Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki story in today's Boston Globe

Pages: 1 13 replies

Short article in today's Boston Globe Calendar section and also online, complete with Beachbum Berry quotes.

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/restaurants/articles/2007/05/24/south_seas_chic/

It covers some spots in the upcoming NORTHEAST TIKI TOUR.

BARGOYLE, they should've talked to you!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23775&forum=4

[ Edited by: thunderlips 2007-05-24 07:38 ]

Nice article...keeping tiki alive. :)

Tiki Island in Milford?? How did we miss this place and right on my backyard too... I'm sure it's in Tiki Road Trip 2.

Holy Crap, the Northeast Tiki Tour got a mention!!

His conclusions see very much in line with many of our own.

Great article!

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2007-05-24 07:18 ]

This just in--I've just been handed a story....That article was the COVER STORY for this week's Calendar magazine! I'll post the pics unless someone beats me to it. NICE!

MH

Aloha!

So, they mostly interviewed Cleve for this article. Cleve passed Chris over to WAITIKI and we mentioned the tiki crawl to him (I think cleve mentioned it already too). there was supposed to be a photo slideshow on boston.com somewhere with our music behind it but i havent seen that yet...

mr ho

B

NIce!!!

I've got a press release, and the thought was that it would get a news staffer to visit the local Polynesian places & report on them.

Now, here's my idea come to fruition, and I havent even sent the release out yet!!!

Too cool!!

C

WOW! This is timely for us - we're headed to Boston next weekend for the Red Sox/Yankees game - gotta hit some tiki while we're there, too - probably Friday night!

Mahalo for posting!!!

Hey, Pappy!
The Tiki Island is in Medford. You must still be feeling the effects of the Waitiki show on a school night. I've never heard of it either. You say you live close to Milford. I live in Grafton. If you don't want to expose the location of your habitat, I understand. You're not hiding Whitey Bulger are you?
See Ya!
Rick
P.S: Does anyone know this guy, Christopher Muther, who wrote the article?

B

Glad to see that article got printed so fast....it was just last week that Chris Muther and I were out hitting the bars. And a cover story to boot! Thanks for posting the scans, I didn't see the actual newspaper as I'm about 2000 miles from Boston, researching rums/rhums in the French West Indies (that's a polite term for getting hammered in the tropics). Chris is a great writer and a pretty damn good DJ to boot, so props to him for convincing the Globe editors to let him go out and have tropical cocktails for a week on their dime. Maybe more people will hit these places and the owners will sell more drinks. And its great news about the NE Tiki Tour, my hat is off to those folks who are organizing it. Hope I can make it!

But the TITLE!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

I've adopted tikibar's requirement: you can interview me only if you never use the words "tacky" and "tiki" in the same sentence!

B

Well, the title of the article is "South Seas Chic".

But then some editor gets involved, and thinks he's sooooo clever with the "tiki tacky" thing on the cover. Oh well, you cant win em all.

Props to Chris for the article though, and his mention of our Tour was certainly a boost to web traffic. We've now got like 10 people on the waiting list!!

Good things happening here in New England....just had Waitiki's cd release party, tiki tour lies ahead, the popular press is giving Poly-pop some ink, and, as always, we're planning more to come!!

HC

so true ....I worked for a paper as a photographer a few years ago and it's often some editor who has little to do with the story that makes up the title or cut line...but if you slog thru the b.s. politics of that... the essence of the story can be evidence of what WE know is the resurgence of that aloha spirit...EVEN amongst the traditionally more conservative (read uptight).....the New England Tiki Tour and it's moving force of fun will be riding the crest of that Wave ! Yahoo!!!!!!

Pages: 1 13 replies