Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Official Tonga Hut Art Show and Rocketship Decanter launch thread.

Pages: 1 46 replies

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 22, 2007 8:22 PM

Tonga Hut art show and Rocketship Decanter Launch May 26th @ 7pm.

On 2007-05-04 03:11, atomikitty wrote:
AN OUT OF THIS WORLD ONE NIGHT EVENT!!!

*** Here are the artists who will have art at the Tonga Hut May26th.***
GROG include links to see more of their art. Enjoy. See ya'll on the 26th.

Holden from Tiki Farm http://www.tikifarm.com
Launching the Rocketship Decanter designed by Flounder and squlpted by Squid.
(Plus he'll have more Tiki Farm goodies as well)

Tom Thordarson http://www.thorstor.com/

Tiki Dav http://members.aol.com/kelea98/dave/

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22368&forum=7

I'm going to bring some table lamps like these, but with fancier shades.

Also some small resin castings like these plus some pendants that have not yet been cast at this writing.

Susannah Mosher http://www.o-susannah.com

Debuting a new Coconut Monkey painting.

Tiki Ray http://tikiray.com/gallery.html
(That's not him in the picture, but those are his tiki carvings)

Hey , heres a couple of California Redwood carvings that are new plus a 2 1/2' tiki I'll also be bringing .

Clarita's Candles
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=45435110

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=21408&forum=7&start=0

Amazing Art, Intoxicating Tunes, Luscious and Exotic Tiki Drinks! So much talent in one room at once! Don't miss it!

On 2007-05-22 12:07, atomikitty wrote:
We DO have some AMAZING drink specials for the night! :)

The Two I am sure of, and VERY excited about are:

We will be PREMIERING an amazing new drink special created specifically for the TONGA HUT by our very own TC OHANA-PiPhiRho!

THE TONGA LEI draws it's inspiration from the 3 main exports of TONGA-Coconut, Vanilla and Bananas. Blend those with some spicy notes of gold rum, falernum and orange bitters, and you've got a winner! Be the FIRST to get Lei'd at the Tonga hut on Saturday the 26th!

THE LECHEE NUT MARTINI features Premium Lechee nut liquor chilled and strained with pink grapefruit juice! (served with a lechee nut thank you very much!)
This is light and delicious with a perfect tart/sweet balance.

Other drinks I am considering:

The Cosmonut (A tiki-sputnik-like spin off of a white Russian with Macadamia nut liquor, Iced coffee, liquor 43 and cream)

The Planet of the Apes (Beachbum's recipe with Dark rum, creme de banana and citrus juices)

The Pink Squirrel (Creme to noyaux, Creme de Cacao, Creme)

TIKI-RAY:
I've had an amazing tiki year with sales , shows , and calender work that will soon be in stores like Wal-Mart.I decided to give back and** auction this piece off for the tiki fans** . I will be bringing this piece to the show and starting the bidding at less than 1/2 price ($150.00). Anyone who wants to bid on it can add their price and name to the auction list . At 11:00 pm , whoever has the highest bid takes it home . It is 3-1/2 foot tall , 19"wide and 17" deep. Its kind of oval shaped .It has 2 coats of "Man o War" spar var on it . It is hand carved and burnt plus tattooed with wood burning tools . I hope you enjoy it , Tiki-Ray

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-05-22 21:30 ]

[ Edited by: grog 2007-05-22 23:33 ]

[ Edited by: grog 2007-05-29 21:15 ]

Oooohhhhhh!

Sooooooooo

clean

and

Crisp Too!

K

nice stuff!
sorry I can't be there, the drive's too far ya know!
y'all have a great time, maybe I can time my summer trip to include Tonga Hut...
:wink:
K.

I'm drinking a Tonga Lei right now.

Except I f&&ed it up. Put the wrong rum in. Still not too bad, though. I'm kinda f&)ed up, too. No doubt Suzy will do much better.

I will be there after all!! see ya there!

C

Good idea to start a new thread, Squirell and mokey free just art and friends!
I wanted to thank Grog and Atomikitty for inviting me and Tiki-ray for Vending for me. I'm from Argentina, so I won't be there in person just in spirit with my art...
I'm very honored and happy to be a part of this event, Thanks again!!

S
squid posted on Wed, May 23, 2007 1:41 PM

Finally, a safe place to post. Me and the Mrs will definitely be there. No work, all play! Looking forward to some awesome art and drinks. See ya!

G
GROG posted on Wed, May 23, 2007 1:43 PM

And Clarita, we're very honored to have your beautiful candles at our show all the way from Argentina.

[ Edited by: grog 2007-05-23 19:01 ]

T

I recently posted that Im auctioning off my tiki at the Tonga Hut . I also posted it on myspace trying to promote the show . Now Im getting hits from people asking if they can bid now on it or try to buy out from underneath the show . I had to tell them that I carved it for the the Tonga show and they will have to bid like everyone else . So I guess a few more people are coming Susanah, dont run out of rum .Is there a possibility that they can have some Redbull or something for us tiki people who dont drink alcohol? If not,no problem . Ill stick with Cokes .

Hey Suzy I,ll be ready for my Drink and ya know which one it is . CYA there

B

A smattering of what I'll be bringing. I've got pendants too, but have not photographed them.

See you Kats, Kittens, and Squirrels on Saturday!!

Great Ray! The More the merrier!

Yes, I will make sure there is Redbull or Monster for you, and I will probably be bringing in some Reed's Ginger Beer as well.

Thanks for sticking to your guns and not selling that awesome tiki to sneaky myspace pre-bidders . . . if they want to support the tiki scene, they gotta come out to the bars and art shows like the rest of us! :)

TikiDav, can't wait to meet you-your sculptures are amazing!

THOR, I know you are a talented and busy artist, and we are so happy to have you in our show! We may not be in Hawaii, but we will do our best on Saturday to make it feel like a bit of a vacation for you! :)

BUMP! Hee hee! :)

See ya all Saturday!

T

Hula Bump!

B

Here are some examples of the pendants I'm bringing.

Bump!

S

Awesome stuff Dave! It'll be a pleasure to meet you and see it in person.

Hey Ray, Is there a tiki somewhere in that hula bump pic?

Bumpity, bumpity bump!

T

I have just received another batch of Claritas Amazing Candles today from Argentina . At my last show people requested more and brighter colors and damn if that girl didnt produce them . They are bright and beautiful just like her !!!!They are being sold for $10-$15-$20-and $30 and worth it . All are original and hand made by her . All sales go to her also. Im just the proxy boy.
Dont forget that Im also auctioning off that 3 1/2 foot tiki starting at less than 1/2 price so be ready to bid on it .I have never done this but I want someone to give this tiki a home at 11pm .You can name it yourself just like finding a bastard child on your doorstep. See ya there folks , Ray

C

Thanks a lot Tiki-Ray you are a great friend!! and a very talented one too! Very nice new carvings!!! Can't wait to find out who's going to be the happy owner of that Tiki.

Hi Tiki-Dav you've being working a lot, great great great new stuff!! (and HER? do you still have her waiting?)

I like the new coconut monkey a lot too! As Atomikitty said a lot of talent in the same room! I hope I could be there too, having a great drink, meeting cool people and enjoying some incredible art!

Have a great evening! (Take some pictures if you can for the far away fans...)
Best wishes to you all!!

Tiki Candle Maker

[ Edited by: Clarita 2007-05-26 09:40 ]

B

Hi Tiki-Dav you've being working a lot, great great great new stuff!! (and HER? do you still have her waiting?)

Hola Clarita! Oh yes, HER. That's another story............

I'm sorry you will not be there tonight. Hey, If you get on a plane right now, you can probably make it to LA in time for the show!!

G
GROG posted on Sat, May 26, 2007 11:02 AM

We've got GOOD NEWS and BAD NEWS for tonights event at the Tonga Hut:

The BAD NEWS---Holden from Tiki Farm won't be able to make it out tonight.
The GOOD NEWS---He shipped the Rocketship Decanters to GROG to sell at the Tonga Hut.

The BAD NEWS----He had to reject the first batch that came from the factory because they were overglazed.
The GOOD NEWS---He did get a good batch of 29 that GROG will be selling at the art show.

The BAD NEWS----There's ONLY 29 of those decanters, so what small inventory GROG have may sell out quickly.
The GOOD NEWS---The quicker they sell out, the more time GROG have for just drinking and visiting and NOT having to sell decanters.

The BAD NEWS---If you get there too late, they may be sold out.
The GOOD NEWS--- If you get there too late to get a decanter,we've got other awesome art to buy, and some awesome drinks, some kickin' music by the DJ, and some good friends to drink with in a nice neighborhood Tiki bar.

FREE STUFF ALERT !!!

I'll be there handing out 3 song CD Samplers, with a nifty Tikiyaki Orchestra Cocktail Coaster inlcuded. :)

See y'all tonite.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-05-26 12:10 ]

On 2007-05-26 11:02, GROG wrote:
We've got GOOD NEWS and BAD NEWS for tonights event at the Tonga Hut:

The BAD NEWS---Holden from Tiki Farm won't be able to make it out tonight.
The GOOD NEWS---He shipped the Rocketship Decanters to GROG to sell at the Tonga Hut.

The BAD NEWS----He had to reject the first batch that came from the factory because they were overglazed.
The GOOD NEWS---He did get a good batch of 29 that GROG will be selling at the art show.

The BAD NEWS----There's ONLY 29 of those decanters, so what small inventory GROG have may sell out quickly.
The GOOD NEWS---The quicker they sell out, the more time GROG have for just drinking and visiting and NOT having to sell decanters.

The BAD NEWS---If you get there too late, they may be sold out.
The GOOD NEWS--- If you get there too late to get a decanter,we've got other awesome art to buy, and some awesome drinks, some kickin' music by the DJ, and some good friends to drink with in a nice neighborhood Tiki bar.

I thought you said No BS ?!? On this thread!!!

See ya tonight people!
I am really looking forward to a great time! :)

I am currently printing up the drink menus. Here is the final line-up for your drinking pleasure:
The TONGA LEI
Lechee Nut Martini!
Planet of the Apes!
The Ginger Flame!

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Sorry to all you weirdos that were voting for the 'Pink Squirrel'-I tried it and it was gross. :)

IN OTHER TONGA HUT ART SHOW NEWS. . . .

In true Atomikitty style, I procrastinated until the last minute, and then stayed up all night and went gangbusters to crank out a new painting for your viewing pleasure!!!
And guess what??!! It's NOT a Coconut Monkey!
Be the FIRST to see the new piece TONIGHT!

On 2007-05-26 11:13, tikiyaki wrote:
FREE STUFF ALERT !!!

I'll be there handing out 3 song CD Samplers, with a nifty Tikiyaki Orchestra Cocktail Coaster inlcuded. :)

See y'all tonite.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-05-26 12:10 ]

WooHoo and I will be there early!!! Tikiyaki's music sounds tiki-riffic!!!

"Almost got this thing open... Isis, did you bring the long straw...?"

Cheers to the terrific artists on display at the Tonga tonight! The Demented Menehunes are piling into their Cosmic Canoe, and looking forward to greeting the talented artists on display this evening!

Fabloha nui!
SOK

http://www.yoyoisland.com

We're leaving right now...Zaya and I just need to pick someone else up on the way.
See you all soon.
You guys better make this trip worth it or Zaya's going to kick Grog's ass for promoting a shitty event.
I'm glad I only have to deal with 29 mug guys tonight now. Sorry about those mugs, people.

Buzzy

B

First of all, I cannot believe that after being out so late last night that I am up and on the computer already.

Big thanks to GROG, Atomickitty, and everyone else who put the show together. I had a great time meeting everyone and hanging out. See you all again soon I hope.

Now I sleep.

Very fun night! TikiYaki-Thanks for the CD sampler! The music is fantastic! I can't wait for the full length CD to come out. Keep us posted! Thor had some great prints available. Tiki Ray auctioned a BIG beautiful tiki....How much did someone steal it for?

Aquarama, Yvette and HipHipHula

Bora Boris, SoccerTiki, Little Lost Tiki and Dave's Not Home (licking something tasty?)

L.L.T. and WooHooWahine (and D.N.H. in the background)

BayParkBuzzy and Zaya (what's that around his neck?)

Major Tiki Bling!

Tiki Ray and S.T. (who's grabbin' who?)

CheekyGirl and her new T.C. recruit

TigerLilly and friends

This is what happens when you put Grog in charge of a booth! LOL!

Suzy's beautiful monkeyworks on display!

Great night indeed....Thanx to Soccer Tiki for introducing to all the TC luminaries, and to WooHooWahine for giving away my CD samplers for me ! Great meeting all the talented artists and cool peeps too.

The guy who got the Tiki Ray tiki got away with a steal for sure.

THOR was kind enough to give me the "Marasino Bandito" print just cos' I gave him a CD...I'd say I got the good end of that bargain :)
Mahalo, brah!

Kirby, we gotta do Yaki's for lunch one of these days... 2 great locations..either by ME or by YOU. I'll have the "Aloha Bowl", please.

Grog, I almost didn't recognize you without you being superimposed into a squirrel photo :o ...great meeting you too.

Look forward to the next one.

Anyone up for one these kind of shows at the soon to be open Sam's Seafood ?

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 27, 2007 12:18 PM

Thank you everybody for coming out and supporting the Tonga Hut and the artists. It was good seeing everybody (except Kinny). Kirby, you're always welcome to come as long as you bring Polly.
It was nice meeting new people like Tikiyaki, Sonny from Nutty, and Aquarama.

Thank you to the people who made LONG trips out here for the show like Buzzy and Zaya up from San Diego, and Pdrake an Tiki-Kate out from Las Vegas and Yucaipa.

Thanks to all the artists for participating and the Tonga Hut for having us there and serving up tasty drinks, and thanks for getting the DJ who was playing such fun music.

Thanks Suzy for the fliers, helping organize and advertise the event, and for serving up some yummy drink specials. Sorry GROG not sale more of your prints. For some reason people would rather buy coconut monkey art from a pretty blonde with a pleasant smile rather than a crotchety old bald caveman.

And thanks Bamboo Ben for not coming to the Tonga Hut and doing something to embarrass GROG.

No BS!
It was a pretty fun Event!

T

I had a great time last night . Tikiyaki is right , That couple did get a steal on that tiki. I would have had more bids but I dont have M/C or visa hookups . I dont feel bad at all though . It went to great couple of newlyweds who were looking for art for their new place . Theyre probably conceiving their first offspring on it right now ...lol.Thanks to Suzy who makes a great club soda with 2 limes , Grog and Tiki Dav for their support . I was fortunate to be set up next to Thor all night and talking shop with him . What an amazing artist!!!Im blown away by the colors and the glows coming from torches and lights in his paintings.Thanks Thor , it was a true pleasure .Thanks to all who came out to support and share in this event . Well , I gotta get back to carving , Ray

great music, great drinks, great art, great people, great time

H

I had a great time as well. Grog you need to change jobs, you were rocking as a commission based salesman. TikiDav I love my pendant, you are the best. Kirby we need to stop meeting like this. Ron Tiki it was nice meeting you. LLT you are out of control funny. Everyone else, it sure was fun. Suzy the drinks were awesome. PhiPhiRho, I loved your creation, it tasted real good. In fact it was so good that I am going back there with Q-tiki this evening and I will try your drink again.
:music: Just can't get enough :music:I Just can't get enough..:music:

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2007-05-27 16:04 ]

I had a fantastic time partying at the Tonga Hut last night! Know what was almost better than hanging with, Mr. & Mrs. Squid, Grog, LLT, Tiki Kate, Pdrake, Woohoo & Scoccer Tiki, Aquaorama, Tigerlily, Dave & Kim, Jimmy, Trader Tom & Ilene So many fun people?? What could be almost as fun?? What I say!!...

I HAVE A OHANA HUT!

H

This is funny, we went there last night and the bartender told us the only thing she could make us was a mai tai. They ran out of all the liquor on Saturday night. It's a good thing I guess, we had fun otherwise.

G
GROG posted on Mon, May 28, 2007 10:46 AM

You all drank ALL the liquor saturday?! Bunch of damned alcoholics ( GROG drank GROG's share, too). One of these days Tiki Central will have to be changed to Alcoholics Anonymous. Until that day----Suzy, pour GROG another Planet of the Apes!!

It was a Realy Funn Event Great C, in everyone .

R

Hey everyone! Name's Ravenne, I joined the boards a long time ago because SuburbanPagan mentioned it. I was living in the East Coast, but moved a few months ago to LA. Saturday night was the first time I ever experienced a kick ass tiki art show! I loved it! I definitely can't wait for the next event!

Had a total blast!

Thanks everyone!

:)
~Ravs

This really was a great event.

In addition to all the fantastic artwork, I especially enjoyed getting to meet aquaorama and getting to spend some quality chat time with Hiphipahula.

I think most of the pictures that I took were on other people's cameras. But here are a few from mine.

Pdrake and THOR

Daves Not Home, GROG, Little Lost Tiki and Pdrake

Tiki-Kate and GROG

Perry and Kate

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make this such a wonderful evening.

J

Come on! Were there seriously only 2 cameras there? Where are the pics people?

I thought the place was going to be a Ghost Town since it was Memorial Day weekend. The place was packed! As always, great drinks, art and people!

MT

I was bummed that Coco Loco and I couldn't make it. We were the last ones to finish our lamp over at Monkeyman's place, and we were hanging out talkin' story with Derek while waiting for the lamp to dry. It was taking forever, and we eventually had to take a hair dryer to it. After it was dry enough, Derek packaged it up for us, we headed back to Al's place, and cleaned up and got all dressed up for the Tonga Hut show.

And lo and behold, our car battery had died! No soup for us! Double bummer because there was another special event that we had been invited to, and had to end up missing both. All of the auto parts stores were already closed, and we had to call AAA to jump start the car. The battery in our car has been acting up lately, and I was afraid to drive up to Hollywood without jumper cables. The AAA agent said that they could sell us a new battery, but when the tow truck driver showed up, he was stinkin' drunk! He wasn't an officially sanctioned AAA driver, and didn't have any batteries, and when he radio'ed in our request, they said that they weren't taking any credit cards or checks over the weekend. And I wasn't about to give drunk tow truck guy cash, and then wait all night to get stiffed!

So we decided to call it a night, and instead of going to the Tonga Hut, we stayed in at Al's, which is also a great place, and I read a cool book about Fiji.

Yea it was a realy kool event place was packed which was great , on a Holiday too BOOT - nice drinks freinds . Whata Kool Night .

On 2007-05-29 14:33, JenTiki wrote:
Come on! Were there seriously only 2 cameras there? Where are the pics people?

Really! where are the pics? I know we had a pic of us toasting that Ohana Hut, even if we looked like shit.. I wanna see it. :D

Giggles at Mai Tai & Coco & car problems Bummer, See you soon I hope!

Despite the Mai-Tai/CocoLoco tragedy,the evening did produce that classic shot with book in lap and hand on chin...Sebastian Cabot's in the air!
the one time i didn't bring my camera and nobody does.....How does anyone expect to be able to reassemble the night's activities without pictures? I remember punching Ernie in the gut,but will dismiss it as a sick fantasy until I see pictures!

Guess you don't remember the the missus'n'me bailin' you out, then, LLT...

Fair enough. We didn't come-to back here on the island until that last "Planet-of-the-Apes" wore off... Mmmm... Somehow we survived AtomKitty's near-lethal mixology, (though our canoe's chronometer is behaving very strangely), and the TV screenings of "Barbarella" and "2001: A Space Odyssey" added exactly the perfect retro-futuristic timbre to the tikilicious vibe. Oooo.

The Demented Menehunes had a fabulabulous time (as always) at ground zero of NOHO's Friendly (Tonga) Islands...; Art Show #4 was cosmically sensational, and it was a great honor to meet the artists on display! (Not to play favorites too heavy-handidly, but wow, Thor is a long-time favorite, and it was a genuine pleasure to meet him in person, here on the mainland.)

A Great Show, NOHO Ohana!

Cheers and Aloha,
SOK

http://www.yoyoisland.com

Pages: 1 46 replies