Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

fBalls outta Tiki Hibernation/// New Cuts- 10/26

Pages: 1 2 89 replies

Howzit, all?! Thanx for checkin' in. Heres a few newbies in progress. I gots to apologize if the pix are a bit fuzzy. Still tryin to get this photo thing down.

First pic is Smiley, HotHead, and Mr.Cheebah

And lastly KingCunnilingus

Maholla Back..!

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-06-21 18:43 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-06-21 19:50 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-07-09 20:04 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-07-10 08:18 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-07-12 06:52 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-09-12 15:50 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-09-12 15:51 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-09-19 16:11 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-11-19 11:26 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2008-02-04 13:13 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2008-02-05 17:25 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2008-02-26 12:03 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2008-03-26 13:15 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2008-03-26 20:06 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2008-03-27 08:28 ]

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2008-10-26 14:12 ]

I like those guys. What did you carve them out of?

AAAHH! I was just shootin you a PM, TK.... Thats crazy.. anyway. I usually carve my stuff outta driftwood from Lake Superior, But this stuff was given to me from a buddy of mine and I didnt even ask him.. I just busted the Exacto out and went to work.... Next will be the paint, etc. Thanx for the interest..
Dude!!....Luv dat new Mug comin Out!!

Very nice very very nice
Now the rest of the chess peaces...
When you finish them please posted
greetz Limo

[ Edited by: MAILMAN76 2007-05-31 07:27 ]

Those look GREAT!! I would try staining one of those (or a test piece of wood) before putting down the paint. If the wood is Basswood - you may get the desired effect that we spoke about. You can add paint after the stain and even stain after painting. keep them coming.

B

Beautiful pendants you're doing, Freddieball.
Keep up the good work.

Benjamin

Mr Cheebah rocks! Get those pups stained up! That's gonna be the icing on the cake!
looks like you're gettin mo' skills the mo' you carve,buddy! Right on!
Where's my stuffed squirrel?

C

Nice! are you planing a Traditional stain, or maybe some colors? Congrats!

cool Freedie!

Amy

right-on, bro- lookin real good. more!more!

Very funky FreddieB! Very marketable... :wink:

Tama

AloHa Balls!!
Nice work! Now I'm admirin' your pieces! Woooooo, go Ballzy!

Howzit, Everyone! I really appreciate you all checkin it.

Mailman, Benella, QueenK, Tama...Thanks a ton..U all Rock!
Kinney(LLT)... Thanx Meng! I'm still in search of the elusive Blk Squirrel....Im crashin in your studio in Aug. Hope U dont mind.:wink:
Thanx for your compliments AS-Tom.. Your da man..I really appreciate all the pointers, I'm sure i will be hollarin' for alot more help.
Clarita, Thanx to AlohaStation, Im gonna do some color details and then a classic stain.
GTPat, Always good talkin witchu. Thanx, Bro!

Got my paints,brushes,etc. Hope to have more pix soon.

CHEERS ALL!! Balls Out!

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-05-31 18:13 ]

B

Lookin' Great Freddi, you are Definitely getting better. Wew might graduade you to a Hook blade one of these days. keep up the good work. can you post some progress shots?

Yo, Surfin'....Dude, your 2 statues i got are still a couple of my prize possesions...I really appreciate the support,Bro.
Benzo...I dont think im nowhere near ready for the hook... Ill stick to the exacto for now...Lookin to still do some of my non-symetrical dremel pieces...but AlohaStation got me hooked on the Exacto.. I will post progress shots on these,with paint and stain, and I should have new ones comin this weekend. Thanx for your comments, Ben. I appreciate it.

Good job, Fred...you're getting a lot cleaner, man. I'd say yes on the Hook Knife too for what you're doing...Ben sold this old codger on that one for small wooden pieces at Coon Tiki.

I like the one with the sunglasses - Meaning the pict a few down from the carvings..
Cheers

you know it!

Howzit, everyone!!!
Bk- thanx for the props,,,still abit nervous about the lack of control wit the hook, but i will be buying one in the next couple days to give it a whirl.. Thanx for checkin' it.
Yo,Sneaky!! You Know It, fo' sure!!

Alright I finished up the first few. They still need a couple more coats of poly. Lemme know what you think.

Once again..if these are fuzzy, I apologize.

Here are 2 I did up today and added a lil' dark detail. The brushes will be next. Id appreciate some feedback on the first tiki's teeth....some white or straight stain. Thanx again everyone!!

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-06-05 17:58 ]

K
kirby posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2007 6:29 PM

either you have realy huge hands or that tiki is might small...good work balls...

K

Looking good Balz I am digging the smaller size and detail no wonder you loose them. Bout time you posted some of your carvings!!!!

B

Looking great Freddy. I Love how you are cleaning up the detail. Looking a Thousand times better than when you first started 20 years ago.

Lookin good. The colors came out great. Just the right balance of wood texture and color. Sorry about the drunken phone call - hope it helped.

C

Nice! The stain come out great I think! Congrats!

K

I am the proud owner of four Ballsomic originals. I love that they were carved from driftwood found on the shores of Lake Michigan. I always have a stellar time when I wear them. I am keeping a watch out for new pieces and I am looking forward to adding to my collection. You have a good-eye FB....carve it up....but be careful using that hook after sipping on the tropicals! Feast your eyes upon the tikis FB style......

B

I think you need to go SMALLER Freddi :), you are geting some mighty fine detail on those little guys. Are you weaving those shell cords? Nice job on those too!

Thanx for the kind words, Kim.. Im glad you like yours.. That Cyclops Savage is still one of my favorite pieces. Kingstiedye has one similar, but no 2 are the same. Big Ben, your words are always great, thanx for the props...
Well, here are a few more. I missed Hukilau, but I was still by the ocean in MyrtleBeach. It was relaxing and productive.

This first set are a few I did a few weeks ago while waitin for a client to show for an appointment. Punchy, MokoMoai, and ZombieTang.

The next is a Maori shrunken head that will have sewn lips and shell eyes. It is for a fellow TC Artist..You'll be wearin it SOON, Bro!!

These last 3 are the latest that I did down south in S.C. My 5 year old nephew (A-Balls) gave me inspiration as well as instructions as to the shapes of noses, etc. LOL.. Luv ya, Buddy!!
(the pendant w/ the base is supposed to look like a museum bust of a tikisavage)

Hope you all dig on these...Thanx again to everyone who checks out my goods.

FreddieB

These last ones are very cool. I especially like the the last one posted!! Guess you figured out your problem...

On 2007-06-22 10:12, AlohaStation wrote:
FreddieB

These last ones are very cool. I especially like the the last one posted!! Guess you figured out your problem...

Ditto: the mouth on the last is great. I like your use of colour too; enough to highlight certain areas but not overdone & plenty of wood left. Nice work.

Tama :)

Thanx Tom and Tama!! I really appreciate feedback from you guys. AS, I dont think any of these little guys would be possible if it weren't for your great advice and tips..
Thanx Again, Brothas!!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jun 26, 2007 3:37 AM

That's some sweet whittlin' there FBalls. You're packing a lot of great detail into a pretty tiny space with these guys. Are you still using found/drift wood for these or something else?

Thanx for the props, Paipo!! Glad Ur diggin em. I am using some driftwood, and mostly at this point i am using scrap wood from a friend...He does bath and kitchen remodels as well as home renovations. He puts all the scraps in a box for me and i chop up whatever works... I do still love workin on the driftwood....It tends to be a totally different feel/look.. I have peeps that love the new, very detailed pieces, BUT I also have people that LOVE the natural look of the driftwood pieces... Thats why I intend to keep producing both types. I love the fact that Greentikis pendant(Laced Maori) came from a piece of driftwood washed up on Lake Superior... That piece of wood probably has more miles traveled than most people.
Anyway,,,thanx for checkin in. I appreciate it greatly. Balls Out~

freddie! damn! that stuff is looking awesome, bro.love the shape my little guy is takin on. they all have some kick-ass form happening. can't wait! talk wit ya soon.

Rock on FreddieBallz!
Man!
I'm with everyone else on diggin the teeth/mouth of that last guy!
Zombie Tang is my hands down fave!
I like his jolly chubby nature and pose,and the expression on his face is priceless!,maybe he 's been hanging out with Mr. Cheebah! :lol:
Your color accents on some of these pieces is rippin too!
Your Maori Shrunken Head is gonna look BAZING! after you
get those stitches and shells on dere!
That museum base Savage is also pretty impressive!
Cool about your nephew!
Children can be a rad source of inspiration,man!
The stuff they come up is WHACK!
It appears you're gettin more mad skillz as each day passes!
Keep Carving man-you are on a roll!

B

Seriously Freddi, you are spending way too much time on these little guys and the Quality is really showing. I'm Seeing Much more tight detail and cool features than Ever before. And the Colors are a Big addition that really is a big improvement

Yo, I feel I haven't been on my link for awhile... Kinney, DuuuuuDe, Its always great talkin wit U... Cant wait to hang and get real, Homes.. GTP, I hope you dig your lil' bad Mf'er.. He's ready to be worn, Bro!
BigBenz.. I always appreciate your words.. You are the Yoda of this whole tiki carvin' thing.. I will always accept any comps, or criticizisms..Thank You for lookin.
Here are a couple I just finished up...I carved 'em this weekend and painted/stained today... One is a commission and the other will eventually go up to auction/marketplace. Check 'em

The next is for one of the coolest MF'ers around...U know who U are.
The eye seems to be glowin', just cuz its seaglass. Hope you all dig it!!!

Here is probably the last one for the week.. It is a commision for a young grasshoppa acouple towns over. It is modeled after the guy on the left of "Ritual of the Savage" by Les Baxter... Thanx for stoppin by.

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-07-12 06:51 ]

hey freddie!- what's the word, man? those guys are lookin cool, but i gotta say i'm a bit partial to that mokoed one!! where ya been? everything cool? how 'bout another pic of that one? want to see it better if i can't hold it yet!! hope you're good, bro.

Deeamn, where have I been?? I had to search waaay down the topics to find myself. Hope everyone is doin' well. GTP..Always good talkin witchu, glad you like your new badlil'Balls. Its all U! I had chopped up a Lono style tiki,but it got lost. I really should start goin' bigger. Hopefully, AlohaStation called it and I will find it in laundry or under a piece of furniture.. I got a new one I just finished up. Here are a couple shots as it was sanded~

painted w/some stain~

and finished

This last piece is one I finished up awhile ago.. Im thinkin im gonna make a mens earring out of it. I'm sure someone will dig it. Its about 1".
Alright, all.. Thanx for stoppin' by. Maholla!!

Damn - now thats small! They look great - keep choppin.

Thanx, Big T. I started a new one tonight,, Hopefully I can get some pix up in a day or 2. Drop me aline, we gotz to talk shop. Hope all is good on your end. fB

C

they are getting littler and littler but the volume is bigger and bigger,great!

B

Yes, Welcome Back Balls, glad to see you haven't quit carving. I'd really love to see the lono version as there are folks 'round heere who think we need to be carvin g more traditional tiki and they may be right If you have the ability so give it a try or not, we luv ya either way.

Thanx Clarita for the kind words. I will be postin' on your thread as that new candleholder is off the hook. The el fuego I gots gets heavy rotation.
Benzo, I appreciate the welcome back!
I just finished this guy up today. I used colors that were used on one of my favorite pieces from my bro, Keigs. The bongo player has the white,red, and yellow on his headress and it gels great.. So I gave one of my lil' mf'ers the same.

The next is one I cant wait to sand and start addin' some stain and paint....
Im doin him in another one of my museum bust styles... Lemme introduce the Ku in Training... Hope u enjoy. Thanx for lookin'

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-09-19 16:09 ]

Crazy Small! Those are awesome!

Man those are cool! What next, toothpicks?

Thanx to everyone who dropped aline and checked these out. Here are a couple of new ones I got finished up recently.. First is the Italian Omerta-Tiki and a Superior Savage~

The next two are a couple of my favorites.. Im thinkin a chess set of these lil' badboys would be kinda cool.

This last one is a bit bigger and just got started on him this weekend. Thanx for lookin' !!

Freddie, those are looking great. Are you trying to win a prize for who can carve the smallest??

Thanx A-S....Only if the prize comes from your hook knife! :)

Pages: 1 2 89 replies