Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Fruits (and Veggies) of Summer! (With photos!)

Pages: 1 35 replies

Every summer I look forward to a few things: Backyard get-togethers, longer days, and my birthday (Gemini baby here), of course.

I also really really REALLY look forward to sugar snap peas. I love them. When they are in season, I'll eat them at every meal and in-between, given my druthers. Yes, I've had a bowl of them for breakfast instead of a bowl of cereal.

Biggest issue, they're expensive. I'm buying them in-season, IN California, and they will still run me about $5 a pound.

This year, I set about making our front yard into a WWII-era victory garden, planting fruits, veggies and the medicinal herbs a mid-century housewife would desire, from seed.

When I went seed shopping last February, you know what I picked out first. That's right, sugar snap peas. I went on to also choose carrots, parsley, basil, lettuces, tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic chives, and midget cantaloupes, but that's another story; we're discussing my sugar snap peas right now.

I started my seeds inside, in this "incubation" tray that hold 100 seedlings. The pack of pea seeds had 50 and I started all 50 of those seeds, leaving the rest of the tray to 5 of this, 3 of that, etc. Within about 8 days, I started seeing growth. My little pea seeds were sprouting and glorious! I gave them another month or so, to be inside during the last of our freezing cold nights. In the end, 42 of the 50 seeds sprouted. I planted them in my yard, against the inside of our wooden fence, the third week of March.

They were happy! I'd go out and weed and visit with them. By the first week in April, they were already 2 feet tall, but not flowering. "That's ok," I told them, "just work on your root structures, my dears, we have all summer to flower." Sadly, the slugs moved in and I lost about 4 plants. Outraged, I fought back hard with copper banding and beer baits. The slugs never knew what hit 'em.

By the first week of May, they were taller than the 3 and 1/2 foot fence they were growing on, and I had to put up a trellis. By this time, I was being rewarded with the sweetest little flowers. They didn't have a scent like their cousin, the sweet pea. Nor were they pretty pastel colors, just white, but I loved them anyway. I knew what they would become. I would wait with anticipation.

When they got to be 7 feet tall, I got a little nervous, but I didn't fear because they were making my beloved Snap Pea.

And make them they do! For the last two weeks, I've gone out every 3 or 4 days and harvested my sweet organic green gold. I'm averaging just about a pound a harvest. I couldn't be happier....

Books just want to be free! See what I mean at BookCrossing.Com

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-03-25 10:11 ]

J

I love Sugar Snap Peas too! At this moment, I'm really glad that I know where you live and when you're not home! :wink:

I'm on a grow-yer-own potato tip this year, after we visited a seed potato event and ended up with 8 seed tatties. They are growing well in buckets outside our flat but were almost destroyed by pea sized hailstones yesterday.

Hmmph! I don't think I've ever seen a potato seed. Are they in those sprouty things that potatoes get after a while?

B
Bincho posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 7:25 PM

Hiya-

I just am inside from a day of yardwork- Nate (my 4 year old) and I planted two varieties of pumpkins for Halloween- (Thinking ahead!) some roma tomatoes and a slew of basil and mint- (We have a thriving big patch of mint which I transplant) Pesto and cocktail garnishes hopefully soon.

I really miss my big Lemongrass patch in San Fran--Anyone see lemongrass in the Bay are let me know-- (It is awesome for seasoning and makes a nice foliage if left alone)

[ Edited by: Bincho 2007-06-02 19:25 ]

On 2007-06-02 11:42, Haole'akamai wrote:
Hmmph! I don't think I've ever seen a potato seed. Are they in those sprouty things that potatoes get after a while?

Almost, they are special small potatoes that you allow to grow the sprouty things and then plant and you buy them off hairy hippies when your stuck in a small country town with a hangover before the pubs open to sell you more lovely but strange bitter or hard-hard-hard cider.

If your intrested in growing some of your own next year a great site is HERE.

H
Heath posted on Sun, Jun 3, 2007 10:37 AM

On 2007-06-03 07:07, atomictonytiki wrote:

On 2007-06-02 11:42, Haole'akamai wrote:

Almost, they are special small potatoes that you allow to grow the sprouty things and then plant and you buy them off hairy hippies when your stuck in a small country town with a hangover before the pubs open to sell you more lovely but strange bitter or hard-hard-hard cider.

If your intrested in growing some of your own next year a great site is HERE.

Damn dirty hippies taking advantage of your weakened state to sell you old, moldy potatoes!

CL

As kids we put sprouting garlic in the ground and it grew. Maybe just luck or that's the way it's supposed to work. I always thought it worked the same for potatoes.

I certainly miss my annual herb and tomato garden. Haole'akamai, you've inspired me! Off to gardening I go when we get back from Vegas! :wink: I'm even going to try growing my fave, fava beans! :D

MT

On 2007-06-03 13:28, Coco Loco wrote:
As kids we put sprouting garlic in the ground and it grew. Maybe just luck or that's the way it's supposed to work. I always thought it worked the same for potatoes.

I certainly miss my annual herb and tomato garden. Haole'akamai, you've inspired me! Off to gardening I go when we get back from Vegas! :wink: I'm even going to try growing my fave, fava beans! :D

But if we put in a garden, then where in the world will we place our full size replica bamboo water wheel feature from the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse?

Good to hear about the sugar snap peas, Haole'akamai, I can't wait to sample a few from ya. Did you plant any corn? Nothing like good ol' sweet homegrown corn on the cob during a summer bbq. And hey, no lime tree? You guys are gonna need lots'o limes for the Hinky Drinks bar!

J

I'm thinking about seeing if my thumb has turned from black to green when I wasn't looking. So here are my considerations:

• I have no outdoor space, so anything I grow must be able to grow indoors (I do have a south-facing, sunny window in the kitchen).
  • I have a small space, and very limited success in growing anything, so I want to start small.
  • I'm thinking I'd like to grow things I can use in food and drinks, like mint and lemongrass.

Any thoughts, suggestions, things I should think about? And does anyone in the Bay Area have a lemongrass plant they're willing to sacrifice a small piece of to get me started?

Mahalo!!

Sunny window are perfect for herb gardens, as you already were leaning toward.

I've even seen kits. Ch-ch-ch-Chia!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chia-Pet-Windowsill-Herb-Garden-FRESH-SEEDS-GOOD-TO-09_W0QQitemZ180100815915QQcmdZViewItem

Well, I have tragic news.

Apparently while I was tending to other things, I let a case of powdery mildew run rampant over my peas.

I know.

***You know I know! ***

So anyway, I decided they were too far gone and I cut down all the peas.

Oh G-d, it hurts just to write that.

I thought alot of the peas would be totally worthless, since the skins looked like hell, but I cracked a few open, ate the peas inside and they were quite tasty. I salvaged as much as I could, getting a little under two pounds in total.

Here a photo of most of the last harvest.

It's still early enough in the season, I'm going to dry and replant some of the peas. Maybe I can get them going again. We'll see.

Sigh,
~T

When one door closes...

I guess my lemon cucumber patch felt bad for me...

White Strawberries!!

These guys are in planters hanging on the fence that faces the gate into our backyard. They've yet to get put on the dripline, which I think lead to the strawberries being so small. Of course, this is my first experience with the white variety, so maybe they just grow to this size.

Hangin out under the Lychee Tree, hurray! I helped a friend I work with pick a bunch of lychee off her tree in exchange for a bag full of them! You can read more about the harvestin' of these magical tropical fruits over atBarefoot Bloggin'.

Them peas, stawbz and cukes are lookin pretty tasty too Halole'akamai. Summer taste good! I sure do miss the taste of freshly picked peaches, plums and nectarines. But making up for it with mangoes and papayas. I sstill haven't found a star fruikt tree though.

yum!
Farmer Chongz

Oh, Chongo! What a pleasure to have tree-ripened lychee.

Hmmmmm, prolly can't send any to me, can you? :(

C

I can bring you some seeds! Not sure how well they would do in the Bay area but might be furn to try.

Chongz

Picked fresh this morning:

Lemon Cucumbers!!!

Forbidden Island will be featuring them as part of the garnish in our Bloody Mary, as well as one of our Summer Drink Specials, Th Authentic Pimms Cup!

sidenote: the three little green things on top are from my (what I thought was an ornamental) pear tree. I heard that pears need to ripen off the tree, so I'll let them do that and let ya know how they taste.

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2007-07-27 15:18 ]

Look what I found... two Wild Lilikoi! (yellow passion fruit)

and I recieved a down payment for some design work in the form of a just picked fresh organic Kona Sugarloaf pineapple

All were ONOLICIOUS!! IF you want the backstory, click on the links above and read Barefoot Bloggin'

I started planting my some of my seeds today! Carrots, dill, parsley, swiss chard and lettuces went into the front yard.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

What a great garden you have Haole Akamai. I don't have the green thumb you do but I try to grow my mint, basil and tomatoes. We have some great farmers markets here in Ventura county and I like to support our local growers. Barbara Kingsolver writes about farmers markets and personal gardens in her new book that is enlighting.

Omigod! The pineapple photo...that looks good. Fresh cut pineapple is so yummy.

Yep, Sure does! Hey, Chongo, any Sugarloaf this year? (When is growing season?)

Here's a few snaps of the veggies went into the yard yesterday:

The first set of Salad (or Sallit) Burnet:

The larger plant at the bottom of the photo is the Salad Burnet I planted last year. I never knew about it until I happen to come across a 4" start of it at, I think, Annie's Annuals.

and (fanfare, please) THIS YEAR'S PEAS ARE IN!!!

These are ones still inside:

First column is heirloom lettuces. The covered bin has a second crop of Salad Burnet, Arugala, and Lemon Basil. Below that is more Arugala. Next, at the top is Cucumbers and more Salad Burnet (Sugar Bunn, loves the Salad Burnet. I think it's tasty, too). Below, Basil and the last little tray has Purple Romagna Artichokes.

If anyone want's some veggies starts, I've got a few!

How did I miss this post?!.

Cool!

Well, I have (tragic? It is to me...) news: The snails and slugs on the grounds of Lund Manor ran rampant last night. They decimated massive numbers of new plantings.

The (death?) toll includes: 4 cucumber seedlings, 9 basil seedlings, 2 snap pea seedlings, and all 25 lettuce plantings.

No photos of the carnage; I was crying too hard to work a camera. It was truly a sad morning at Lund Manor...

On 2008-03-31 10:49, Haole'akamai wrote:
Well, I have (tragic? It is to me...) news: The snails and slugs on the grounds of Lund Manor ran rampant last night. They decimated massive numbers of new plantings.

The (death?) toll includes: 4 cucumber seedlings, 9 basil seedlings, 2 snap pea seedlings, and all 25 lettuce plantings.

No photos of the carnage; I was crying too hard to work a camera. It was truly a sad morning at Lund Manor...

Is that going to be a year-round thing; or is it just the season for it?

You've probably seen my AeroGarden. That's just a kind of fun kitchen counter or living room accessory. Here's a link to the real deal. If you have a room in your house that you can dedicate to it, you can extend your indoor season indefinitely and plant outside when it's safe. This is the one I'll get the latest and greatest of when I have the space.

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2008-03-31 13:25 ]

On 2008-03-31 13:23, The Gnomon wrote:

Is that going to be a year-round thing; or is it just the season for it?

We've got snails and slugs year-round, although just like everything else, Spring is the time for multiplying. I, uh, was being lazy by planting before I put out beer-traps. So, I really should have been that surprised.

I know, I know. I've brought this on myself.

On a bright side, I am thrilled to announce I noticed just yesterday that our Banana has sent up it's first bloom (it has been three summers since it went in the ground)!

I hope we actually get a warm enough summer to have bananas by the end of it.

Build a 3 sided shelter with Polarizing corregate from Home Depot. Will make tha nanners go off in un-cool temps!

Nice garden....I love planting myself.

I had a pot belly pig a long time ago. He got into my garden, dug out all the carrots and ate a bunch of my tomatoes. Pigs, snails, slugs.....those rat *astards!

Here's a picture of some of my tomatoes from my veggie garden a few years back...I stuck my foot near the zuc and a matchbook by the tomatoes for size comparison

Those tomatoes are really nice! The Zucchini, though, scares me. You didn't try to eat it, did you?

Our first hand of bananas is showing!

I had my first experience eating one of these prickly morsels last night that my roommate had brought home. These alien looking things are called Soursops and kind of taste like a sour green apple with a chewy custard like flesh. Delicious! Also, lots of mangos and lychee poppin' up at the farmers markets and roadside stands.

Myspace
Barefoot bloggin'

Red,

The black Taro is loving it's white Taro buddies!

will post pics in near future.

MAhalos again for dat!

Just adding an update. Our Blue Java (aka Ice Cream) Banana sent up two more blooms. They peeked out while we were away at Tiki Oasis 8. Here they are more fully ripened:

You can see the blooms (with hands extended) in the upper right and left hand corners of the photo. We used bamboo poled lashed together to help support the bunches as they grow heavy.

Here's a photo of what I harvested this morning from our front yard:

Clockwise, starting in the upper left corner, we've got Italian Parsley, Dwarf Carrots, Golden Cherry and Hawaiian Currant Tomatoes, Garlic Chives and Borage, with Lemon Cucumbers and Pears from our (Ornamental) Pear tree in the middle.

Nature is great!

On 2008-06-05 12:41, Chongolio wrote:
I had my first experience eating one of these prickly morsels last night that my roommate had brought home. These alien looking things are called Soursops and kind of taste like a sour green apple with a chewy custard like flesh. Delicious! Also, lots of mangos and lychee poppin' up at the farmers markets and roadside stands.

Don't know how I missed this earlier. In South American they're called GuanĂ¡banas. At one time they were my favorite fruit, but that was a long time ago when I could get them fresh. They have aphrodesiacal properties you know. On a hot day there is nothing quite as pleasant and refreshing as a tall, icy glass of fresh guanabanada.

The first banana blossom on MaiTai Hill has started to show:

Let's hope for an Indian Summer, so this year's crop actually ripens.

So, we planted a Banana tree three seasons ago and finally, it set fruit that came to, ehem, fruition! Considering we're in zone 9, we feel blessed to even have the Bananas send out blooms, let alone set fruit.

The bananas themselves are only about 4 inches long, but each of the hands has about 6 bananas, and we have 7 hands total! And, although we had to wait about 3 to weeks to ripen once we cut them down, they;re very tasty.

Pages: 1 35 replies