Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Kapulapu- Palembei -Skoai - Thread Retired

Pages: 1 2 79 replies

KAPULAPU is lookin' PRIMO! :D

Whatever colors you do decide on, this is going to be one sharp mug! :drink:

sandz

Sam-Thanks for the comment. Funny, we just hung one of your superkool Orbit Room signs in our bathroom and are considering using it as a color palette for a new paint job.

Thanks a bunch, Tiki Kaimuki.... You could match them to the picture or just get a SignPainters 1-Shot enamel color chart which is the paint I use! :wink:

Just kidding!

Thanks Paipo, Haole'akamai, and blacksandz.

[ Edited by: tiki kaimuki 2008-01-24 12:11 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2009-05-06 08:33 ]

More glaze experiments. This is turning out to be the most challenging part.
The guy in the middle is going to be a special version.

I like the black one. Are you mixing your own colors or not getting what you expect from off-the-shelf glazes?

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2008-02-20 16:00 ]

Thanks, Silverline. I'm just using off the shelf glazes right now. Even application is the biggest challenge. The black one was supposed to come out flat, but it fluxed and got all glossy.

lol... i never can make a decision... so 1 of each please...lol... I like black but black tends to gob up? white, unless it is antiqued doesn't seem tiki enough, so antique the white & it will look f-in perfect :D just 1 gals opinion

H
harro posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2008 5:49 AM

theres some cool looking mugs here - nice work!!

Hey TK, Will you be bringing them to your Another Year Throw-down at FI this weekend?

Yeah Hip, I think an antiqued type white might be interesting for a future edition...

Harro, thanks for the compliment.

Haole'akamai, yes I will be most likely drinking out of one of my mugs at FI on Saturday. Stop by and we'll tip a mug to our newly toasty weather.

Wish I could, but I will be otherwise occupado, dancing my proverbial @$$ off.....

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2008 11:21 PM

I think I like the black 'n' brown the most too - if you can get the black matt or satin finish (I'm thinkin OMC moai) you're on to a winner!

Paipo, I would love to recreate the OMC Moai glazed look. We will see.
On another note, I am going to end the small list of folks who have reserved a mug. I don't want any future organizational challenges- I am challenged. So, if you have already specifically asked to be on the list, you're still on.
If everyone else could keep a look out in the market section for future release that would be great! Mahalo.

All I have to say is FINALLY!!!

On 2008-03-08 00:09, Atomicchick wrote:

All good tangs take time AC... :wink: Shhhwwwiiiing :o =POP!= :o and the crowd CHEERS! :D

On 2008-03-08 00:09, Atomicchick wrote:

Production of this mug has been plagued with technical difficulties, one mold moderation, and incapacitating hangovers.
I promise the next mug will roll out in a more timely fashion with more molds and some hard earned wisdom to kick it into gear. Thanks to anyone patiently waiting...

Still working on getting some more Kapulapu done, but here is a sneak peek at my newest mug, PALEMBEI - fresh out of the mold.

Obviously influenced by the art found along the Sepik River.

As usual, it will probably be awhile before these get into the marketplace.

You got one out, terrific, looking forward to see your glaze choices. How tall is this mug? It looks pretty large. Hope to see a few handpainted editions.

Lookin' good, Tiki Kaimuki! Nice to see you undertake the distinctive OA style!

I have to echo Cass on a hand-painted version, perhaps with a subtle underglaze!

Great work, Falin!

sandz

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Aug 13, 2008 4:38 PM

Sweet looking mug TK. He's obviously PNG in spirit, but has that quirky Poly-pop/cartoony vibe to him. You (and OO/Cass too for that matter) are great at interpreting your source material without aping the original artefacts. Putting it next to the first mug , and even though they're quite different, I can see a distinctive Tiki Kaimuki style developing.

Mahalo, OceaOtica and blacksandz, some detailed underglaze fun is definitely going to be part of the run. Of course, I will be bothering Cass for more tips.
Paipo, I'm glad you see a style forming. It's not conscious, I'm just working within my limitations and trying to make mugs that would make me excited as a collector. I think my next design will fit nicely with these two. Don't tell anyone, but it will be my own version of the skull- we all gotta have one!

Here's a new little shot glass guy I busted out because I had extra plaster when I was making my Palembei mold. No name yet...

I got the first batch of glazed Palembei mugs out of the kiln. Check out the fun flavors. You should see these in the marketplace tomorrow.

New photos...

handmade skull

PNG flat glaze

Mahalo for looking!

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2008-11-22 11:16 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2008-11-22 11:17 ]

Great work TK. The matte looks good, and it seems you got a handle on the dot work.

C

Still digging that blue Palembei I coveted at the crawl........the blue/brown is very cool, too!!!

Lovin' the skull, too - very nice & original skull design :)

T

The matte black, great. The hand made skull, great design nice glaze

B

Oooohhh, this is juicy! Mighty tasty! Huge thumbs up!

Mahalo OceaOtica, Croe67, and teaKEY for your kind comments. Things are starting to flow a bit better now. I'm trying to not lock myself into a certain number of any color, so it's more of artistic whim and in the end more fun- which is
why I started this venture.
Babalu, all that handbuilt stuff you're doing is completely amazing!!!

looking forward to breaking one in at Kona

The new mug has made it out. Witness the SKOAI...

Many different glazes to follow.

I love that rich brown glaze!

Pages: 1 2 79 replies