Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Backyard Tiki beginning

Pages: 1 35 replies

U

This is what I have done so far. The Bora-Bora thatch should be here tomorrow and it should start to look more "Tiki" My plans are for a bar off the side and some counters around the inside. Please feel free to offer any tips or let me know what I can do to help make my backyard our Tropical paradise. I really like the idea of a fire breathing volcano with fireglass leading into a pond.
Thanks in advance for any advice

New pics. Thatch looks very cool and pretty easy to install.

[ Edited by: ualpow 2007-06-03 10:51 ]

Welcome to Tiki Central!

This is a great start...be sure to post more pics as this progresses.

U

I added pics but didn't know how to get the post bumped up. I guess when I update my post I will reply instead of editing.

TD

Nice Start!
Where did you get your thatch from?

U
ualpow posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2007 2:48 AM

The thatch is made by palmex-international. I bought it from golden global in Florida.

T

I was also interested in the thatch...

Here's a contact:
http://www.palmex-international.com/thatchroof_tikihut.php

U
ualpow posted on Fri, Jun 8, 2007 7:53 AM

Well, I was not done with the roof when the big winds hit here in Chicago area. I was a little worried about the structure with the 45mph gusts. The thatch held up fine and the structure just shook a little during the strongest gusts. I opted for the "windclips" from Global and they really held down the leaves. Only the Hip cap leaves flipped up and that was because the whole roof is not installed yet. I have 5 more rows of roof to put on and then I can start the interior.

U

Here are some pics with the roof done. Now for the bar and counters.
I am looking for advice on the bartop. Leaning toward a dark highly figured wood with marine varnish over some pictures and tiki items.

U

This is the bar, so far. One coat of Man-o-war spar varnish, many more to go. Also need to build cabinet doors and add some trim to hide the L-Brackets.

Nice work ualpow. :)

Are you attending Exotica in July?

I'm currently carving for the event and will be bringing large and small tikis, masks and various other great tiki creations to just about your doorstep.

If you can't make it, let me know if you might be looking for anything... I deliver!

K

Awesome Tiki Hut!

Like the Dura Thatch Roof. I'm oscilating between Dura Thatch or Syn Thatch right now.......

Is the bar built from the Tiki Kev plan? I'm building the same one. So far so good. Would have been nice to have a measured diagram of the whole project instead of so many paragraphs.

Added the electric last night. Then to the upright poles which stick out of the middle of the bar. Using
T-111 for the front and sides. Will probably use some cedar for trim work inside the bar. The roof should be a real challenge.

Really shaping up...

What are you doing for the bar top?

May I suggest a glass tile mosaic??

U

Thanks for the compliments. Lakesurfer, I will try to get to exotica and yes I am looking for carvings and masks.
Tikitammy, My wife really likes your bar top but I think we are going with a pour over some tiki trinkets we found at hobby lobby. I have read some horror stories of bar top pours gone bad so we are not sure yet. Maybe lexan cut to fit inside the edge trim?

Ualpow,
it looks like you arrrr doing a meticulous job on your tiki tavern. Its fun to watch the magic unfold--looking swell!

U
ualpow posted on Wed, Jul 4, 2007 9:23 AM

Well, The major work is done. Now for the details like bamboo trim, Hula lamps etc. We had a party on the 30th and it was a great time. Everybody complimented me on the "hut" which made me feel pretty good. The wife and I sat under the hut while it poured down rain last night, not a drop through the dura thatch roof! Here are a couple of pics for your critiquing and ideas. Still need to put the marine varnish on everything.

Looking good and putting it to good use for the fourth I see!!! Love the Aloha rock formation in the garden. Nice work. :)

G

Beautiful! Fantastic! And helps me with my own setup...

TL

Looking real good.Keep the work going and updated us as you progress.

Fantastic tiki hut and bar! And great mosaic, I may do something like that.. we have a raised patio that needs a tiki hut and a curved wall that needs a mosaic..

You people are so freaking talented!!

LD

Rock on that is a heck of a nice DIY tiki bar! My hats off to you, good job.

U

I added a ceiling fan and some rope lights(i know please be nice). The shades were needed for late afternoon sun.
Does anyone have a suggestion for outdoor heat? I have a Natural Gas disconnect outside but electric would be ok to. I am going to surround the lower half with bamboo fencing and probably continue the shades all the way around to help keep some heat in. I would really like to extend my enjoyment into November.

U

Ok it's building time again in Chicago. I need help deciding the best way to enclose the lower part of our hut. I was going to use texture plus panels but it would be way too expensive. We want the vertical bamboo look. It will be seen from inside as well as outside the hut. Has anyone made "bamboo" panels themselves? I have tried to find the roof panels that are wave like (round as opposed to the angled ones) I could paint these to look like bamboo. If anyone has any ideas please speak up, I am open to all ideas.

S
sungod posted on Tue, Apr 8, 2008 8:24 PM

Looks good and everything, but I think you need to check the ID of those two guys at the bar. Something tells me they may not be 21!

TZ

This may be the sort of "wave" roofing panel you are talking about:

It is an asphalt/fiberglass product called Ondura. Available at Lowes in 4X5 panels. I've used it for roofing and the specs say it can be used in a vertical application as well. A bit soft, however, and might be subject to getting kicked.

Another option is to use OSB or some other exterior rated panel, paint it brown and then cover it on both sides with bamboo or reed fencing.

[ Edited by: Tiki Zen 2008-04-09 06:18 ]

H

Nice looking so far. Page 8 of my thread shows how I did my bar front with OSB-painted black-then attached bamboo splits. You could do similar but you might have to use something more suitable for outdoors, like PT exterior ply instead of the OSB.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=20343&forum=18&start=105

U

Sungod, When they are outside with their sister the Margarita machine becomes a snow cone maker.

Tiki Zen, I looked at that at local store. was tempted to try it but I don't think the "waves" are Round enough to get a pole look. I may buy a piece today to try anyway. I will let you know how it works.

Howland, What can I say....except kick ass job on your bar/room. You have a wonderful ability to make your ideas into reality. I like the slat idea but I have 37 linear feet of 3' tall run to cover, both sides. I may end up cutting PVC into thirds and painting it like my vertical posts. I like the idea of the exterior plywood painted black. Would give a good base and block the wind during our cooler months.

Please keep the ideas coming. The more ideas posted the more something may click in someones head. Thats how I got started my project.

Aloha

Beautiful job!! Amazing, really.

That is AWESOME!! I want to put one of those in my backyard. The only difference is mine will be free standing. If you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost minus any labor fees? I was quoted $2500.00 for a simple free standing cover w/o a roof. Who did you use for the thatch? How weather proof is it? I am in So. Cal and am really only concerned with the ability to withstand some occasional rain. I will post some pics of what I am working with when the sun comes up. Thank You

U
ualpow posted on Tue, May 6, 2008 7:25 PM

The Bora Bora thatch was the most expensive part. I think it was around 2200.00 from Golden Global out of Florida. They sell a cheaper version called Domingo (not sure of the price) that you install on roof sheathing. The Bora Bora looks real from both sides, the Domingo you only see the outside.
It is UV safe, and as long as you follow the installation guide, rain will not go through it. I love sitting out there with a home brew while it is pouring down. Watching the rain drip off of the palm fronds is very relaxing. I did have one spot that dripped because I ran short of the hip pieces, but a dab of clear silicone solved that. I think the total cost for materials was around 3000.00. Its just Pressure treated lumber, 4" PVC, Paint, etc. Labor was cheap, just me. Well the Wahine helped with the painting of the "bamboo" poles.
I started putting 6" log siding around the lower 4' and it looks more like a "Tiki Room" now. We are going to paint some simulated bamboo knuckles on the siding when it's all installed.
I need advice on a Volcano fireplace with water running down orange/red fireglass into a bed of fireglass at the bottom. I also want a cascading sheet of water in front on the fireplace opening.
Any creative ideas???? I need help with this one.

U

Well I did some more work this spring. The Wahine made the signs. I decided to use log siding vertically to simulate bamboo. Still need to add the growth rings. With the lower half of the hut enclosed and the shades down it is a very cool room. We also stained the floor with a reddish concrete stain. Found a heater at the local bulk type store which should extend our time well into October. I'm done building for this year. From now on it's just partying!

S

Great work on the signs. Like the way the outside panels came out. Sit back and have a drink for all of us. Enjoy it!!!

That's great. I bet it's real easy to drift away and feel those warm ocean breezes after a few Mai Tai's out there under the thatch!

Excellent work, excellent details... but it'll scare the sh**t out of the realtor if you go to sell it (no imagination, those guys).

U

I built it with intentions of it being able to take it down. I used screws and lag bolts for all of the construction. If a perspective buyer doesn't want it I will bring it with if/when we move.

S

Hey I'm a Realtor and I would love to show a house with such a cool tiki bar, but that's just me.

RH

Sorry, I didn't mean every realtor, I meant every OHIO realtor!

SLAM!

Pages: 1 35 replies