Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Stained Glass Bamboo, 03-20-08

Pages: 1 17 replies

He's here! Stained glass tiki #1! After many months of kicking around the idea of making stained glass tikis I finally to decided buckle down and make one. To start off with I plan to make a series of small (8 to 11 inches tall) suncatcher style tikis and make them available for sale (pricing will be difficult as it took me WAY too long to put this little guy together). At a later date I may make some larger window panels. For these first ones, though, I went with the suncatcher style because they will easily hang in your windows as opposed to a large stained glass panel, the price to ship should be reasonable and they will be easy to ship without fear of damage.

Sorry for the bad picture. I had to throw it into the scanner because my wife is out of town with the camera. I'll post sunlit pictures later so you can see how neat he glows.

So, what do you think? Would this cute little guy look great hanging in your window? Any particular styles you would like to see?

Thanks,

Chris

Here he is with some sunlight behind him. His big red eyes are starting to creep me out!

[ Edited by: La Esquina Del Tiki! 2007-06-02 07:00 ]

[ Edited by: La Esquina Del Tiki! 2007-06-07 15:08 ]

[ Edited by: La Esquina Del Tiki! 2007-06-07 15:10 ]

[ Edited by: La Esquina Del Tiki! 2008-03-20 15:03 ]

I LOVE IT!!!! Nice job for your first tiki....keep em coming. :D

Thanks Vampiress! Can't wait to do more... Stay tuned.

Really nice work there. I would love to replace the fake(stick on) glass panels we have in our living room with some tiki inspired glass. Looking forward to seeing more work!

On 2007-06-02 14:45, TIKI KAIMUKI wrote:
Really nice work there. I would love to replace the fake(stick on) glass panels we have in our living room with some tiki inspired glass. Looking forward to seeing more work!

Thanks Tiki Kaimuki. Maybe someday I could help you out with the fake stained glass in your living room.

Chris

C

Hola la esquina del Tiki! Nice work!

¡Eso es muy bueno! What a great idea!

Mrs Hoptiki

Well done! Using the vertically grained brownish glass simulates the wood grain of a real tiki, brilliant!

Great design and glass color choices!

Thanks for the great comments everyone! As I've been looking at it I think the red eyes make it look a bit too alienish. So I was thinking the next tiki will be just browns to reflect the "carved from wood" look.

I'll also update the picture so you can see him with some light behind him.

Chris

What a cool stained glass piece.... This is the first I've seen this thread. Colors and design are cool too. Thanks for posting.

On 2007-06-11 07:50, Sam Gambino wrote:
What a cool stained glass piece.... This is the first I've seen this thread. Colors and design are cool too. Thanks for posting.

Thanks again Sam.

The stained glass is great, I can't wait to see more from you.

On 2007-06-11 10:48, frostiki wrote:
The stained glass is great, I can't wait to see more from you.

Thanks Frostiki. Hopefully it won't be too long before I post my next one.

Chris

After some encouragement from Mr and Mrs Cheeky Half I have decided to do some design studies in stained glass.

First is some bamboo. Here it is after intial rough cutting. I am doing this free-from, working only from a sketch. I will grind these to fit and will assemble them, then start cutting glass for some dead bamboo in the background, and then finally some black glass to represent the darkness deep in the bamboo forest.

Mahalo,

LED Tiki

I love the stained glass bamboo. the colors in the glass are beautiful cant wait to see finished peice. I want sum for my house! dawn

Alright LED, you are well on your way! Keep us updated on your progress!

Thanks Sophista-tiki and Cheeky!

Here is a progress pic. The pole on the left has been ground, wrapped in foil, and soldered together. I tried getting a pic with natural light behind it but I'm struggling with that so I'll keep posting pics with it on a fluorescent light table.

Enjoy and mahalo!

LED Tiki

Pages: 1 17 replies