Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

My tiki lounge

Pages: 1 7 replies

My brother built me a fabulous tiki bar, the front of which is a combination of bamboo and barkcloth, and I hand stenciled the top in leopard print. I don't dine much, but I do like to relax with cocktails and enjoy my collection of tiki, mid-century, and kitschy items, so my dining room is now my tiki lounge. I do have a nice 50's dining table in there for good measure, but that's the only remnant of "dining" in the room! :D

Here are some photos:

This is a photo of just the bar while it was still under construction, please excuse the extension cord! I know the lighting in the photos above was a bit off so I want to give an idea of how the jewel of the room looks on its own. ^_^

I hope that this was the appropriate location to post this thread, it seems like it's where other folks have posted photos of their home tiki projects. Please let me know if it is not and I will be happy to delete and repost in the appropriate location.

Thanks!
Trase

Trase
Purveyor of Contrariwise Notions
Excellence in Mischief since 1970
http://www.myspace.com/trasenstine

[ Edited by: trasenstine 2007-06-08 11:17 ]

Nice kitsch collection! Your bar really does make the space.
Thanks for sharing!
ST

The leopard print stencil looks nice. I like it. What's with the fire sign? Is that your capacity? Did you get rated by the fire marshall?

On 2007-06-08 16:08, khan_tiki_mon wrote:
The leopard print stencil looks nice. I like it. What's with the fire sign? Is that your capacity? Did you get rated by the fire marshall?

Thanks very much! :)

Hehe, the fire sign is from an estate sale, it's from the 50's sometime and was distributed by the Hamtramck, MI department notifying residents to "call in case of fire, no matter how small." The numbers are the old R-4278 style, it's pretty neat. Plus my dad has developed a real issue with firefighters and gets all riled up at the thought of them, so it was a pretty funny sign to have out that weekend as I had them over. :wink: I'm a naughty kid!

M

Love the bar! The lighting fixtures are awesome.

MZOLTARP
http://TelstarLounge.blogspot.com

Excellent blend of bamboo and kitsch. The bar is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your pictures. :)

You can´t go wrong with leopard!
But those shelves doesn´t do your collection justice.

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2007-06-13 13:50 ]

Thanks everyone!

I received the fabric from reprodepot this week to make the curtains and I'm hoping to find the time to do that in the next couple of weeks. Also, I agree that the shelves need a little more umph to highlight my mug collection. I have been pondering some ways to do that, and keep coming back to the idea of taking some of the 1 1/2" diameter bamboo that I have and trying to halve it and use it as a trim on the front and sides, and perhaps use some grasscloth on the surface of the shelves underneath the mugs. I've also thought about getting some sort of low-wattage small spot lighting on it from Ikea, but I might be able to accomplish a spotlight effect simply by turning the angle on one of the lamps from the central light fixture.

Any suggestions? :)

Pages: 1 7 replies