Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum

Pages: 1 9 replies

One of my other passions in life is Ancient Egypt. I have collected books and decorum from that era for years. I am in the process of decorating my master bedroom in Egyptian genre....I'll post pictures when I get further along.

I have always wanted to go to the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum and know some of my friends would be interested in visiting it as well. I was wondering if any TCers would be interested in getting a group together to visit the museum and then go out to lunch at a local restaurant afterwards?

If you are interested in a group trip to the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum, please post which Saturdays would work best for you and how many people would be in your party.

I have this print at the end of my upstairs hallway. I bought it at an estate sale 25 years ago and it seemed really old when I bought it. It's called Cleopatra's Barge.

It's marked Heliotype James R Osgood & Co Boston. The artist might be Gautier?

Here's detail from the print. I have a couple of replica canopic jars and a frieze reproduction from a tomb. Not enough that I'd call it a collection but I find the Egyptian stuff interesting. I'd go to the museum but it'd be a hike for me. Have fun!

Of course I can't afford any real things from that era so have reproductions...many from Design Toscano. Their Egyptian stuff is very nice. I plan on doing some hieroglyphics on the walls too....so that will take me a while.

What a neat print!!! Wish you could make it to California for the museum....I am looking forward to visiting there. :)

When I said I had a couple of replica canopic jars I didn't mention that they're from Design Toscano. My mother-in-law went to Egypt and brought back the replica frieze. The funny thing is she went all the way to Egypt and the frieze is probably for sale somewhere like Design Toscano. My wife went to Costa Rica a couple of months ago and she brought back this cool set of windchimes made from coconuts. Three weeks after she got back I went to Bass Pro Shops and saw the same set of windchimes. Anyways I had this print of Cleopatra's barge and for some reason I've always really liked it. It seemed lonely though so I bought the canopic jars to keep it company. Then my mother-in-law brought back the frieze from Egypt and so now it's getting dangerously close to a "collection". Another collection could disrupt the delicate domestic balance. In other words, "any more crap in the house and you're sleeping in the shed."

Well then....do the shed in Egyptian. :lol:

B

I have some bizarro experiences of the Rosecrucian temple in Manhattan-- (I used to go undercover into cults and religious organizations for contribution to the ole' college newspaper) ask me about it when I see you!

The Museum is in a part of San Jose called the Rose Garden. It's got a wonderful grounds to just hang out with friends, to sketch or do watercolor, OR to be alone and sort the problems of the world out. There are often people smoking spleef there...but that's sort of risky in this day and age.

They have an exceptional collection of fountains, pools and statuary combined with subtropical plants, and Araucaria trees, it's really worth a visit. The beautiful grounds really would be better as a bar than some kooky group like the Rosecruitians, but...it's nice the way it is.

Several years ago I was removed for wrapping myself in toilet paper and sneeking up behind people...

If you are going to meet there, you need to visit the nearbye Martini Monkey, and Japan Town's Hukilau for drinks, and some chow.

Also Smoke Tiki is close bye, and if you are feeling a bit spendy, E&O Trading Co.

Keep us posted when this clam bake is to take place.

Thanks for the great ideas. I was just checking out the Martini Monkey and that would sure be worth a visit too. We could do the museum and then hit a local restaurant and finish up with a visit to the airport for a cocktail. I would love to coordinate this San Jose encounter, so hope some folks will post their interest here.

Martini Monkey

There are some plans which might change the arrangement in Terminal C of the SJ Airport placing the Martini Monkey BEHIND security. Best to plan a visit before the end of July.

I hope it's just a passing idea, but it would be the typical ironic thing...in the name of security to make a cultural icon of mirth, pleasure and free spending offlimits to the public.

There are also a few tropical bars in Hotels kinda by the airport...they lack charachter, but are better than Dennys.

Crapola....may have to miss the bar then...cause most weekends are already planned through the summer for folks. I am thinking more like a early November event (since not many peole have things planned for that time). Hope to hear from more people, in case anyone wants to make ti down there before...like you say "another one bites the dust."

Pages: 1 9 replies