Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Many questions about starting my first tiki....

Pages: 1 7 replies

Hi all!

I am new to this group and would like to get suggestions about how to design a tiki carving. I know the obvious - get books! I have a few and some designs that I like, but what I don't know is if there are any "meanings" to details I should be aware of before I start. I know that in some cultures the shapes and designs have meanings.

Also, I notice a lot of difference in the design of Hawaiian tikis compared to Maori tikis. Can anyone enlighten me on the more traditional?

Lastly, I would like to know what a good first try medium is. I know that palm logs are the most traditional, but what do people who like tikis think of "fake stone" or cement tikis? The tiki is going to be outside, near my spa. I am trying to set up a little "island retreat" theme to enhance my relaxation.

I have too many ideas for what I want, and hopefully this information will help me sort it out and get started.

Thanks!

Dragonbane

You've certainly come to the right place.

As far as design goes, I'd suggest starting very simple. Moais are often a nice choice. They are often just nose, brows and mouth.

Palm is nice and easy to carve.

Concrete and fake stone projects usually turn out looking great.

Where are you located? If you're in SoCal, a group of us get together every month to carve. It's a great place to learn.

Thanks Tiki-Kate! I am in Orange County, Huntington Beach to be exact. Where do you meet? I would love to come and learn from others.

My current thinking is to create a cardboard model (or other material), make a plaster cast, and then a concrete tiki :) Seeing some carvings may help me with the design process.

Dragonbane

On 2007-05-25 18:09, dragonbane wrote:
Thanks Tiki-Kate! I am in Orange County, Huntington Beach to be exact. Where do you meet? I would love to come and learn from others.

Fabulous!

We float around the general vicinity of San Diego. (I'm one of the out-of-towners that comes down for the event every month.)

San Diego Chop Chop

We haven't set a date for June yet, but when we do, the thread will be updated.

B

A good book to use as reference for classic Hawaiian style carvings is called "Hawaiian Sculpture" by J. Halley Cox and William H. Davenport. Mine is practically falling apart now because I've looked at it so much!
http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Sculpture-J-Halley-Cox/dp/0824810694/ref=sr_1_1/105-4085734-6201262?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180406550&sr=1-1

As far as what material to make your Tiki out of, if you've got a killer design it can be made out of poo and no one will care (well, not really, but you know what I mean). :) A lot of carvers use palm wood because it's soft and readily available (in So Cal anyways). You can absolutely use concrete too. Whatever works well for you.

I agree with Kate about the Chop-Chops. They are a great place to get together with like minded people and make stuff!

We've picked a date for the June Chop. Hope you can join us.

Trailer Trash Chop in Lemon Grove-June 30th

M

Tikidav wrote: "if you've got a killer design it can be made out of poo and no one will care"

He said 'Poo'

Buhahahahaaaaa!

Welcome to TC Dragonbane!

Mahalo

McTiki

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jun 1, 2007 4:56 AM

On 2007-05-25 17:18, dragonbane wrote:
Also, I notice a lot of difference in the design of Hawaiian tikis compared to Maori tikis. Can anyone enlighten me on the more traditional?

Lastly, I would like to know what a good first try medium is. I know that palm logs are the most traditional, but what do people who like tikis think of "fake stone" or cement tikis? The tiki is going to be outside, near my spa. I am trying to set up a little "island retreat" theme to enhance my relaxation.

Hawaiian tikis are more traditional for the Hawaiian area, and in New Zealand the maori tikis are more traditional... :lol: :D

As far as the retro poly pop tiki bar thing, Hawaiian tikis are definitely far more common.

AAC (aerated concrete) is a great medium for beginners

Pages: 1 7 replies