Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mixed emotions...Do we want more exposure?

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

T

"Punks not dead, it just sucks now"
A lot of us (and you know who you are) tend to seek different ground when the current one gets too overpopulated with outsiders. What fun is it to go to your secret place to escape the world when the world is waiting for you when you get there?
Getting out of punk for a little while got me into several other cool things I might never have discovered, so scene-gentrification isn't 100% bad, but still, gotta be wary of who you let through that door...

T

On 2007-06-24 20:22, twitch wrote:
A lot of us (and you know who you are) tend to seek different ground when the current one gets too overpopulated with outsiders. What fun is it to go to your secret place to escape the world when the world is waiting for you when you get there?
Getting out of punk for a little while got me into several other cool things I might never have discovered, so scene-gentrification isn't 100% bad, but still, gotta be wary of who you let through that door...

Well Put.

When the dorky kid from down the street who picks his nose and eats it is suddenly hanging out in the secret treehouse, it's time to find a new treehouse. :P

On 2007-06-24 21:10, tikiyaki wrote:

Well Put.

When the dorky kid from down the street who picks his nose and eats it is suddenly hanging out in the secret treehouse, it's time to find a new treehouse. :P

Well it appears the booger eating kids have shown up...case in point:

Locally, the establishment that used to be the Stockon Islander and became the Pollardville restaurant closed up shop.
Although far from having much of anything left of the original Islander, there were a couple of existing pieces that many true and tried tiki fans would have been interested in owning. When news of this closure was published, the story in the press was they were going to auction everything they had, including the tiki and other stuff off.
Bad news is the tiki (which was a main support in the building) and the old tiki carved handrails (which had been turned around and were not discovered until the demolition began) never made it auction. They were purchased by a local antique dealer under the table for $700.00 and now reside in their home, being held hostage for the higest bidder. This couple has said $2,400.00 for the tiki and I could not get them to give me a firm price on everything ($2,900.00 was thrown out, but not a solid figure). Thus far, they have played everyone inquiring about these items.
The best I can tell is they really don't care about tiki, they do like that it is currently a valid trend. In their booth at the local antique shop they have a few Islander mugs in the $45.00 to $60.00 range, as well as a few nodder hula girls in the $85.00 to 125.00+ range. They have done their research well and they know what they have.

So to my point; exposure and tiki being a valid trend in this case does not bode well for the collector and lover of tiki. Five, ten or twenty years ago, this couple would have not looked twice at these items, let alone pay $700.00 for them.

Be careful what you ask for...hey is that guy picking his nose?

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and that was a scratch and not a pick)!

M

It is sad that the items in the restaurant were sold under the table, but I suppose I'd rather have them preserved than lost. I suppose one strategy could be to investigate modern tiki artists that are not fully appreciated like the artists of vintage stuff and patronize them. I sure the new tiki artists would be delighted. Maybe if past relics cannot be found or purchased reasonably, then buying artifacts of the future could be a good plan B. I only wish I had the financial liquidity to bid 3k on something.

S

On 2007-06-24 21:10, tikiyaki wrote:

Well Put.

Okay, I have to give my "old punk" story here, which likely has meaning to this thread.

I suppose it was around 1982 when I had gone off to college and started hanging out with the punks and goths and freaks. Somewhere in there we had Ronny Reagan and got our ears pierced and odd haircuts and strange clothes. Walking down the street was dangerous. People would yell out at you and throw things at you out of their cars. Even the little patch of us that hung out in the back corner of one of the clubs had to handle lots of jeers just walking back to our friends. "Queer!" was the usual. We'd smile and wave. My Mom threatened to dis-own me. My friends Mom would sneak into his room with scissors to cut his hair. Doors slammed ni your face. It was fucking rough to be a punk!

Then MTV happened in there somewhere. I didn't watch it. Who has cable? I can't pay rent! But it was out there and changing things. ANd after all the abuse I had lived through for years I came home to my sleepy small hometown and saw the little paper boy come by... with like 4 earrings and a mohawk! Dorky kid. MTV had made what me and a handful of weirdos had suffered to live through into a trend that covered the world!

I soon took my earring out and never wore it again. It didn't mean anything any more. Tattoos went that way too.

We are a helluva long way from this tiki thing being mainstream, but we are already in a place where some tropical thing is mainstream and getting called tiki. A co-opting of what we do.

Very few are going to be interested in what we know as tiki via BoT, but plenty will be into Target tiki and hobby shop thatch umbrellas. And we all know they are not the same thing.

It does suck to have the two confused though.

And more and more you see men in Hawaiian shirts. That is going to continue for a long time.

we should all stop exposing ourselves before we run the risk of being arrested!!

..there are laws against this sort of thing.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-06-25 11:04 ]

On 2007-06-25 11:03, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
we should all stop exposing ourselves before we run the risk of being arrested!!

..there are laws against this sort of thing.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-06-25 11:04 ]

O.K., no more personal exposure...but is there a law about exposing other people??

100 Punks Rule!

PTD

i believe it's called "pantsing"....when you creep up behind someone, yank their shorts or pants down, thus exposing them and then proceeding to run away giggling and laughing.......

yeah...exposing others may be innappropriate too....

Do we want more exposure? Only from the sun.

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2007-06-25 15:01 ]

On 2007-06-25 12:25, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
i believe it's called "pantsing"....when you creep up behind someone, yank their shorts or pants down, thus exposing them and then proceeding to run away giggling and laughing.......

yeah...exposing others may be innappropriate too....

Inappropriate, maybe? Illegal, no! Fun, priceless!

Revenge is a dish best served cold!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and the D ain't for disco)!

I was recently interviewed for a piece about vintage style which is published in today's (UK) The Guardian G2 section ...

"Her recent wedding was no exception and was tiki-themed - 40s look - with every attendee wearing period outfits."

Here's the real wedding! http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22745&forum=15&8

I guess my dress is 40's-ish but nothing else was! And Jamie cheekytiki's gonna hate that 'tiki-themed' expression...

"A trip to any big-box store can get you a dozen decorating ideas. Tiki seems hot right now, as are all tropical themes. Throw a luau and the menu can be simple (think teriyaki chicken) or ambitious (pit-roasted pig, anyone?)"

Part of Liz Keller's last column on Interiors in the Sacramento Bee...I'm wondering how she will spin the latest "valid tiki trend"?

We will see tomorrow? Maybe!

PTD

I can sure see the advantage and disadvantage to exposure....great examples everyone. I love to see the posts of what the experts here get in the wild....and I am always amazed at the fabulous collections so many folks have. There is always someone who is going to sneak in the back door and screw the well-deserving out of the best find ever. They will benefit financially, but their hearts will never be filled with the joy of those who are passionate collectors.

No story in today's paper as originally planned. I received an pm form one of the interviewees this morning saying the writer had just seen the pictures and they were pushing the story back.

PTD

tikijoeusaf,

Here is an example of a thread that discusses the advantages and pitfalls of mainstreaming tiki to the masses.

The story did run a few weeks later and was relatively successful in portraying three different aspects of tiki genre, lifestyle and collecting.

Again, note the reporter wanted to write the story because "Tiki is a hot trend right now".

This story was written almost one year ago and to my knowledge, there has been no subsequent stories or follow-up to the one written. If tiki was such a "hot trend" as the reporter said in her email to me and a few others here, we should have seen more than just one story on the subject. Here is the thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25488&forum=1&5

I'm not sure how many copies of the Book of Tiki or Tiki Modern were printed and sold? Perhaps bigbro could shed some light on this. Maybe that is a better yardstick of participation from the masses?

Sorry to dig up this old thread, just trying to illustrate a point!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-06-13 08:01 ]

T

agreed

Pages: 1 2 64 replies