Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Recent find at Gordmans

Pages: 1 10 replies

W

In the Memorial day flyer for Gordmans, they had some tiki statues listed. They range in price from $14.99 to 29.99. Three different sizes, including a small table, trash can and some neat bamboo stuff. I will tell you, that its made of plastic, but looks pretty good. Here is a picture of the $29.99 and $19.99 statues I picked up!

Tiki on!

Wesley Horton

The one on the left looks like he's wankin off.
And he's gotta Moe cut!

God Damn Wes!
You have been here since 2004, and your still buyin' this shit?
What the hell have you been doin' here?
What I think we have here is a Tiki Intervention.
This guy needs to be pulled back in.
Please, someone help me out here!

H

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

H

Unga I feel your pain.

Considering that Oklahoma is probably not rich in Tiki sightings, this might be the best they can get. Nevertheless, these ARE an example of Tiki Revival Devolution (to be differentiated from the earlier, 1970s, 'Tiki Devolution'), Asian import style.

From the upcoming 'Tiki Modern and the Wild World of Witco', page 284:

"Though modern Tiki style is an ersatz tongue-in-cheek phenomenon that is all about un-authenticity, not just any face with a toothy grin and zig zag lines on it deserves to be called a Tiki."

W

EEhhh GADS!

Hey, I never said it was GREAT tiki. . . (little slack please. . )

But Bigbrothertiki is right, the tiki pickings here in Oklahoma are embarrassingly slim. You can't even find tiki mugs or stuff at the local thrift shops.

As of late, We have to take what we can get!

Tiki intervention would be good. The new wife and I are trying to get down to Dallas and the re-opened Trader Vics. Life can be hard.

But hey, I am still regretting those days in the late 70's when you could go to the import store at the mall and get those colored glass floats for about a buck each.

[ Edited by: whorton 2007-05-29 03:36 ]

8T

Mrs. 8FT saw these candle holders at Gordmans within the last month. Didn't buy them but wanted to let you all know they are out there if they are to your taste. Priced in the teens I think.

P

As someone from Nebraska, I can admit to being awfully tempted to buy that nasty stuff on more than one occasion. I have avoided it for the most part, but I have some brightly-colored tiki lights from Target. We don't have much for authenticity around here and I don't get to the coasts nearly as much as I'd like. It's tempting sometimes, folks. We gotta deal with the scraps.

Ahhhhhhh it's the attack of the Tiki Nazi's.......

Not all of us are able to find or can afford to find the sweet Vintage Poly Pop Tiki stuff that is out there in in E-bay land or lucky enough to live where the Fake Tiki Vintage Poly Pop world was created to be able to snatch it up at swapmeets or thrift stores.

My "Tiki" Pop told me if I didn't have anything nice to say at least don't say anything mean!!!!

Pages: 1 10 replies