawaii

http://www.hawaii-nation.org/

Actually they have a pretty good claim for sovereignty. The coup Against Queen Liliuokalani was not done by Hawaiians but by Sugar interests and the U.S military. The Natives tried to revolt but were put down by U.S. forces. This was totally unfair and shows when America was still in its imperialistic Phase. I don’t know if this is the undercurrent in Hawaii or is it a small few that want Independence Maybe Gecko can help me out on this one!

H

Talkie-Tiki, I think you may like this book:

The Betrayal of Liliuokalani: Last Queen of Hawaii 1838-1917

If it's the same book I read ~10 years ago, it's got some interesting history in it. I'm not sure it's the same book, though.

thats really cool! thanks

C

Actually there are two groups persuing some type of Sovereignty for Native Hawaiians. One group favors complete independence while proponents of the the other wants some type of nation within a nation like Native Americans have. The whole subject has been made more relevent in recent times by an attack on Hawaiian entitlements like homeland leases, funds for Hawaiian language, etc. Conservative lawyers and missionary descendents have been pursuing law cases (Rice vs Cayetano) that demand a stop to favoritism because of being Native Hawaiian. If you ask me and I've studied the history the Hawaiians have a good case for independence. Even President Clinton apologized for the takeover but didn't go any further towards reparations for the illegal overthrow. There's a bill in Congress now (the Akaka Bill) that would give Native Hawaiians the same type of protection as Native Indians but it's meeting strong opposition.

V

Yes, but don't you think that independence is a far too radical solution for such litigation. I mean, have a look at all those poor little island nations in the South Pacific where corruption, civil war and endless coups d'état are common. What makes you think an independent Hawaii will be politically or economically better off.
Anyway, real independence doesn't exist, only inter-depenence of all nations so why not talk about some sort of large autonomy?

All good points. It really is a stain upon the U.S. how the Hawaiians were deprived of their sovereignty in such a despicable way.
Maybe the residents of Hawaii should be allowed to hold a referendum on the subject of some form of sovereignty.
An equitable solution(and a way to make up for the many injustices perpetrated upon the Polynesians)may be to give the Hawaiians independence and yet keep the benefit(?)of American defense protection similar to the situation that Puerto Rico has.

As one who is part Native American, it really doesn't matter too much if the U.S. grants some sort of sovereignty or not. The damage is done.

As a kid, my mother and I lived off the Papago Indian Reservation in Tucson. It sucked. The place is one of the most depressing communities you will ever experience. No hope.

Once the spirit is broken the soul leaves. (They shoot horses don't they?)

You cannot expect things to revert back to the way they were once the influence of the larger society has tainted it.

Now, where's the fire water?

'A thing of Tiki is a joy forever'

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-01-25 13:02 ]

A

Yes, there will probably always be a population in Hawaii that would like to work towards independence in various forms. But, I'd just like to comment that the movement doesn't necessarily represent the consensus. I personally know a lot of Hawaiians on Kauai, native and otherwise, who considered themselves extremely fortunate to be part of the U.S. after hurricane Iniki a few years ago, and for other reasons too. In a specific case, our family knows a descendant of the queen's family who doesn't favor the independence movement at all.

I've read about the original annexation to the U.S., and the thing is that there were also many who were happy about it (not just the cliche bad guys - "rich" businessmen), partly because of their own potential improved quality of life, and also often partly because of their own dissatisfaction with the monarchy. It's not unheard of for a population to want to shed the control of a monarchy - consider the founding of the U.S. itself. Not to discount those who were originally opposed to annexation; it's a valid position, just not the only one that existed, then or now.

But for the people who want independence, it's too bad when it degenerates in some cases to an overall anti-haole attitude, because it makes it look like all Hawaiians are bitter, negative and un-welcoming, when that's not true AT ALL!

-Randy

Pages: 1 7 replies